StefanAVFC

Let's get back to normal!

Gran Canaria for a week this month

Hopefully a weekend in the UK to take my mrs to a Villa game for the first time

Scotland and Italy for a wedding

Maybe another long weekend in early autumn

You guys?

• Like 1

California (mainly Santa Barbara with a couple of days in LA) for a week in May.

Canada for Banff and Jasper National Parks in October for 2 weeks.

Should be a good one! Trying British Airways Business Class for the first time, interested to see what their service is like. 

wife is pregnant so the plans went in the bin, im sure she's actually rather have a holiday now 

efteling for a week in september with 12 of us in 1 house, that wont be a holiday...think we'll stick a weekend on a dutch beach to recover

should be going somewhere for my niece's 12th birthday in march, i wanted to go to switzerland, she wants to go to hamburg, we think they'll insist on testing every day in order to do anything so currently looking at disneyland paris because they dont

Hopefully Uzbekistan , Tajikistan and Turkmenistan later in the year ..  I can only really go mid August time and from what I can see Turkmenistan temperature can be North of 100 degrees at that time of the year so it might not pan out ..not sure about a plan B yet , if that's the case .. 

50th lads trip European 8 country pub crawl is planned for end of May ( 4th time lucky) 

Iceland (also 4th time lucky) in June with the family  ...All being well on arrival it means I'll have been to every country in Europe , so a nice little millstone even if its 2 years later than I planned to have completed it 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Bucharest/Brasov in April

i went in december 2018, 6 lads on the piss, by blind luck it was their 100 year unification anniversary so big parties everywhere

first day / night got pissed, second day went to the huge bavarian beer hall place all day (and it is huge) got pissed, 3rd day said we'd take a breather and go to Brasov on the train to see the castle etc, its like 3+ hours so we get there and go for lunch...get pissed...join in the street celebrations had a great time, at the train station bought 6 bottles of 3 litre romanian beer and there was change from a tenner, 6 hours on the train didnt see a thing, ended up in a night club where they brought out loads of packs of napkins and everyone was throwing them in the air in celebration and it was awesome but 4 of the group had been put to bed by the 3L bottle 😂

my only other real memory was in that nightclub i was in the smoking area and the bouncers chucked out a young kid, 16 or 17, he'd taken a pill too many i thought he was dead and they just threw him on the floor followed by a girl who was with him slapping him like he was her ginger step child, my mate went to the bar and got him water and he got a proper violent romanian **** off from her, he came round but its the worst state ive ever seen anyone in

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Two weeks in the Canary Islands booked for May.  

I'll book somewhere else that's hot and sunny for November.  

I also fancy returning to a place in Dartmoor that we went to last year out of sheer desperation for a holiday.  Even though the weather was below average, it was a lovely break.  

Let's hope we really are in the COVID end game.  🙏 

Got a week in Gran Canaria for my 50th in March. Not a conventional trip as will be walking the Camino there. From Maspalamos in the South to Galdar in the North.

Off to Mexico in April for a roadtrip around the Yucatan peninsula.

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I recommend you going to Caru' cu bere in Bucharest. My time was a tad more sedate than Villa 4 Europe.

that looks good

cant remember what the food was if im honest, went to hard rock but wouldnt recommend that anymore cos they've butchered the menu, had a guilty drunken session in mcdonalds and had fillet o fish of all things for some reason which i never do hence why i can remember it, seem to remember a haxe type dish but thats about it

did have plum leibkuchen herzen style biscuits which were ace

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that looks good

cant remember what the food was if im honest, went to hard rock but wouldnt recommend that anymore cos they've butchered the menu, had a guilty drunken session in mcdonalds and had fillet o fish of all things for some reason which i never do hence why i can remember it, seem to remember a haxe type dish but thats about it

did have plum leibkuchen herzen style biscuits which were ace

Romanian cuisine is quite interesting- its kinds of a mix between central and balkan/Greek food. Which is where Romania is located unsurprisingly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this makes me sound like the old fart that i probably am, but I remember back in the day (80s) as an office junior that a holiday was a once a year thing - 7/10 days or 14 if you were flush - and that was it til next year.

I hear now of folk doing 2,3 or 4 foreign holidays a year. Also, couples who have a main holiday but also a girls or lads break too. Are people more flush these days or prepared to live on tick ? I know flights can be cheaper but you still need money when you're out there.

Edited by mottaloo

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Sorry if this makes me sound like the old fart that i probably am, but I remember back in the day (80s) as an office junior that a holiday was a once a year thing - 7/10 days or 14 if you were flush - and that was it til next year.

I hear now of folk doing 2,3 or 4 foreign holidays a year. Also, couples who have a main holiday but also a girls or lads break too. Are people more flush these days or prepared to live on tick ? I know flights can be cheaper but you still need money when you're out there.

A little from column A and a little from column B I would imagine. 

Budget flights were the big thing that arrived in the mid '00s. Less than £50 got you a return to Europe. We went on a fair few lads weekends away at the time. Some people spend £80 every weekend on Broad St... we used to not out every week and then go abroad. Remember doing a weekend in Rome - 3 nights hotel and flights - £80. Madness! Spent a bit over there but you cut your cloth accordingly. 

I did 6 holidays in 2008 - Lisbon, Rome, Paris, Baltic Sates and Finland, Egypt and New York for Xmas. Didn't feel that expensive at the time - everything seemed cheap (NYC excluded). The golden prices of budget flights is over now but even still its not anywhere near as expensive as it was in the 80s or 90s. 

• Thanks 1

I think it's 2 things that both boil down to the internet and phones 

People are more savy, I don't know how travel agents still exist, there are now several comparison websites let alone travel websites, there's places like skyscanner which give you the option of "everywhere" on the dates you want so you can be open minded and just get away to wherever is cheapest, you can put time in to finding the cheapest or best value for money option rather than Thomas Cook robbing you blind 

People are braver, I think this is because of phones and the Internet, you can turn up at a random airport and then using your phone know the map of the subway or book an uber or get maps.me out and walk places, personally I don't even bother changing my bank cards or doing anything there anymore either, I don't go to a foreign exchange or travellers cheques and all that nonsense* not sure if it's more a younger generation thing too as my mom won't do any of that she's still package as much as possible but I think even her now travelling to see me in Germany and getting trains and buses etc it's opening her eyes as to how easy it all is

I once did 10 days in Cuba and 4 days in LA for £650, flight to Cuba was via dusseldorf**, 3 Air bnbs in Cuba, flight to LA via Mexico City, Air bnb in LA (best I've ever had) flight home with Norwegian Air (worst I've ever had) - spoke to tui about 10 days all inclusive in mexico before my daughter turns 2 and they wanted £5k for the 3 of us, **** off! 

* maybe I should, when I was last in the UK the cashpoint gave me a euro to pound exchange rate of 1.33 instead of the 1.20 that it actually was

** my flight from brum to dusseldorf was delayed so I missed the Cuba flight, had to fly to Munich then fly out the next day, received £600 compensation so the 13 day holiday cost me £50 + spending money 

• Like 2

Â