FIFA 23

Straggler

Omg the defending AI is so stupid, the worst it has ever been. I'm watching as my defence with 6 men in my own box manage to leave 2 attackers unmarked. Switching defenders does me no good as they are all so out of position I can't get anywhere near them. I just watched a goal back where my defenders formed a 4 man semicircle around a single striker, not a single one got close, not a single one got between striker and the goal and none of them tried to cut out the pass. The striker just stood there until the pass came in then boom, another goal in a 6-2 loss.  Gameplay is shite.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Omg the defending AI is so stupid, the worst it has ever been. I'm watching as my defence with 6 men in my own box manage to leave 2 attackers unmarked. Switching defenders does me no good as they are all so out of position I can't get anywhere near them. I just watched a goal back where my defenders formed a 4 man semicircle around a single striker, not a single one got close, not a single one got between striker and the goal and none of them tried to cut out the pass. The striker just stood there until the pass came in then boom, another goal in a 6-2 loss.  Gameplay is shite.

That's exactly where I am

They seem to think making your AI players **** garbage at defending is a good way to increase the difficulty, its not, it just makes it frustrating 

You can tweak the tactics and play with the sliders to make it better but you can't change it 

I've either stumbled on the settings/sliders sweet spot early or am just having some dumb luck, because the gameplay thus far has been the only thing I've felt was a tangible improvement.  Specifically the defending, funnily enough! 😅  Slide tackles are actually back as a viable option and the jostling for possession feels weightier.  I've had maybe two goals conceded where the AI has waltzed through unchallenged whilst I was getting my bearings but no more than that so far.  I've historically found that setting the controls to Legacy Defending and having your AI-controlled defender press the carrier whilst using the defender you have manual control over to guard the space behind effectively mitigates the more egregious elements of the AI gameplay and scripting.

Career Mode's promised "improvements" however are a dumpster fire.  An absolute **** dumpster fire.

• Like 1

Does anyone get constant lag on this game? I have 1GB Fibre, I get constant lag on WiFi and about half as much on a wired connection to my PS5. When your connection is bad you get a red/yellow icon showing that your connection is bad in the game. 

I have a type 2 NAT on the PS5, so that isn't an issue. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the game, not my end! 

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Does anyone get constant lag on this game? I have 1GB Fibre, I get constant lag on WiFi and about half as much on a wired connection to my PS5. When your connection is bad you get a red/yellow icon showing that your connection is bad in the game. 

I have a type 2 NAT on the PS5, so that isn't an issue. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the game, not my end! 

I haven't played FIFA online for a few years now but I ALWAYS used to get this.

Don't get it on any other game, but FIFA always had input lag. Wired connection made it slightly better but it was still bad enough that it affected the gameplay

33 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

think (not 100% though) that when playing online in FIFA it connects via P2P rather than using dedicated servers. I feel that's why it's quite often laggy cos some people are shit hosts.

I like 23 generally, but I'm conceding goals in career mode like crazy playing in League 2.

Dunno if it's the new default isometric view, which I might have to change, but I'm loathed to cos I like the way it looks, otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 15:11, GarethRDR said:

I've either stumbled on the settings/sliders sweet spot early or am just having some dumb luck, because the gameplay thus far has been the only thing I've felt was a tangible improvement.  Specifically the defending, funnily enough! 😅  Slide tackles are actually back as a viable option and the jostling for possession feels weightier.  I've had maybe two goals conceded where the AI has waltzed through unchallenged whilst I was getting my bearings but no more than that so far.  I've historically found that setting the controls to Legacy Defending and having your AI-controlled defender press the carrier whilst using the defender you have manual control over to guard the space behind effectively mitigates the more egregious elements of the AI gameplay and scripting.

Career Mode's promised "improvements" however are a dumpster fire.  An absolute **** dumpster fire.

I have also enjoyed that sliding tackles are a thing now. It also means I am picking up a more realistic amount of red and yellow cards. I don't think I ever had a player suspended in 22 for accumulation of yellows, and I have in 23. 

I have managed to stem the number of goals I am conceding a little, but it is by playing a back 5 and a DM. I also used sliders to make my keeper less shit.  However my first full season (in the second division on world class) resulted in close to 250 goals(ish) total for and against. That is a record for me. I hope it will improve as I get better players.

On 04/10/2022 at 09:44, HKP90 said:

I like 23 generally, but I'm conceding goals in career mode like crazy playing in League 2.

Dunno if it's the new default isometric view, which I might have to change, but I'm loathed to cos I like the way it looks, otherwise. 

I found that it was in part to the keepers at this level basically being broken. They don't stop anything. I put the slider up to 60 which mitigates the worst of that. The only other thing to do is pack the defence, which is not a very satisfying way of playing, and even then I still concede 3 or more fairly regularly.

26 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I found that it was in part to the keepers at this level basically being broken. They don't stop anything. I put the slider up to 60 which mitigates the worst of that. The only other thing to do is pack the defence, which is not a very satisfying way of playing, and even then I still concede 3 or more fairly regularly.

On a positive note, I'm very much enjoying the slower, more pass based gameplay, and the 'be a pro' mode, which feels more immersive this year.

**** this game.

On two occasions now it's wiped all my settings and reset them to default, including my sliders.

If I try and load my saved profile to bring those settings back, it resets them too.

If I want to play the game, I have to remember my **** slider settings and change them. Every. ****. Time.

**** EA.

Is it me, or have they just changed something? For some reason it feels more like 22 now. Faster all of a sudden. It may be me, but they just did some 'live tuning' or something. 

I do know that dynamic potential is broken. Youth players get massive downgrades between seasons. Apparently a known bug so no doubt it will be with us for months.

Youth squad is now pointless.

One example among many, my potential to be special striker who played every game he was fit for and averaged around 8/10 went down to has potential between seasons. 

EA suck

On 05/10/2022 at 22:08, HKP90 said:

Is it me, or have they just changed something? For some reason it feels more like 22 now. Faster all of a sudden. It may be me, but they just did some 'live tuning' or something. 

Something does feel like it has changed. I'm winning every game easily now by a long way. The team are more nimble and I have not conceded a goal in 3 games.

I seemed to have fixed the lag issue. Changed to WiFi instead of using the powerline, and changed the DNS to Google DNS. Minimal amount of lag now. 

41-10-6 on seasons. I think this is the only game I'm good at online now 😁

Edited by villarule123

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sliders have changed the game entirely for me. 

I was super frustrated with the defence, but with some tweaks it is 1000% better. 

I'd gone with online slider settings on a previous version, and it tweaked the game slightly for the better. Sliders in 23 just completely revolutionise the game. 

On 26/10/2022 at 10:46, HKP90 said:

Guys, sliders have changed the game entirely for me. 

I was super frustrated with the defence, but with some tweaks it is 1000% better. 

I'd gone with online slider settings on a previous version, and it tweaked the game slightly for the better. Sliders in 23 just completely revolutionise the game. 

Sounds interesting, can you give a little more detail on your settings?

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

Sounds interesting, can you give a little more detail on your settings?

I got them from the Operation Sports website.

Clicky

Here they are:

image.thumb.png.7c5fb037834c5ca51ccec6056854667d.png

I went for the slow option, as a personal preference, and had to tweak the user shot inaccuracy, as it was a little bit much for me. 

They won't be for everyone, as scores are much reduced, buy I like them.

Edited by HKP90
  • Thanks 1

Â