Net Zero - 2050

lapal_fan

On 14/03/2022 at 20:35, chrisp65 said:

Morriston Hospital (Swansea) has its a own solar farm, 2 kilometres away from the hospital and directly cabled.

It was first switched on in November. It has already saved the hospital £120,000 in energy costs.

Over one winter weekend, it provided 100% of all the energy to the hospital for 50 hours.

They could do the same at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr but just plug the patients into the mains on arrival and save wasting energy on the days before they kill the patient by accident anyway

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

They could do the same at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr but just plug the patients into the mains on arrival and save wasting energy on the days before they kill the patient by accident anyway

I was once sat in a mobile site hut outside PCH, having a mid morning cuppa mid shift.

All of a sudden the whole thing tilted and started moving. The locals had it hitched to the back of a van and were nicking it with me in it.

• Shocked 1

It's all very good the government saying this but when they cancel the energy improvement grants for certain industry at less than 24 hours notice you can't help but think it's just all paying lip service and is just PR bullshit

16 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

It's all very good the government saying this but when they cancel the energy improvement grants for certain industry at less than 24 hours notice you can't help but think it's just all paying lip service and is just PR bullshit

The biggest factor in Net Zero - 2050 is that we still don't know what the cost of a tonne of carbon is.. If it's low and the cost of implementing initiatives is higher than the penalty of carbon, no one will do anything. 

That said, if the price is too high, that's dangerous too, because not everyone will be able to afford the works required.

I spoke to a company the other day, involved in urban regeneration projects (to the tune of billions of £'s) and they're trying to not hit "net zero", but "absolute zero".  Was very impressive and I hope they can achieve it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Boris is set to green light 6 new oil fields for drilling.. Putting an end to our 2050 ambitions (it would seem)

https://www.futurenetzero.com/2022/03/29/net-zero-to-suffer-from-boris-oil-and-gas-plans/

The Prime Minister’s new plans for six oil and gas projects in the North Sea could destroy any hopes of achieving net zero by 2050, according to a new study.

Firstly I am unequivocally against this. 

BUT does this actually change things? I assume this is just to replace Oil and Gas that would otherwise have been bought from Russia? 

I would assume the plan to phase out overall is unchanged? 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Firstly I am unequivocally against this. 

BUT does this actually change things? I assume this is just to replace Oil and Gas that would otherwise have been bought from Russia? 

I would assume the plan to phase out overall is unchanged? 

The report is very vague, but it's still not a good thing to start drilling new oil fields - and it'll cost billions to do.

Why not invest those billions into more renewables, we closed down wave based energy projects in Wales because of costs.. This is just another poor decision.  

I know the prices of oil based energy sucks, but at least it's forcing people to think differently.. Albeit at the cost of relatively poor people's expense (again). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Boris is set to green light 6 new oil fields for drilling.. Putting an end to our 2050 ambitions (it would seem)

https://www.futurenetzero.com/2022/03/29/net-zero-to-suffer-from-boris-oil-and-gas-plans/

Isn't the North Sea rapidly running out of oil? Why aren't we utilising power generated by the Atlantic (wave/wind)? 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Isn't the North Sea rapidly running out of oil? Why aren't we utilising power generated by the Atlantic (wave/wind)? 

They keep finding new fields, to put it bluntly. 

Our knowledge of the sea bed is actually pretty limited.  Not saying these fields weren't already known of, but still. 

Our whole National Grid system needs a complete overhaul, it's outdated and inefficient.  We could do with innovation in battery storage (look into it for homes), but we still seem to be relying on carbon intensive products for now. 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The report is very vague, but it's still not a good thing to start drilling new oil fields - and it'll cost billions to do.

Why not invest those billions into more renewables, we closed down wave based energy projects in Wales because of costs.. This is just another poor decision.  

I know the prices of oil based energy sucks, but at least it's forcing people to think differently.. Albeit at the cost of relatively poor people's expense (again). 

I totally agree, but not even with £billions are we going to be able to magic up 40 million electric vehicles, solar arrays and heat pumps in the next 2 years, but I assume we can set up the new oil and gasfields pretty quickly to help stabilise prices and make the UK at least gas independent. 

The cost of our electricity currently carries an 8% green levy meant to support green technology. You would assume therefore that we're currently earning significantly more green levy than was envisaged.  So we should be seeing more investment than was planned. 

I bet we don't though.  Probably end up like road tax where most of it is just diverted elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I totally agree, but not even with £billions are we going to be able to magic up 40 million electric vehicles, solar arrays and heat pumps in the next 2 years, but I assume we can set up the new oil and gasfields pretty quickly to help stabilise prices and make the UK at least gas independent. 

We're looking to get an electric vehicle but have been quoted a minimum 12 months lead time. That won't be helping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The cost of our electricity currently carries an 8% green levy meant to support green technology. You would assume therefore that we're currently earning significantly more green levy than was envisaged.  So we should be seeing more investment than was planned. 

I bet we don't though.  Probably end up like road tax where most of it is just diverted elsewhere. 

We ARE A bit of a world leader in renewables in our defence, so there's definitely good work going on, however - you'd certainly argue that we're currently NOT on target to meet our 2040/50 obligations.

We still don't know how much a tonne of carbon is when it comes to penalties.. it's VERY important we set the right price for it, because companies/countries will take that bump if it's not high enough to actually be a penalty verses other options. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

We're looking to get an electric vehicle but have been quoted a minimum 12 months lead time. That won't be helping. 

I ordered a Kia E-Niro in September 21 and had a charge point installed at the house (company paid for) in January, which I was told meant the car is close - absolutely no where near getting it and I'm looking at other opportunities at the moment, so probably never will! 

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I ordered a Kia E-Niro in September 21 and had a charge point installed at the house (company paid for) in January, which I was told meant the car is close - absolutely no where near getting it and I'm looking at other opportunities at the moment, so probably never will! 

Took three months plus to get our Kona electric, and even then we had to drop down a spec to get one. The whole situation is ridiculous really.

33 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I've just bought a new petrol car.  I would have liked an electric one as it's actually perfect for me (I only do short local trips) but they're just so much  more expensive it's just not possible.

My PCP is up in 4 years though and regardless I'll definitely get one then although hopefully some cheaper models will be out by that time.  Seat look like having a £20k ish one out by then.

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

28 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Took three months plus to get our Kona electric, and even then we had to drop down a spec to get one. The whole situation is ridiculous really.

My wife had to wait well over 12 months for a new petrol car.  It's not an electric problem, it's an all round car manufacturing problem.

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

We were looking at the EV6 and told they'd just had one in that someone order 13 months earlier. 

It's not just the lead time which is an issue I can't seem to find a single electric vehicle that has a decent size boot. The EV6 can take a trailer and roof box but that then massively drops the mileage it offers. 

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Good. Get drilling. 

I want a 5 litre Mustang as my next car. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Surprising as Kia (and Hyundai) petrol/hybrids are the only cars I seem to be financing at the minute. Must have done about 150 during March. 

Wonder why the delay is on EVs? 🤔

Edited by Xela

Â