FIFA 23

Straggler

They've released a trailer for the World Cup mode. 47 teams, two stadia. 

Compared to 2010 and 2014. A stand alone game with all 200+ nations, a true qualifying campaign from any confederation and every stadium at the World Cup.

I hate ea sports so much

This game is weird.

I've always been a PES player, but that's gone to shit, so I scabbed this game off my lad by downloading it off his account onto my PS4. 

I'm using the Operation Sports sliders to reel it in a bit. I play offline only, so can't be doing with the speed/skill fest online. 

Last night, I had 2-3 games where the tempo was good, certain passages of play looked realistic. 

Then I played a game and it was mental, like the speed has been revved up, I could just run through the AI and shoot at will. 

I guess it will have to do for now. I'm 39 now, so need to realise a pure sim of footy will never exist and it is all geared up for FUT and pack opening. 

On 30/10/2022 at 08:19, GarethRDR said:

Have any of the latest patches fixed the slider/personal settings resetting randomly yet?

Just checked and the answer is no.  There is a work around that involves saving all your settings to your profile, but it just makes it a bit quicker to reload them, it does not stop them from resetting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

Just checked and the answer is no.  There is a work around that involves saving all your settings to your profile, but it just makes it a bit quicker to reload them, it does not stop them from resetting.

Yeah I picked it back up again and same shit.  I'd thought to do the save/re-load profile as a workaround originally but frustratingly, that doesn't seem to work and the reset overrides whatever profile save I had back to the default settings anyway.  So I'm stuck redoing all the slides every 3/4th session until they patch it, which is a crapshoot as to when.

JFC do they need to **** off those bollocks transfer cut scenes and "grading" quick smart.  Nobody asked for it, the novelty wears off almost immediately because it's the same ridiculous cut scenes each time and all it does is slow things down.  The grading doesn't even work, I've had F grades for transfers where the feedback was "you could have saved £0 more in this transfer" and the grades don't have any material impact anyway, so why include them?  Who's benefit are they for?  It's a hand-wave.  A token.  A distraction from not making any actual impactful improvements to CM this year.  One of these years maybe I'll finally convince myself to actually hold off until they hit the bargain bins.  One of these years... one of these years...

As a player who only plays career mode a lot of the same annoying broken things still carry over.

Trying to sell a weaker player in my team and I have accepted about 10 bids already and the negotiations between the player constantly break down.

Getting a load of offers for my players the day after the transfer window closes.

Players looking for a new contract but you cant offer them one due to their age (Ashley young in my case). So constant reminders and messages from the board and the player and there's nothing you can do. 

21 hours ago, heffoman said:

Getting a load of offers for my players the day after the transfer window closes.

Transfer deadline day has been pointless/broken for selling players since it's implementation however many iterations ago.  Unless you have offers accepted with at least 6 hours to go, you're not selling anyone.  It happens to be full-on broken for American/South American Leagues as well, every player sale I've ever agreed during January deadline day playing in those leagues falls through without fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Transfer deadline day has been pointless/broken for selling players since it's implementation however many iterations ago.  Unless you have offers accepted with at least 6 hours to go, you're not selling anyone.  It happens to be full-on broken for American/South American Leagues as well, every player sale I've ever agreed during January deadline day playing in those leagues falls through without fail.

And it should be a simple fix to get rid of it but it theres year after year.

I always invest heavily in my scouts but rarely pays dividends while i m using a decent team like Villa. The players take years to even get to the basic level of the team you have. There should be the odd rough diamond if your scouting set up is good enough.

One of the few benefits to systems not being changed between multiple games is I've long since found and settled on what I believe (for me, at least) is the optimum approach for player scouting/instructions.

For instructions, I have:

1. Any position, Age Range 16-21, "Promising"
  2. Central Defence, Age Range 16-28, "First Team Player"
  3. Full Back*, Age Range 16-28, "First Team Player"
  4. Central Midfield, Age Range 16-28, "First Team Player"
  5. Winger, Age Range 16-28, "First Team Player"
  6. Attacker, Age Range 16-28, "First Team Player"

* - If I'm playing a 3-5-2 or any other system that doesn't use full backs, I'll change this instruction to Goalkeeper.

These instructions then remain unchanged, but at the start of every new season I go into each instruction and "select" it again (by which I mean clicking into the existing instruction, clicking into the position field then immediately clicking back out again without changing anything).  What this essentially does is "refreshes" the instruction, which is beneficial as chances are the quality level of players you want that would represent a First Team addition would increase season-on-season as your team's OVRs grow.

In terms of where you're sending scouts, ultimately that's up to you but what I would have as an absolute constant is at least one of your scouts not assigned to any country, and use him to scout individual players that you search for yourself via the manual search parameters; what this allows you to do is take advantage of a bug eccentricity of unassigned scouts, for some reason they can scout individual players across different countries at the same time.  Quite how they manage being in two places at once, well, who's to say?!

