The VT Definitive All Time Greatest Movies by Genre

theboyangel

28 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

It's not if your going by the strict genre tropes/definitions, but it did get tags like Neo-Western thrown at it.  So I'm having it, because they aren't 3 traditional Westerns that I actually like all that much.

as you also went with Bone Tomahawk , all is forgiven :) 

• Haha 1

Some potential for crossover here, with action/sci fi etc, but I'll start with:

Comedy 

Trading Places

Withnail & I

Uncle Buck

Drama 

Dead Man's Shoes

A Room For Romeo Brass

Kes

Action 

Where Eagles Dare

Terminator 2

The Matrix

Comedy
Airplane!
Hot Fuzz
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Drama 
The Shawshank Redemption
No Country for Old Men
Goodfellas

Thriller
The Fugitive
Children of Men
Three Days of the Condor

Action
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Terminator 2
The Dark Knight

Sci-fi
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Matrix
Back to the Future

Horror
Alien
The Shining
Jaws

Western
3.10 to Yuma
Blazing Saddles 
Tombstone

Animated
The Incredibles
Beauty and the Beast
Finding Nemo

Musical
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz

Foreign language
Parasite
The Secret In Their Eyes
City of God

Christmas Movie
Muppets Christmas Carol
Die Hard 
Home Alone

Documentary
13th
Bowling for Columbine
Free Solo

Some cross definition films here. Could have added more categories.

• Like 1

Comedy.

Jo Jo Rabbit.    What a film!  Funny, tragic, set in WW2 and with an soundtrack that's German versions of classic pops songs. 

This is Spinal Tap.  This is the first mockumentary I can recall.  I hope I die by choking on vomit that's not my own.  

Knight & Day.  I cannot believe that I am including.  Its a guilty pleasure.  Its all action nonsense. Tom Cruises portrays  an overly friendly and overly confident hero and does it perfectly. 

Action.

JAWS.  Just an all time classic.  

Skyfall.  I am not a big fan of Bond.  This was the first Bond Movie that I thought was an excellent film as opposed to an excellent Bond film.  The plot has more holes than the foundations at St Andrews.  But its action.  

The Dark Knight.  Heath Ledger's performance must be one of the greatest of all time.  

Mild Horror. 

Aliens.  I jumped out of my skin when I first saw this. It's even got a character called Spunkmeyer and no-one mentions it.  

Silence Of The Lambs.  Its amazing how we can be scared by what we don't see and events the characters recount.  If you like the film I recommend reading the book.  It's got some major differences. 

Nosferatu 1922.  This film is 100 years old!  It' was groundbreaking in its time and is still worth a watch.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

“foreign language” as a film genre is a weird one… not sure a Japanese martial arts film has much in common with a Spanish romantic comedy

Nowadays with streaming services it’s much easier to watch loads of foreign language films and it’s less of a niche middle class culture culture hobby… maybe better to just include them in the main categories

No

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Comedy.

Jo Jo Rabbit.    What a film!  Funny, tragic, set in WW2 and with an soundtrack that's German versions of classic pops songs. 

That’s a good shout and one I overlooked (for shame)

I’ll never get bored of this scene 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Needs a crime category!

There are so many good sub-genres of crime... Mafia, Heist, Murder Mystery, Police Comedy, etc.

Besides the stuff that's already been mentioned a lot (Godfather, Goodfellas, etc) I think these three are excellent

• LA Confidential
  • Carlito's Way
  • Chinatown

• Like 2

I'm not a big film watcher but I'll give it a go

Comedy: Four Lions, Sideways, Office Space

Drama/Crime: Shawshank, Usual Suspects, Seven

Action: Goldeneye, Empire Of The State, Bourne Identity

Sci-Fi: Jurassic Park, that's about it

Horror: Scream, Silence Of The Lambs I guess

Think we need a ‘War’ movie category as well? Huge selection to choose from.

Off the top of my head and no way I could pick three, but some of my favourites have been:

The Colditz Story, The One That Got Away, The Wooden Horse, The Train, The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare, Zulu, Saving Private Ryan, 1917, Dunkirk, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Hurt Locker, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Das Boot, The Thin Red Line, Lone Survivor, American Sniper, The Pianist, Schindlers List, 13 Hours, Defiance, The Dam Busters, Downfall, Ice Cold in Alex, Apocalypse Now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Think we need a ‘War’ movie category as well? Huge selection to choose from.

Off the top of my head and no way I could pick three, but some of my favourites have been:

The Colditz Story, The One That Got Away, The Wooden Horse, The Train, The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare, Zulu, Saving Private Ryan, 1917, Dunkirk, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Hurt Locker, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Das Boot, The Thin Red Line, Lone Survivor, American Sniper, The Pianist, Schindlers List, 13 Hours, Defiance, The Dam Busters, Downfall, Ice Cold in Alex, Apocalypse Now.

Off the top of my head I would add Tora, Tora, Tora. Laurence of Arabia, from here to eternity, the man who never was and the deer hunter to this already great list.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Off the top of my head I would add Tora, Tora, Tora. Laurence of Arabia, from here to eternity, the man who never was and the deer hunter to this already great list.

Damn it, I would forget some others 👍

It’s such a decent category for me, particularly when growing up and watching some with my dad.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Damn it, I would forget some others 👍

It’s such a decent category for me, particularly when growing up and watching some with my dad.

Same here, even the second or even third rate stuff is more then watchable for me.

Next category, screwball comedies.

Just three but I could go all day with this list.

His girl Friday.

It happened one night.

Arsenic and old lace.

edit, holy crap, we almost forgot The Dambusters.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

If I'm getting fast and loose with the definition I'm counting The Hunt For Red October as a war movie  although in hindsight I'd put it in my thrillers list. 

War - Hunt For Red October,  The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lord of The Rings 😉 (being a little facetious there. That would go into fantasy ideally but is set during the War of the Ring so...)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Next category, screwball comedies.

Just three but I could go all day with this list.

His girl Friday.

It happened one night.

Arsenic and old lace.

Ahh, I know a few of these - Bringing Up Baby, After The Thin Man, Bombshell.

I like the era, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Cagney, Clark Gable etc. 

• Like 1

Â