The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I'll never use those sites for food. I'd rather go and collect. 

I do this now. Deliveroo put a delivery charge of £1.50 or something, but that's just a smoke screen, all the food is more expensive than in the store. Our chippy order actually costs double from deliveroo vs going to pick it up. Double.

• Like 3

Might be something to adopt.

Carrefour puts ‘shrinkflation’ price warnings on food to shame brands

French supermarket chain labels products that have shrunk in size but cost more before contract talks with suppliers

The French supermarket chain Carrefour has put labels on its shelves this week warning shoppers of “shrinkflation”, the phenomenon where manufacturers reduce pack sizes rather than increase prices.

It has slapped price warnings on products from Lindt chocolates to Lipton iced tea to pressure top consumer goods suppliers Nestlé, PepsiCo and Unilever to tackle the issue in advance of much-anticipated contract talks.

Since Monday, Carrefour has been putting stickers on products that have shrunk in size but cost more even after raw materials prices have eased, to rally consumer support as retailers prepare to face the world’s biggest brands in negotiations due to start soon and end by 15 October.

Carrefour has marked 26 products in its stores in France with the labels, which say: “This product has seen its volume or weight fall and the effective price from the supplier rise.”

For example, Carrefour said a bottle of sugar-free peach-flavoured Lipton iced tea, produced by PepsiCo, shrank to 1.25 litres (0.33 gallon) from 1.5 litres, resulting in a 40% effective increase in the price a litre.“Obviously, the aim in stigmatising these products is to be able to tell manufacturers to rethink their pricing policy,” Stefen Bompais, the director of client communications at Carrefour, said in an interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/14/carrefour-puts-shrinkflation-price-warnings-on-food-to-shame-brands

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

I do this now. Deliveroo put a delivery charge of £1.50 or something, but that's just a smoke screen, all the food is more expensive than in the store. Our chippy order actually costs double from deliveroo vs going to pick it up. Double.

That's because Deliveroo charge the restaurants between 30 and 40% of the order.

That's in addition to all the other charges they stick on (credit card fee, delivery fee, service fee etc).

If you spend £40 on Deliveroo about £20 of that goes straight to Deliveroo before the restaurant gets it and has to try and make a profit. 

I've stopped using them.

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

That's because Deliveroo charge the restaurants between 30 and 40% of the order.

That's in addition to all the other charges they stick on (credit card fee, delivery fee, service fee etc).

If you spend £40 on Deliveroo about £20 of that goes straight to Deliveroo before the restaurant gets it and has to try and make a profit. 

I've stopped using them.

I never knew it was that high. That without question will change more ordering habits. 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

JustEat charge both. 

As do UberEats, but that's for them. In a way I don't mind that, they have to make money somehow.

But most of the takeaways also charge a delivery fee on top of that.

So your order comes to about £10 and then by the time you've paid everyone's fees it's costing you 14 or 15

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As do UberEats, but that's for them. In a way I don't mind that, they have to make money somehow.

So your order comes to about £10 and then by the time you've paid everyone's fees it's costing you 14 or 15

At one point Taco Bell in sutton coldfield's delivery fee was £4.50 :D 

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly, and with the standard cost of everything going up its just not worth it anymore.

I fancied a subway the other day so i fired up uber eats and the first one on there for me wanted 15 quid for a footlong, drink and snack. once the fees and delivery are added on its about 18 quid 🤣, who on earth is paying that in the current climate. Talk about pricing yourself out of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Exactly, and with the standard cost of everything going up its just not worth it anymore.

I fancied a subway the other day so i fired up uber eats and the first one on there for me wanted 15 quid for a footlong, drink and snack. once the fees and delivery are added on its about 18 quid 🤣, who on earth is paying that in the current climate. Talk about pricing yourself out of business.

Me... every now and then :D

But I immediately regret it every time

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised places like Mcdonald’s haven’t set up delivery only kitchens yet. Purely cooking and handing over to couriers. 

Not sure why they'd do that, it would be less profitable and would cause congestion in the delivery queue. Then with all the deliveries being diverted to a central hub, it would remove the delivey trade from a good number of sites. You have to remember that McD is a franchise based business and they'd be taking a good deal of business away from the franchisees.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure why they'd do that, it would be less profitable and would cause congestion in the delivery queue. Then with all the deliveries being diverted to a central hub, it would remove the delivey trade from a good number of sites. You have to remember that McD is a franchise based business and they'd be taking a good deal of business away from the franchisees.

How would it be less profitable?

The current let’s say “multi-use” sites would focus on the restaurant and drive through (as before) which would make them faster and more appealing. There would also be less traffic and parking issues around those sites.

Then the delivery kitchen can be located somewhere like an industrial estate and be designed specifically for cooking and collecting delivery orders.

The question about franchises could be an issue, but then again some of the pressure being removed off the multi-use (and the staff having to deal with aggressive delivery drivers) might be welcomed. 

13 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

They also thrive on people who have no concept of money. 

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

How did we get so lazy as to not bothering to go to a local chip shop, McDonalds or supermarket. Perfectly fine as an elderly or disabled person but not anyone else. 

Only time I use them is for Indian take away as they deliver free and the prices are the same as going direct (I think there’s a discount for collecting).

1 minute ago, Genie said:

How would it be less profitable?

Increased delays in using single hub as opposed to multihub, further for couriers to deliver, lower customer satisfaction, removes income from existing franchisees

Makes absolutely no sense to me

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Delivery is free and there’s a lower price for collecting it yourself?

My line about it being the same price is a bit mis-leading as they discount the price if you ring up and collect it yourself.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

My line about it being the same price is a bit mis-leading as they discount the price if you ring up and collect it yourself.

Well then the "discount" price is essentially the standard price and the delivered price includes a stealth delivery fee, which if it's a % (as in the "discount") might actually be working wonders for them because they could be taking £5-10 delivery fee effectively on big orders rather than a flat fee of £2-3.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â