On 01/11/2022 at 17:29, YLN said:

They've released a trailer for the World Cup mode. 47 teams, two stadia. 

Compared to 2010 and 2014. A stand alone game with all 200+ nations, a true qualifying campaign from any confederation and every stadium at the World Cup.

I hate ea sports so much

I mean, I'm fully on board with the broad principle of "grab the torches and pitchforks and march on EA HQ", but isn't a free version like '18 and '23 far better for the average player than having to fork out another thirty to forty quid as the standalone World Cup games cost in 2010 and 2014?

On 05/11/2022 at 21:36, MellbergsBeard said:

Anyone play much ultimate team?

Yup, far more than a man of my advancing years really should.

Div 5, might get into Div 4 before the season resets on Thursday 

Screenshot-20221108-170323-Companion.jpg

I do really need to stop one of these years and do something more productive with my hour before bed.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I mean, I'm fully on board with the broad principle of "grab the torches and pitchforks and march on EA HQ", but isn't a free version like '18 and '23 far better for the average player than having to fork out another thirty to forty quid as the standalone World Cup games cost in 2010 and 2014?

There was always an international cup in fifa games. There may have even been a world cup. The 2018 and 2022 world cup modes are international cups with a bit of paint and little else. 

The 2010 2014 games were like €30 and allowed players to play as any country in the world with a full roster of real life players to choose your squad from. They actually had to research the players for st vincent of grenadine.

In the most recent world cup game mode in 2018 you couldn't pick a squad even for the few teams that were included. You had to pick your bench of 7 for each match rather than being able to choose subs from any in your squad.

It was a complete game with training and a full qualification mode for all the confederations. This was not the world cup game mode you get from fifa now but for free. This was extensive and had effort and was definitely a passion project for some FIFA team.

As if EA would make any decision that saves money for the players. Culling FIFA World Cup games was a decision made in the interest of putting more devs on FUT and nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YLN said:

There was always an international cup in fifa games. There may have even been a world cup. The 2018 and 2022 world cup modes are international cups with a bit of paint and little else. 

The 2010 2014 games were like €30 and allowed players to play as any country in the world with a full roster of real life players to choose your squad from. They actually had to research the players for st vincent of grenadine.

In the most recent world cup game mode in 2018 you couldn't pick a squad even for the few teams that were included. You had to pick your bench of 7 for each match rather than being able to choose subs from any in your squad.

It was a complete game with training and a full qualification mode for all the confederations. This was not the world cup game mode you get from fifa now but for free. This was extensive and had effort and was definitely a passion project for some FIFA team.

As if EA would make any decision that saves money for the players. Culling FIFA World Cup games was a decision made in the interest of putting more devs on FUT and nothing else.

You're quite right, I was just basing my perspective on my FUT-loser way of playing, rather than on the other modes that might get value out of that sort of thing.

Guess we just chalk it up to yet another example of every bit of effort being put into that mode and nothing into the ways that don't bring in the income.

Edited by ml1dch

• 1 month later...

There’s a good deal currently for this game for anyone interested.

If you have Fifa 22 log into the splash screen and there is a link to 40% off, however, it combines with the 50% off in the game store so standard edition goes down from £59.99 to £17.99.

If you have EA play the price comes down to £11.99 for xbox one or £13.99 for series S/X

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2022 at 09:44, HKP90 said:

I like 23 generally, but I'm conceding goals in career mode like crazy playing in League 2.

Dunno if it's the new default isometric view, which I might have to change, but I'm loathed to cos I like the way it looks, otherwise. 

Loath. It's a synonym of reluctant.

Loathe is a verb, synonym of hate.

In case you were interested

I know that FUT is the devil's work and to be mocked, derided and cast into the fires of hell. I KNOW that. And this year definitely has to be the year that I stop wasting my time on it. 

But I've never had a team like this so early in the game.

Screenshot-20221218-194447-Companion.jpg

All untradeable apart from De Bruyne who came from a preview pack. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

Got round to buying this after testing the Beta version. EA want shooting. The demo was brilliant. Fluid, felt fun to play, pinging passing and good AI player movement. Jesus this is sluggish, slow, at times unresponsive. Even the menu is sluggish. What the hell have EA done!?

I'm staggered how they can mess up what felt in the beta release a great return to how FIFA used to play.

Edited by stewiek2

On 24/12/2022 at 12:54, stewiek2 said:

Got round to buying this after testing the Beta version. EA want shooting. The demo was brilliant. Fluid, felt fun to play, pinging passing and good AI player movement. Jesus this is sluggish, slow, at times unresponsive. Even the menu is sluggish. What the hell have EA done!?

I'm staggered how they can mess up what felt in the beta release a great return to how FIFA used to play.

They seem to do this every year. The problem is, as a community we keep giving them obscene amounts of money, despite them constantly providing a buggy mess. No competition, no consequences, no incentive to do better.

Â