Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

I wonder what position the creativity will come from.

This could be a bit of a mix up…

I’ve seen and maybe heard that Gerrard wants more “killers” in the team… after the Bolton game too… can’t recall the exact words now…

That would seem to suggest players that are clinical… not creativity as such, not in the literal sense..

Tbh, I don’t like this attitude of “if you’re unable to get the best out of the players at your disposal, just go and spend money on others…”

It’s not the solution, proper coaching is… with a quality addition here and there (midfield)…

I do think we need to get rid of a few if we are bringing new guys in, the squad and wage bill is getting really bloated… 

One of Ings or Watkins must go if we sign a quality CF imo…

Ings doesn’t fit into a single striker system, is ageing and past his best and is on massive wages… his value is only going to depreciate… despite his reputation as a good finisher…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This could be a bit of a mix up…

I’ve seen and maybe heard that Gerrard wants more “killers” in the team… after the Bolton game too… can’t recall the exact words now…

That would seem to suggest players that are clinical… not creativity as such, not in the literal sense..

Tbh, I don’t like this attitude of “if you’re unable to get the best out of the players at your disposal, just go and spend money on others…”

It’s not the solution, proper coaching is… with a quality addition here and there (midfield)…

I do think we need to get rid of a few if we are bringing new guys in, the squad and wage bill is getting really bloated… 

One of Ings or Watkins must go if we sign a quality CF imo…

Ings doesn’t fit into a single striker system, is ageing and past his best and is on massive wages… his value is only going to depreciate… despite his reputation as a good finisher…

Nobody is taking Ings from us with that contract. We just have to accept now that he’s with us for the next 3 years and that’s that. 

• Like 1

Creativity doesn't have to mean another No.10 type similar to Buendia or Coutinho, considering we tried to sign Sarr I think it's pretty obvious that we want a versatile attacker that can provide the team with some pace. I was expecting us to go for another attacker, but thought it would be more of a Chukwuemeka replacement, that is a youngster good enough to bepart of the squad and do a job when called upon but happy to sit on the benchrather than someone as established as Sarr.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody is taking Ings from us with that contract. We just have to accept now that he’s with us for the next 3 years and that’s that. 

I know you’re right… I just don’t like it. Probably the same issue with Digne. And even Coutinho if he doesn’t start performing and producing… 😞 

The whole point of buying them (except for maybe Coutinho) was that these are players “at their peak” and ready to make instant impacts… players to be relied on…

But they haven’t performed or produced enough, regardless of the reasons, and if that continues then they are just going to be heavy financial burdens for us…

No one would complain if they were consistently in form and delivering the goods…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Creativity doesn't have to mean another No.10 type similar to Buendia or Coutinho, considering we tried to sign Sarr I think it's pretty obvious that we want a versatile attacker that can provide the team with some pace. I was expecting us to go for another attacker, but thought it would be more of a Chukwuemeka replacement, that is a youngster good enough to bepart of the squad and do a job when called upon but happy to sit on the benchrather than someone as established as Sarr.

So do you think we are going to play with wingers now? Or a front 3?

Is Gerrard going to change the system now? Due to Critchleys influence?

Is he going to hold the fullbacks back (bloody well hope so)?

Just plain and direct questions…

I haven’t seen the signs of doing that though but who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Leon’s stepdad has had a big outburst today…

Edited by Jas10

No teams play with winger, wingers barely exist in the modern game, and we already play with a front three or a variaton on it. Gerrard has used Bailey as a wide forward when available, which is where Sarr would have been used, and he's also used Watkins as a wide forward, this idea that he doesn't use wingers or wide forwards is a myth, Ryan Kent is probably the closest thing you will get to a winger in the modern game, and he started every game for Rangers when available.

And of course Gerrard will change the system if he thinks we have better players to suit, probably hasn't played with wingers/wide forwards with us much as doesn't rate Traore, El Ghazi or Trezeguet. If we have players that can do a better job in those positions I'm sure he would use them, as he's shown so far this season with Leon

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, useless said:

No teams play with winger, wingers barely exist in the modern game, and we already play with a front three or a variaton on it. Gerrard has used Bailey as a wide forward when available, which is where Sarr would have been used, and he's also used Watkins as a wide forward, this idea that he doesn't use wingers or wide forwards is a myth, Ryan Kent is probably the closest thing you will get to a winger in the modern game, and he started every game for Rangers when available.

And of course Gerrard will change the system if he thinks we have better players to suit, probably hasn't played with wingers/wide forwards with us much as doesn't rate Traore, El Ghazi or Trezeguet. If we have players that can do a better job in those positions I'm sure he would use them, as he's shown so far this season with Leon

I suggest you take a look at this crap. It’s stupid but it also doesn’t back up what you’re saying…

Edited by Jas10

The only transfer we need to make before the window shuts, is a managerial one. 

I reckon a League 1 manager could get this squad playing better than Gerrard and the saddest thing is, I actually believe that because he is useless. 

• Thanks 1

Also I'm pretty sure that club coming very close to signing Sarr is better evidence that that's the type of player we want, than people's guess work on here on what Gerrard might and might not do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

The only transfer we need to make before the window shuts, is a managerial one. 

I reckon a League 1 manager could get this squad playing better than Gerrard and the saddest thing is, I actually believe that because he is useless. 

Well, we’re all hoping that the ex Blackpool manager that we’ve recently appointed as “assistant” (yeah right) can get us playing… SG is just a face or spokesperson, getting paid millions for nothing…

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, useless said:

I mean this is just so wrong. 

Wingers have developed over the years but teams still play with attacking width. 

Our players spend way too much time central. Someone like Bailey needs to have starting position on the touchline, where he has space to run at players. When he plays as a wide forward this doesn't happen. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, useless said:

I wish I thought this highly of him, I’ve seen nothing to give me confidence what he’s trying to do is the result of players available. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Also I'm pretty sure that club coming very close to signing Sarr is better evidence that that's the type of player we want, than people's guess work on here on what Gerrard might and might not do.

Is it guess work or is it 32 games in charge? The Sarr transfer stank of desperation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure it's that deep to be fair 😂.

If they were tiny but we're knocking it around bigger players , occasionally getting bullied but winning, it wouldn't be as much of a thing 

However since I can remember, any physically imposing team we come up against, we tend to implode.

Fact is, a team of larger players, against a team of smaller players, with the exact same skill level, would see the bigger team win, as with any sport.

Size and athleticism is now a big part of the game, not a deeper part of an early childhood complex. Lol

Even commentators on our games point this out at times.

This is a really interesting point to me, I've trained in Martial arts most of my life and Bruce Lee once said:

"Always assume that your opponent is going to be bigger, stronger and faster than you; so that you learn to rely on technique, timing and leverage rather than brute strength".

It is after all finding that balance whether we are talking about football or martial arts. A team Iike Palace seem to have it all, a good blend of skill and power and you know what good luck to them...

Villa have lacked the right blend for as far as I can remember, "lightweight" is often a term labelled towards Villa over the years. It still seems adequate as way to describe us unfortunately. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Villa have lacked the right blend for as far as I can remember, "lightweight" is often a term labelled towards Villa over the years. It still seems adequate as way to describe us unfortunately. 

This is how I always think of Villa. I’m used to it now.

We are everybody’s fall guy when a team need a win….

West ham you are welcome ☹️