Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

If we play to our full potential this season, I don't see why we can't get 7th. Our squad is really good now. Honestly the only thing separating us and the genuine top 6 teams is 1 genuinely world class player or 2, but even them some teams like Arsenal don't even have that. Who knows, maybe Bouba or Emi or even Leon could develop into one by the end of the season. Coutinho was one himself not too long ago. This is all to say there's a lot of potential in this team.

• Like 1

Anything below Top ten should see manager relieved of his duties. The huge expansion of the wage bill and improvement of personnel in key areas means that Top 8 is really minimum expectation. 

I’m still thinking 9th really happy —- 12th not fantastic but still a goer , I don’t think above 9th is realistic and below 12th we are much better than that , I keep going back to where we were a short time ago , the others teams currently around us being well in front , time to establish and keep building , we are a good side going in the right direction, UTFV !!!

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

Anything below Top ten should see manager relieved of his duties. The huge expansion of the wage bill and improvement of personnel in key areas means that Top 8 is really minimum expectation. 

I think it will take something pretty drastic for the club to abandon project Stevie G.

Then of course there is bringing in someone to get better than 10th place.

10th or thereabouts is reasonable imo.

1 minute ago, Chine said:

I don’t think above 9th is realistic 

Whilst I don't think it's " unrealistic ", I think people genuinely underestimate how tough it will be up there with strong competitors, some of which were already strong, and will get even stronger.

For me, optimistically 8th , and anything above is backflips.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whilst I don't think it's " unrealistic ", I think people genuinely underestimate how tough it will be up there with strong competitors, some of which were already strong, and will get even stronger.

Agree , seriously tough up there and I’m not saying we should be continually happy with midtable but we are going in the right direction, hopefully wel push on keep the progression going and crack the top 6-7 , our lords seem like the kind of men who will keep investing to get and keep us there 

Squad wise we have the potential to be up there in 7th. 

10th or above and I'd be happy. 

I still have some doubts Gerrard will achieve it. I'm still worried he doesn't know his best team when it comes to the final 3rd.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well Gerrard is telling the squad he expects top 7

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well Gerrard is telling the squad he expects top 7

I think 7th would require a lot of luck with injuries, huge improvements from certain members of the squad, and significant tactical changes to Gerrard's setup from last season.  7th is hilariously optimistic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I think 7th would require a lot of luck with injuries, huge improvements from certain members of the squad, and significant tactical changes to Gerrard's setup from last season.  7th is hilariously optimistic.

7th would likely require us to finished above the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, Palace. None of those are so far ahead of us that 7th should be "hilariously optimistic". Especially given Gerrard (with his tactical setup and all) had us tracking 9th in his time last season.

If 9th the baseline straight out of last season (which for me it is), and we already look to have fixed the biggest personnel issue holding back Gerrard's tactical setup last season, I don't see why 7th isn't achievable. Add to that we appear to have also improved with Carlos a back line that was 8th best in the league in terms of goals conceded under Gerrard. None of the other teams listed above appear to have improved as much yet this window.

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

7th would likely require us to finished above the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, Palace. None of those are so far ahead of us that 7th should be "hilariously optimistic". Especially given Gerrard (with his tactical setup and all) had us tracking 9th in his time last season.

If 9th the baseline straight out of last season (which for me it is), and we already look to have fixed the biggest personnel issue holding back Gerrard's tactical setup last season, I don't see why 7th isn't achievable. Add to that we appear to have also improved with Carlos a back line that was 8th best in the league in terms of goals conceded under Gerrard. None of the other teams listed above appear to have improved as much yet this window.

It's been said elsewhere the squad is decent. The telling factor is how they perform as a team.

Certainly as a collection of footballers there is a lot of talent there.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Squad wise we have the potential to be up there in 7th. 

10th or above and I'd be happy. 

I still have some doubts Gerrard will achieve it. I'm still worried he doesn't know his best team when it comes to the final 3rd.

I think we have the 7th best squad in league if played to their potential. Gerrard has privately stated that 7th is the aim. Kind of making a rod for his own back but I respect it. I'll be judging his season by how close he gets to his target. A really good manager can get us 7th I believe. Really hope Gerrard is that guy.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think 7th to 11th will be a lottery of sorts, at the end of the season you'll probably be able to throw a hankie over the teams competing for those spots.

I used to work with a bloke called John Hankie 

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's been said elsewhere the squad is decent. The telling factor is how they perform as a team.

Certainly as a collection of footballers there is a lot of talent there.

IMO they improved as a team last season. As did a number of key individuals. Felt to me more tactically clear and effective than late Smith had done and certain players got it and made great strides in the system.

Where it was less effective seemed to me for the most part much more down to certain individuals clearly unsuited to the roles they were asked to perform rather than major failings of the setup itself. IMO we've already fixed the biggest of these problem areas and we are clearly still looking for more players with this system in mind before the window closes.

• Haha 1

Â