2022 travel plans

StefanAVFC

On 03/06/2022 at 10:00, fightoffyour said:

Lovely place. You should get out to some islands though, even on day trips. And enjoy Bobis, the Croatian Greggs 😀

On 31/05/2022 at 15:59, stewiek2 said:

Fly out to Zadar in Croatia on Saturday for a week. AirBnb place about 5 min walk from the Adriatic sea. Much needed!

Definitely agree about the baked goods! You have to try a Burek, their version of a pasty. 

Croatia is stunning country - enjoy your hols 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Definitely agree about the baked goods! You have to try a Burek, their version of a pasty. 

Croatia is stunning country - enjoy your hols 😀

My last day, have had an enjoyable time except for one aspect. The mosquitos. They decimated my right shoulder and my ankles and I've covered myself Antihistamine wipes and gel to no avail. I've not seen a single other person bitten. They must love Brummies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2022 at 21:00, El Zen said:

As mentioned elsewhere, just booked a week in Bilbao in July with my dad and my brother. 

Any recommendations?

Funicular is a nice view of the city which isnt so big in fairness, dont think I used public transport except to get to the airport. Stadium tour is good, has some Villa history in the museum. 

Stayed near the historical town, lot of restaurants and tapas bars littered through the city. Got to try a kalimotxo 😉

• Thanks 1

In Magaluf and, last night, some bloke goaded me into buying him and his family shots of tequila...

...his niece later apologised for her arrogant uncle and pointed out said bloke was David Dunn!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I've made it out to Argentina! Phew! In Buenos Aires again because I was only here for three days in 2007, which is too short really as it's a huge city, similar to London in area and population. Staying a whole week this time and then will take a train west to Rosario, birthplace of Che Guevara, then another one further west to Córdoba. Hoping there are trains in the daytime, in order to see the countryside.

Then in about two weeks I'll get a coach further west still and fingers crossed I think I should get into Chile this time! (After my failed attempt last summer).

• Like 4

On 25/05/2022 at 21:00, El Zen said:

As mentioned elsewhere, just booked a week in Bilbao in July with my dad and my brother. 

Any recommendations?

Just to follow up on this, it was f***ing amazing. Basque Country is my new favourite part of the world. 

• Like 3

On 23/08/2022 at 16:03, El Zen said:

Just to follow up on this, it was f***ing amazing. Basque Country is my new favourite part of the world. 

Which places/cities do you recommend to go in the Basque?

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Which places/cities do you recommend to go in the Basque?

We stayed mainly in Bilbao (or, nearby Getxo) which is a really beautiful city, with lots of good local food, fancy restaurants, decent (but not cheap) shopping, and interesting museums. 

Then the whole coastline is just peppered with lovely small towns with spectacular beaches. 

But the jewel in the crown is San Sebastian. You couldn’t design a better city break/beach holiday combo if you tried. Amazing. 

Edited by El Zen

• 2 weeks later...

After three years of planning and saving and then expensive and exhausting Covid-related faffing about and extended f****** border closures I've finally made it to Chile !  🇨🇱  

Viva Chile ! 

And f*** you Covid ! 

Well, I'm a bit shocked and disappointed to find out that, two and a half years after the start of the pandemic, I have to wear a mask here by law in indoors public spaces.  :<  A hotel receptionist told me that daily Covid cases are currently very high. Still, it could be worse... last summer in Bolivia you had to wear a mask in public not just indoors but oudoors as well, e.g. just walking down the street ! (Ridiculous). :s

• Like 3

I'm in rotterdam, not here for long move on tomorrow, really impressed with the place, hard to judge anywhere anymore cos I've got the 2 young uns with me but it's a nice relaxed city with lots of restaurants and bars and some great buildings 

Hard to step out of amsterdams shadow obviously but Id be interested in a session here, think it'd be a great time 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm in rotterdam, not here for long move on tomorrow, really impressed with the place, hard to judge anywhere anymore cos I've got the 2 young uns with me but it's a nice relaxed city with lots of restaurants and bars and some great buildings 

Hard to step out of amsterdams shadow obviously but Id be interested in a session here, think it'd be a great time 

Ita a fun night out, much more relaxed and laid back than Amsterdam. Also a bit more modern than some European cities as I was told it was destroyed in the war

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ita a fun night out, much more relaxed and laid back than Amsterdam. Also a bit more modern than some European cities as I was told it was destroyed in the war

Its really modern along the water front with then various stages of funky architecture that's no longer modern scattered elsewhere, bit rough looking at I left but overall really impressed with it, said to the wife it wasn't so much the nightclubs that's my kind of thing but I bet with the young looking city that's very vibrant, it was the dark and dingy pub looking places that looked really interesting and full of character that I'm sure a group of blokes in their 30s would still have a great time there

Much like Amsterdam though the beer is nowhere near good enough to justify the prices, 5€ for a 300ml Heineken... Get out of it 

On 08/09/2022 at 20:28, villa4europe said:

It's on my to visit list. You can stay on the SS Rotterdam which looks fairly cool.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's on my to visit list. You can stay on the SS Rotterdam which looks fairly cool.

Was fully booked but I did look, there's a few boat hotels but most are horrifically expensive, I'd say that's the only real negative there, its not as bad as Amsterdam but it was still expensive, 6€ for a pint of Heineken type stuff in the centre 

Would definitley recommend the place though and schevingen which was the seafront town I went to which is part of den Haag which also looked really cool but I lost a day to the rain and didn't get to see

Amsterdam is 40 mins away on the train (not sure how much) so it'd be a nice base for a good 5 to 7 days there 

Malta in 3 weeks!

First 4 days dedicated to a Rat Race event, running across Gozo, kayaking to mainland Malta via Comino and then cycling about 56km across the mainland.

Remaining 4 days rest and recreation and catching up with a friend who moved out there 13 years ago. Staying in Valletta within the City walls.

• Like 3

On 15/09/2022 at 14:01, DeadlyDirk said:

Malta in 3 weeks!

First 4 days dedicated to a Rat Race event, running across Gozo, kayaking to mainland Malta via Comino and then cycling about 56km across the mainland.

Remaining 4 days rest and recreation and catching up with a friend who moved out there 13 years ago. Staying in Valletta within the City walls.

Look for the Mita Copiers sign

• Like 1

Â