Net Zero - 2050

lapal_fan

So.. what are your businesses doing - if anything - about their journey to net zero?

55% of companies state themselves, they are not transitioning fast enough..

Any obvious ideas we're not doing?  Anything we're doing well?  In my business we're trying to help clients get there, trying to get PSDS (Public Sector Decarb Scheme) applications in left, right and centre, but the funding has run out now.. 

Think we'll ever achieve it? 

Interested to know your thoughts! :) 

We were vast consumers of paper. 

Paper drawings, printing off emails to file in files.

We were all travelling up and down the country constantly.

Now we are close to paperless, we’ve gone from 4 printers to 1 and I haven’t heard it spark up once so far today.

Teams calls have reduced travel massively.

I mean, we’re now burning electric with data storage and teams meetings. But it has to be better.

oh, and the pool cars are now hybrids

But something I’ve mentioned a couple of times previously, we’ve got to invest in insulation and more energy efficient kit.

Insulate Britain. Don’t be stubborn just because a vegan once glued themselves to your favourite rat run.

This energy crisis could be the making of us, eventually.

• Like 1

My employer has set a target of 2030. We’ve had six meetings so far. All we’ve talked about is governance and project management. Not a single tangible suggestion of how yet. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, choffer said:

My employer has set a target of 2030. We’ve had six meetings so far. All we’ve talked about is governance and project management. Not a single tangible suggestion of how yet. 

It's ok, they still have 7 years of meetings to talk about project management and governance, before having 1 year left to actually do something 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

My company is pushing everyone to be back in the office 1 or 2 days a week. I'm sure that'll help somehow. 

Just heat 1 office during the day rather than the homes of every staff member that is WFH? If they can put solar panels on the roof of the office and the building is well insulated, it could make a decent difference.

57 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Just heat 1 office during the day rather than the homes of every staff member that is WFH? If they can put solar panels on the roof of the office and the building is well insulated, it could make a decent difference.

Is that enough to compensate against making people drive into work? 

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Is that enough to compensate against making people drive into work? 

ohhh, i forgot about the commuting carbon cost.  No, WFH will almost certainly be better for the environment (unless staff live within walking/biking distance).

23 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just turn Wales into a giant solar farm. Nobody would miss it. We'd have to do something about the rain though....

thought Wales had been earmarked for the rubbish mountains à la Wall-E  ?

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

ohhh, i forgot about the commuting carbon cost.  No, WFH will almost certainly be better for the environment (unless staff live within walking/biking distance).

After relocating from Yorkshire to Cheshire as my boss told me we were fully remote working going forwards I've got about a 5 hour round trip now we're supposedly going back 1 or 2 days a week. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Morriston Hospital (Swansea) has its a own solar farm, 2 kilometres away from the hospital and directly cabled.

It was first switched on in November. It has already saved the hospital £120,000 in energy costs.

Over one winter weekend, it provided 100% of all the energy to the hospital for 50 hours.

I wonder how much it cost to build?

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

I wonder how much it cost to build?

£5.7m

With current energy prices it'll probably pay itself off in 10-15 years

Edited by Mozzavfc
  • Thanks 1

It’s the ‘small’ solar farm made up of about 8 fields straight off to the left of the Morriston Hospital location point.

So for context, Morriston hospital is huge, its a regional hub, 750 bed General Hospital plus A&E. I would think only UHW in Cardiff would be bigger. If they’ve run it for 50 hours in winter off its own ‘unfinished’ solar farm that’s a decent achievement. It would have quite a number of power hungry machines that go ping.

Going out on a limb here as I’m no expert, but as for ‘security’ probably also safer than a small local nuclear power plant, which appears to be the latest get your mates rich scam. We’ve seen the dependence on oil is bad, so the government wants to accelerate the invention of town sized mini nuclear facilities for every town across the country. What could possibly go wrong with that idea!

Edited by chrisp65

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I can’t afford a second hand electric car let alone a new one. We would have maximum £2000 to get a car and that would be with a lot of saving and with the way the cost of living is going I’m not sure we could afford that sort of budget if I’m honest. 

Well yes, they will eventually.  Same as anything.

However it will probably make more sense before then.  They have hardly any moving parts so should break down far less, maintenance should be much cheaper.  And then if oil keeps rising you may not be able to afford to put any petrol in a petrol car so what would be the point in spending £2k on one?

Â