Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I guess he will be battling it out with Ty for a spot in our first 11. I think a lot of people forget this guy was rated as and staticically one of the best CBs in Europe when we signed him. Didn't Sevilla have one of the best defences in La Liga when we signed him?

If he can come back from his injury the same player it will be huge for us. 

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 1

Given that we're (apparently) buying Torres, you have to wonder if his injury is more serious than they thought.

If he's healthy, at least one, and maybe two, of Mings, Konsa, Diego, and Torres will not be happy with their playing time. It probably won't be Torres given that he's new, and shouldn't be Mings.

(Unless we play Konsa as a non-attacking right back, but then Cash won't be happy. Or unless we go 5-3-2.)

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s done. It’s a really shame.

Opinion or any knowledge? 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s done. It’s a really shame.

Carlos and Torres were two of the the best - if not the best - CBs in La Liga. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them playing as our first choice partnership before too long, or as a 3 with Mings/Konsa and Moreno in a wing back role. 

He was getting minutes before the end of the season and pinging balls all over the place. No evidence at all that he won’t be back to his best this season. 

• Like 4

Just now, Awol said:

Carlos and Torres were two of the the best - if not the best - CBs in La Liga. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them playing as our first choice partnership before too long, or as a 3 with Mings/Konsa and Moreno in a wing back role. 

He was getting minutes before the end of the season and pinging balls all over the place. No evidence at all that he won’t be back to his best this season. 

Was he? He came on once and then didn’t feature again.  As I said I hope I’m totally wrong. I just reckon he would have featured more if all was right. He came on once and then we didn’t see him again.

it will be really interesting to see if he is done or not, wont be interesting for our finances though if he is.

Wesley never made it back from his injury properly (although not the same injury ofc), i do wonder if Carlos will be the same player.

Fingers crossed he is, but tbh, i wont hold my breath either.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not sure about that given how crucial our end of season run in was and how well Mings and Konsa were playing.  I think we would have seen more of him had we been on the beach and they could have eased him in gently.

Hope you’re right mate.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

100% opinion. Injury was a really nasty one and he’s just turned 30. Hope I’m completely wrong of course.

Thanks. 

I too hope you’re wrong mate. 

this was his 25 min cameo against wolves, doesnt show any real defensive movement, turns, acceleration etc, so hard to ascertain how the injury impacted him in that sense.

His passing/composure looked as good as ever though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TomC said:

Given that we're (apparently) buying Torres, you have to wonder if his injury is more serious than they thought.

If he's healthy, at least one, and maybe two, of Mings, Konsa, Diego, and Torres will not be happy with their playing time. It probably won't be Torres given that he's new, and shouldn't be Mings.

(Unless we play Konsa as a non-attacking right back, but then Cash won't be happy. Or unless we go 5-3-2.)

Ah the old let's play a potentially 50 + game season with just 3 out and out CBs narrative.

I don't get the opinion sometimes. People continually demand a bigger squad....and then want to sell off proven top level players once we sign players in their positions.

Think of Chambers playing in the league cup rounds last season...that's Diego's minutes right there + europa and if he does well I'm sure he'll be starting premier league games soon enough if not in August.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ah the old let's play a potentially 50 + game season with just 3 out and out CBs narrative.

I don't get the opinion sometimes. People continually demand a bigger squad....and then want to sell off proven top level players once we sign players in their positions.

Think of Chambers playing in the league cup rounds last season...that's Diego's minutes right there + europa and if he does well I'm sure he'll be starting premier league games soon enough if not in August.

I'm not someone who wants to sell off, say, Dendoncker. I understand squad depth. And at this point, if we're going to have all 4 of Konsa/Mings/Diego/Torres for this year, great. I just worry about the long-term stability of this particular situation, i.e. after this season.

I'm a believer that you want your team to be roughly 50% players who are at the peak of the career, 25% older players who may not be able to put in as many minutes but bring leadership and experience to the table, and 25% younger players who are working their way up the ladder and are your future. (I said roughly, it could be 20-60-20 or whatever.) JJ is a good example of the youngster, Ashley Young a good example of the old guy. Both were able to contribute many, many meaningful minutes last year, but neither one expected to play, or did play, every match. They weren't second rate players, just not at their peak.

The problem with Diego/Mings/Konsa/Torres is that you have 4 players at the peak of their career. That's where I think that someone might be unhappy. On the top of that, CBs seem to be the least rotated, even in teams that rotate heavily. They also seem to be the least subbed late in matches. When you're the critical last line of defence, developing an understanding and knowing what your partner is going to do is crucial. I just don't see Unai doing a 4 CB rotation in PL matches, and is Diego (or is anyone else among the 4) going to be happy playing just League Cup matches? What if we go out early from one or both domestic cups again? If, say, Mings and Torres are outstanding in the PL, is Unai really going to want to change for European matches?

Someone is probably going to want out next summer. I am not saying sell any of them right now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I honestly wouldn't hold out hope on him. Bad injury at 30 to have.

If I was to predict I expect 6 months of being a rare squad player and a loan to Brazil in January.

Bet you are fun at parties 

1 hour ago, TomC said:

I'm not someone who wants to sell off, say, Dendoncker. I understand squad depth. And at this point, if we're going to have all 4 of Konsa/Mings/Diego/Torres for this year, great. I just worry about the long-term stability of this particular situation, i.e. after this season.

I'm a believer that you want your team to be roughly 50% players who are at the peak of the career, 25% older players who may not be able to put in as many minutes but bring leadership and experience to the table, and 25% younger players who are working their way up the ladder and are your future. (I said roughly, it could be 20-60-20 or whatever.) JJ is a good example of the youngster, Ashley Young a good example of the old guy. Both were able to contribute many, many meaningful minutes last year, but neither one expected to play, or did play, every match. They weren't second rate players, just not at their peak.

The problem with Diego/Mings/Konsa/Torres is that you have 4 players at the peak of their career. That's where I think that someone might be unhappy. On the top of that, CBs seem to be the least rotated, even in teams that rotate heavily. They also seem to be the least subbed late in matches. When you're the critical last line of defence, developing an understanding and knowing what your partner is going to do is crucial. I just don't see Unai doing a 4 CB rotation in PL matches, and is Diego (or is anyone else among the 4) going to be happy playing just League Cup matches? What if we go out early from one or both domestic cups again? If, say, Mings and Torres are outstanding in the PL, is Unai really going to want to change for European matches?

Someone is probably going to want out next summer. I am not saying sell any of them right now.

Yeah next summer is different.

I think if Carlos isn't first choice or playing that much he'll be loaned back to Spain.

Not sure when Konsa latest deal expires but if he's got two years left he might be one we cash in on. He had a fantastic last three months after being average for quite some time so can he sustain that form over a full season with european games?

My point is though we went down this road so many times in the past. Doing well with a core squad of 14-16 outfield players. Then we either just signed players mainly for the bench and discovered they weren't good enough when they played or just assumed the key players would never get injured so didn't strengthen in other areas and then lost form when a Carew or Grealish would be out for months.

This time feels different as Tielemans and Torres are players good enough to slot straight into the first 11 based on previous form but it's not quite a guarantee. 

I think for next season what may happen is Carlos will come on with half an hour left in games where we're having plenty of possession, not defending much and need quick incisive passing to open teams up.

Say it's 0-0 with an hour left at home to Everton. We don't need Konsa-Mings just passing the ball between themselves and slowing us down a bit, we need quick progressive passes to try to get our forward players directly against a defence. Think that was UE's thinking when he put Carlos on v Wolves so we'll see that a few more times in early part of next season.

Â