Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Carlos is not a bad CB at all, but he does have a lapse of concentration in him from time to time.

I think people would do well to remember that he has played a total of TEN MATCHES in English domestic football too, so this is a fairly new experience for him and we will need to bear with him at times. 

100%, we need to give him (playing) time.

Diego and Konsa at the same time is suboptimal but we don’t have another choice if Cash is to be rotated for rest or form and Diego does need playing time. 

He won’t be in our best league pairing because everything is a half second faster but Unai must have used the Bournemouth game as an opportunity for minutes. 

Not to single him out because lots of our team had a bad day, but I'm not sure what he was doing for both of Emi's amazing close-range saves. Seemed to let his man run right past him or be marking no one in particular

Diego has started:

Hibs (A)

Burnley (A)

Wolves (A)

AZ (A)

AZ (H)

Tottenham (A)

Bournemouth (A)

Convincing in the conference league games but I would say probably Burnley the only good start away and they're relegation fodder.

Not keen on persisting with this set up but Unai seems to want to try and push on with it.

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

He won’t be in our best league pairing because everything is a half second faster but Unai must have used the Bournemouth game as an opportunity for minutes. 

Doubt it - he started the same back four VS Spurs. And he's not the type to take any game for granted.

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Doubt it - he started the same back four VS Spurs. And he's not the type to take any game for granted.

Eh - on the truth of it - we were overrun in that first half as well with Diego. An exceptional offside trap and some poor finishing saved us there too before we wrestled control and Spurs predictably tired.

And while Unai might say he won't take any game for granted, I'm of the opinion he did put out the strongest XI and opted for rotation against Bournemouth for some big games against City and Arsenal. But that's just my reading of the situation.

He had a poor game yesterday. However we can't blame the defenders for everything. I find it no coincidence that our right side struggled so badly with Kamara not playing.

Had Kamara played I'm sure we would've faired better defensively. Him usually drops into that RCB position to turn our back 4 into a five. This definitely impacted the amount of protection our defense usually has, as with as the normal organisation. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He had a poor game yesterday. However we can't blame the defenders for everything. I find it no coincidence that our right side struggled so badly with Kamara not playing.

Had Kamara played I'm sure we would've faired better defensively. Him usually drops into that RCB position to turn our back 4 into a five. This definitely impacted the amount of protection our defense usually has, as with as the normal organisation. 

Agreed - Unai gave this group a shot but surely saw the problems.

But given our depth, he has to try and some different configurations to try and keep players fit for the whole campaign.

If you take a look at the clip of Konsa's excellent last ditch tackle, it's another example of Diego not being completely up to speed with how we play.

Konsa is on the same line as Digne and so should Diego as he's looking directly at DIgne. I'm hoping Konsa gives him the shout but Diego is playing deepest with our defenders and ends up playing the Bournemouth player on when it could have been another successful trap.

I think Unai realised he needed Diego to go toe to toe with Haaland and he's probably the only defender that competenwith him physically right now, with Ty out. Diego was fantastic tonight. 

Ezri at right back made sense because we know he doesn't get dribbled past. 

Â