Pitch Invasions

Demitri_C

Something does need to be done or eventually a player will end up seriously hurt. With cameras etc it should be possible to ban large amounts of pitch invaders.

People will just have to get their celebratory Instagram selfies in the stand rather than on the pitch.

I just think that pitch invasions are incredibly small time especially for a club like us. Quarter final win vs West Brom or Championship semi final borefest vs Boro were hardly elite celebration moments

It does seem to be mainly an English football thing to celebrate that way. Was a few incidents in France last season but they were protests at the team Bordeaux and St Etienne fans as both went down

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

One the one hand I agree but there did seem to be an increase in acts of violence against opposition players/staff last season. If I were a player or staff member a pitch invasion would terrify me (all those pissed up/coked up idiots- how long before someone pulls a knife) and I do think they need protecting. But then maybe I’m a misery because I’ve always hated them anyway.

Yeah, I think the rise in cocaine use among fans is probably the main thing that makes me doubt/disagree with the pro-relaxed-about-pitch-invasions position. It didn't use to be so common, and it does affect people's judgment. I personally can't understand the appeal of doing coke and then going to a football match, I'd be completely hyper and twitchy and would hate being in a crowd, but no denying it's becoming more common.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I just think that pitch invasions are incredibly small time especially for a club like us. Quarter final win vs West Brom or Championship semi final borefest vs Boro were hardly elite celebration moments

It does seem to be mainly an English football thing to celebrate that way. Was a few incidents in France last season but they were protests at the team Bordeaux and St Etienne fans as both went down

That one when some stupid morons ran on before the game had even finished was a complete and utter embarrassment. Muppets of the highest order. 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I think the rise in cocaine use among fans is probably the main thing that makes me doubt/disagree with the pro-relaxed-about-pitch-invasions position. It didn't use to be so common, and it does affect people's judgment. I personally can't understand the appeal of doing coke and then going to a football match, I'd be completely hyper and twitchy and would hate being in a crowd, but no denying it's becoming more common.

I don't live in the UK anymore but went back recently for the first time in about ten years. The one thing that surprised me was the prevalence of cheap coke. It seemed like people were doing it everywhere and in scenarios (saw a few at Sunday pub lunch) that made no sense unless you're an addict.

I'm with you in that it blows (pun intended) my mind that people want to do coke at a game, though to be fair I'm old now so anything more than a couple of beers is out of my world. But in my day cheap coke was all cut with speed (or so I'm told) and the idea of having a bunch of morons on amphetamines in a crowd is a recipe for disaster.  I'm not saying that coke isn't terrible, but speed is even worse.

I do have nostalgia for the days of celebratory pitch invasions, but that was in the 80s and 90s which had their own problems, so maybe it's just my selective memory.

Tl;dr, ban pitch invasions, punish everyone, have sirens on the urinals that detect the devil's dandruff.

Â