Net Zero - 2050

lapal_fan

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

People won't give up their cars. They're too lazy. 

See people doing journeys under a mile all the time. At my sons school I'm the only one who collects their kid on a bike (even a guy who runs a bicycle repair shop doesn't do it and uses his van). I think 2 or 3 other families occasionally walk but everyone else is in cars (usually a 4x4). My neighbour drives 600 yards to her work. 

That's  true. Or rather, they won't  give them up unless there's  a really good reason to do so - a carrot or a stick in other words. 

Government  isn't  really willing to provide either. They would rather  have everyone believe that it's relatively easy to switch to electric cars, and that's  all we need to do, you can drive as much as you want. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't  have electric  vehicles, but to have a strategy that is wholly predicated on a switch to electric cars seems incredibly short sighted. It's switching  one kind of resource dependency (oil) for another (nickel, other minerals, massive investment in nuclear  and renewables etc - all of which have an environmental cost), when surely reducing  dependency should be part of the plan. 

As an aside, I'm  not sure what roads can/should be made of in a post hydrocarbon world - anyone have any ideas?

Â