Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

The argument will be our team is already good enough on paper to compete for top 8/10. Then people will say West Ham didn't buy many players last season and competed. They're both good points.

But the way Gerrard was talking like it was going to be a big summer on ins and outs. Only Kamara is a improvement to our starting 11. 

I still think we need a quality midfielder. 

49 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

This says a lot really, 5th lowest spenders right now.

Yeah i know - kamara signing on fee, other fees etc, but still.

7 teams have spent 100m or more.

image.png.b7c3538d1fbbab76ad40eb6188b7fa9e.png

Though what is interesting from that table is Palace, Brighton and Leicester have spent less and are still being touted for European places… and Brighton have lost two of their main players and made a nice profit. 

Just now, messi11 said:

The argument will be our team is already good enough on paper to compete for top 8/10. Then people will say West Ham didn't buy many players last season and competed. They're both good points.

But the way Gerrard was talking like it was going to be a big summer on ins and outs. Only Kamara is a improvement to our starting 11. 

I still think we need a quality midfielder. 

We’re as good as what the players are willing to give. The majority of which we have seen what they are capable of for the past couple of seasons. They needed to be improved upon. They haven’t been. So we will not progress. It’s quite simple really. 
Purslow/the board are choosing to shoot themselves in the foot by going with the “get the best out of this squad” approach. It isn’t going to work. (In my opinion) 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Let’s see if that actually happens. I know for a fact we are in talks for players… many things nee to happen for a transfer to be completed. Where’s your proof ? Or is it a hunch based on opinions not facts ? 

How do you know for a fact that we are in talks? 
Mine is based on my opinion of the decision makers at the club and how things seem to be going… and also how similar it is to how things ended under one of our previous owners. 

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We’re as good as what the players are willing to give. The majority of which we have seen what they are capable of for the past couple of seasons. They needed to be improved upon. They haven’t been. So we will not progress. It’s quite simple really. 
Purslow/the board are choosing to shoot themselves in the foot by going with the “get the best out of this squad” approach. It isn’t going to work. (In my opinion) 

I think Purslow and the board have now settled on midtable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Mine is based on my opinion of the decision makers at the club and how things seem to be going… and also how similar it is to how things ended under one of our previous owners. 

Yeah these owners are clearly losing interest ! That’s why they’re about to unveil plans for massive investment in the stadium and adding LV VILLANS to their sporting portfolio FFS

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Galway Lion said:

Yeah these owners are clearly losing interest ! That’s why they’re about to unveil plans for massive investment in the stadium and adding LV VILLANS to their sporting portfolio FFS

All been delayed hasn’t it? Weird that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Really interested in why we weren't in for Nunes at that price.

I can only think we aren't looking to spend that sort of money.

Same as Guimaraes, we will not be able to get a midfielder of that level for that price. Wolves will be selling him for £75m inside two years.

Because we're owned by NSWE and not Jorge Mendes. Some clubs are owned by nation states, Wolves are owned by an agent. 😁

7 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

There has to be something dodgy going on with Forest. They’ve now broken our transfer record in their first season back, after spending £100m+ on other players beforehand.

If they don't stay up they'll be in a lot of trouble.

21 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I used to work in football for OUFC and still have one or two contacts in the game - one being an intermediary for Wasserman group. I get snippets and passed info on players we’ve enquired about or offered. Some of the names are unbelievable and just agents touting for a fee. We run a very tight ship and NDA’s etc. No signings doesn’t equate to no activity. We aren’t going to be everyone’s first choice and have our place in the pecking order. Players could be seeing who else may come in for them. Or be part of a chain.

Or we can go with your theory based on nothing but conjecture that that’s it.

Oh cool. So who are we possibly talking to at the moment then? 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Watched another highlights vid the other day as well.

Seems he loves a slide tackle ( Maybe even a bit too much ).

That’s an understatement, he was either on his arse or blatantly pushing people off the ball.  It’s bad enough with the “magic Mings moments” without having a liability next to him.

Credit though, would answer Steve G’s problem of how we turn defences like Liverpool do 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Why do you think the last day of the window (before it slams shut!!) tends to be the busiest?

It's not just the odd club panic buying, it's because players have options on who they're going to join. 

Every club with ambitions will be after top quality players - these players have options to consider before they relocate their lives to join a new employer. We'll be in discussions with players that are talking with other clubs, and they'll take as much time as they need before deciding their futures. Again, think about why the end of the window is busier than the beginning.

I love watches and I can go into multiple boutiques prepared to spend the money. If they won't sell to me on that day it's not because I've given up - it's demand outstripping supply. Same applies with good players, but I'm sure we're trying to bring more in (and also get a few out).

17 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Why do you think the last day of the window (before it slams shut!!) tends to be the busiest?

It's not just the odd club panic buying, it's because players have options on who they're going to join. 

Every club with ambitions will be after top quality players - these players have options to consider before they relocate their lives to join a new employer. We'll be in discussions with players that are talking with other clubs, and they'll take as much time as they need before deciding their futures. Again, think about why the end of the window is busier than the beginning.

I love watches and I can go into multiple boutiques prepared to spend the money. If they won't sell to me on that day it's not because I've given up - it's demand outstripping supply. Same applies with good players, but I'm sure we're trying to bring more in (and also get a few out).

You'd think 90 percent of the people having mini meltdowns are new to Football, and transfer windows.

It's also like they have forgot where we were a few years ago.

The club generally.do business so well that's it's either very early ( Like this season ) and/or so quiet that you don't hear anything until it's almost done.

Another thing I find confusing is the mixed messaging.

Some of the same people saying that we/SG has a good enough squad to finish top 8 and should be doing better with them, are also complaining about signings.

Even if you don't have any faith in SG, I don't see how the club, board and owners don't have enough credit in the bank and faith to be trusted to know what they are doing.

What you've described above is why it's even more impressive that we got Kamara and Carlos literally before the window even opened.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

My god it's like a teenage girls sleep over in this thread with some posters!

"Oh no, Bobby hasn't asked me to the prom yet and it's only two months away, what am I going to do?! He must not fancy me anymore, maybe he's in love with someone else? I'm going to be alone forever sob sob"

Get a grip! 

If we're sat here once the window's shut and we haven't signed anyone else, then fine, moan and panic as much as you want. But until then give the club a chance.

Personally I like an exciting end to the window, plus I see it as a sign that we're going after big targets who we're having to be patient for. So try and think positive or at least hold back on second guessing  the owners who deserve a bit more faith.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

My god it's like a teenage girls sleep over in this thread with some posters!

"Oh no, Bobby hasn't asked me to the prom yet and it's only two months away, what am I going to do?! He must not fancy me anymore, maybe he's in love with someone else? I'm going to be alone forever sob sob"

Get a grip! 

If we're sat here once the window's shut and we haven't signed anyone else, then fine, moan and panic as much as you want. But until then give the club a chance.

Personally I like an exciting end to the window, plus I see it as a sign that we're going after big targets who we're having to be patient for. So try and think positive or at least hold back on second guessing  the owners who deserve a bit more faith.

Your username commands respect to be fair so.

Hear hear! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Was literally just coming on to say only four teams have spent less than us this summer. Definitely slowing down the plans for a push for Europe, and probably indicates that the owners are losing interest and relying on us being self sufficient (ie, spending what we make from sales etc)

Would it make you feel better if we had spent £60m on Kamara?

• Like 2