Pitch Invasions

Demitri_C

Looks like they are going to seriously stamp down on this

Clicky

Pitch invaders at Premier League and English Football League matches will receive an automatic club ban under new measures to tackle fan behaviour.

Concerns were raised about safety at grounds after a number of pitch invasions at the end of last season.

Individuals who carry or use pyrotechnics or smoke bombs will also be banned and identified offenders will be reported to the police.

The Football Association will also implement tougher sanctions for clubs.

It is an offence for fans to enter the pitch "without lawful authority or lawful excuse" under the Football Offences Act 1991 - but offenders have not always been prosecuted.

However, prosecuting offenders will now be the "default response" under the new measures.

The leagues and the FA will:

Work with clubs to improve searches of individuals

Increase use of sniffer dogs at grounds

Work with social media platforms to quickly remove fan-generated videos of illegal behaviour

Ask the government to restrict the supply of pyrotechnics and smoke bombs

Potentially ban accompanying parents or guardians of children who take part in illegal behaviour

The Premier League, EFL and FA will also work with police forces to "establish a new principle for cases relating to pyrotechnics and smoke bombs".

Premier League clubs agreed new measures to deal with pitch invasions last month following a series of incidents.

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

What about chucking coins and bottles? 

That already gets a ban doesn't it?  Sadly the absolute dregs of society have ruined the pitch invasion as a spontaneous act of celebration so it needs to be cut out of the game.  I think they need to concentrate on ways of preventing rather than punishing, probably by condoning off rows of seats.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only thing is if you have thousands running on the pitch you banning all thousand of them? Cant see it myself

Im glad they banning the idiots who bring flares in. 

With the amount of cctv, it wouldn’t be too hard to trace people back to their seats. Or identify people over social media. If clubs don’t cooperate with the policy, they’ll be fined I imagine so I could see large amounts of people get banned in one go.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s already an offence to go on the pitch, there’s signs all over VP.

I dont recall anyone getting punished though.

I remember when i went to the villa -boro play off 2nd leg ans then everyone was getting ready to run on the pitch. People were acting like absolute fools that night 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont recall anyone getting punished though.

I remember when i went to the villa -boro play off 2nd leg ans then everyone was getting ready to run on the pitch. People were acting like absolute fools that night 

I remember as a kid at VP seeing the signs saying that entering the pitch is a criminal offence.

If it’s ones of 2’s then they’ll possibly spend the night in the cells maximum (like now).

If it’s hundreds or thousands then there’s nothing they can do really (like now).

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

With the amount of cctv, it wouldn’t be too hard to trace people back to their seats. Or identify people over social media. If clubs don’t cooperate with the policy, they’ll be fined I imagine so I could see large amounts of people get banned in one go.

Those on the season ticket wait list can live in hope. 

Agreed this is all talk. Nothing changes, and unless they're going to try and devote the resources to tracking people down retrospectively to ban thousands of people, nothing will change. They'll make an example of a couple of people but it's nowhere near enough to discourage people from doing it.

Where there are mass pitch invasions rather than a couple of idiots, there need to be severe sanctions against the clubs, IMO. Huge fines, and games behind closed doors for the first offence, and perhaps even points deductions or for cup games, being kicked out in the following season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

For big games, semi finals, playoffs etc. where there could be an invasion just put up a perspex fence or barrier temporarily for one game. Problem solved. 

This is just politically untenable in the UK, IMO.

Closing rows and having them covered as well as a heavy steward/police presence nicking anyone who tries to cross the closed rows are probably the next best thing, without conjuring up imagery of Hillsborough. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I'm going to be the contrarian 'pitch invasions are a part of football culture in this country' guy. It's both normal and traditional for fans to celebrate on the pitch when enormous moments happen, and the previous situation of in theory outlawing it but in practice turning a blind eye was fine. The guy who attacked Sharp was sent to prison, as he should have been, so it's not impossible to identify and punish those who actually deserve it.

I'm being a bit deliberately provocative, but I don't *not* think this either, to some extent.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm going to be the contrarian 'pitch invasions are a part of football culture in this country' guy. It's both normal and traditional for fans to celebrate on the pitch when enormous moments happen, and the previous situation of in theory outlawing it but in practice turning a blind eye was fine. The guy who attacked Sharp was sent to prison, as he should have been, so it's not impossible to identify and punish those who actually deserve it.

I'm being a bit deliberately provocative, but I don't *not* think this either, to some extent.

One the one hand I agree but there did seem to be an increase in acts of violence against opposition players/staff last season. If I were a player or staff member a pitch invasion would terrify me (all those pissed up/coked up idiots- how long before someone pulls a knife) and I do think they need protecting. But then maybe I’m a misery because I’ve always hated them anyway. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is just politically untenable in the UK, IMO.

Closing rows and having them covered as well as a heavy steward/police presence nicking anyone who tries to cross the closed rows are probably the next best thing, without conjuring up imagery of Hillsborough. 

Police don’t have the numbers to supply to football matches on that scale anymore I would say and stewards aren’t much more than a visible presence. 

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Police don’t have the numbers to supply to football matches on that scale anymore I would say and stewards aren’t much more than a visible presence. 

Yeah i agree with that and thats fundamentally the problem. As davkaus says putting fences up we certainly dont want another Hillsborough disaster.  I dont see how you punish large groups to be honest.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i agree with that and thats fundamentally the problem. As davkaus says putting fences up we certainly dont want another Hillsborough disaster.  I dont see how you punish large groups to be honest.

I think the Police put the issue into the club/league/competition. If people enter the pitch en-masse then they will be kicked out of the competition. That would focus the minds. If one or 2 still did it then they can be arrested. 

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

One the one hand I agree but there did seem to be an increase in acts of violence against opposition players/staff last season. If I were a player or staff member a pitch invasion would terrify me (all those pissed up/coked up idiots- how long before someone pulls a knife) and I do think they need protecting. But then maybe I’m a misery because I’ve always hated them anyway. 

it's only a matter of time before someone gets injured. and i'm not just talking about attacks, i always remember my heart in my mouth watching this gurning coked up moron hanging off nyland's neck in the carabao cup pitch invasion. players must absolutely hate it

i hope it serves as a deterrent. yes you can say if 1000s do it what are the chances of you getting banned...but would you take the risk?

i hate them. i want to see the players on the pitch celebrating an important win in front of the fans.

• Like 1

Â