Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

To be fair it shouldn’t have an affect as we haven’t really spent much anyway

We have spent 49m on transfer fees and more on agent fees and Kamara sign on bonus plus a fairly sizeable increase in wages. That's a lot for a business that had a turnover in their last published accounts of about 180m

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

good post.

Shaun, I think we are doing a lot right.....but my only issue with recruitment is this......The blend must be paramount.

I think we sign good, well talented players.....but in terms of attributes, can be too samey......so subsequently some jobs are difficult to master, despite the coaching....too many have similar skill set and jobs go amiss.

Set Pieces are an example, where we are puny in the air.........but we still sign smallish players.

Brentford is a good example of being aware of the stature of their side and acting accordingly...sure they can't all be giants, ( although they nearly are) we need a mix.

We cannot keep relying on mIngs at set pieces, its too much to ask......We need some variety of Stature in our team, to add to the talent.

Agreed brother, but I think this is what we are now trying to improve on/change.

The signings of Kamara and Carlos were a good indication that beyond identifying problem areas, we are now seeking to address them. ( Add iserious interest in players like Bissouma to this also )

The issue is that, whilst fans also agree, there is also a large degree of sentiment ( I'm even partially guilty of this ) which sees us almost hate change.

We agree that several aspects either haven't been good enough, and need to improve/ or change, but are also insistent that the same players ( or type ) need to be involved.

That sentiment ranges all through the way through  personell,  to transfer policy, management, management style and approach etc 

Some aren't even giving the process a chance to " fail " before writing it off.

IMO

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, sne said:

Sevilla are looking at Tanguy Nianzou at Bayern to replace Kounde.

Probably be worth a try if he's available for the right price. He's not going to be a like for like for Carlos but from the little I saw of him at Bayern he looks like a talent. Sevilla have a good track record of signing players and this guy is a PSG youth product which means he's from the best academy in the world.

And he's pretty tall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villan501 said:

Spot on that midfielder who can keep the ball and pass is vital for villa this year. Kamara looks quality but with mcginn and Ramsey giving the ball away we Will crumble.

Mcginn is petrified of the ball he gets it and panics.

Didn’t he have like an 87% pass rate from the w/e?????

5 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Yes, and he is one of our most progressive passers as well.

He is absolutely not a panicky in possession at all.

• Like 2

Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

I kind of feel like his 'scampering' style is sometimes misconstrued as panic, but he's yet to be dispossessed this season, certainly not the liability some would have you believe.

I know a lot of people see a midfielder who can keep the ball as being vital to progression, but in my opinion it's more of a team issue we have, as a team I don't think we recognise situations quickly enough, like when to keep the ball, or when to progress it quickly. For a long time the default has been to progress it quickly no matter the situation, and changing that mentality is taking time. We have a lot of good footballers, they should all be capable of passing it around when needed providing the rest of the team are giving them enough options.

Although getting in another midfielder who can take care of the ball would improve us, I'm not sure it outright solves the issue, the movement and options provided by the whole teams needs to improve as well.

Very true! He does run in a very weird way. Scampering feels like a very apt description. 

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed brother, but I think this is what we are now trying to improve on/change.

The signings of Kamara and Carlos were a good indication that beyond identifying problem areas, we are now seeking to address them. ( Add iserious interest in players like Bissouma to this also )

The issue is that, whilst fans also agree, there is also a large degree of sentiment ( I'm even partially guilty of this ) which sees us almost hate change.

We agree that several aspects either haven't been good enough, and need to improve/ or change, but are also insistent that the same players ( or type ) need to be involved.

That sentiment ranges all through the way through  personell,  to transfer policy, management, management style and approach etc 

Some aren't even giving the process a chance to " fail " before writing it off.

IMO

Impatience is kicking some peoples arses right now, we all suffer from it to some degree. It's a process and we need to see it out. Arsenal have seen out their process for example and look like they could be rewarded (injuries and other factors can change that of course). 

What we do know as of now is that the owners have pumped over £500 million into this club through transfers, our academy and infrastructure etc. We do know we are still in the market through reliable/fairly reliable sources (Fab, Matt, Percy and Tom) and we do know we don't buy a player unless we are sure. 

I can speculate that some of our midfield targets haven't come to fruition for various reasons... Bigger clubs snapping up our targets which shows what pool of players we are looking at (I bet we'll find out 6 months - a year from now that we tried to go in for a big target like we found out about Diaby). Also players holding out for better offers (Bissouma and Bentancur), players may also be waiting out till next summer for a bigger move if it weren't happening this year so they'll sign an extension (Sangare and Ward-Prowse last year). Player agents and connections are another one (Nunes).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

Yep,  but facts don't suit the narrative for the haters,  I thought McGinn played well Saturday and so did JJ. 

All players miss passes during a game,  we dominated possession,  it was just finishing that did us,  fair play Ollie set up 2 but he should of also score 1 or 2, this is our big problem,  if the strikers/attackers are not finishing the chances it puts pressure then on the midfield engines and defence. 

• Like 1

Just now, Joshie2000 said:

Yep,  but facts don't suit the narrative for the haters,  I thought McGinn played well Saturday and so did JJ. 

All players miss passes during a game,  we dominated possession,  it was just finishing that did us,  fair play Ollie set up 2 but he should of also score 1 or 2, this is our big problem,  if the strikers/attackers are not finishing the chances it puts pressure then on the midfield engines and defence. 

He had a good game, he also has some terrible games.  The problem is he doesn't get dropped when he plays bad.

14 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He had a good game, he also has some terrible games.  The problem is he doesn't get dropped when he plays bad.

Yeah to be fair, both JJ and McGinn have been terrible at ball retention and passing in some of our poor games, so guilty to a large degree for overall poor performances.

However credit where it's due, they were both much improved on Saturday, both had very high pass completion rates and JJ made alot of dangerous runs.

So welcomed improvements, both players at their best are real assets.

It's just the consistency.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Impatience is kicking some peoples arses right now, we all suffer from it to some degree. It's a process and we need to see it out. Arsenal have seen out their process for example and look like they could be rewarded (injuries and other factors can change that of course). 

What we do know as of now is that the owners have pumped over £500 million into this club through transfers, our academy and infrastructure etc. We do know we are still in the market through reliable/fairly reliable sources (Fab, Matt, Percy and Tom) and we do know we don't buy a player unless we are sure. 

I can speculate that some of our midfield targets haven't come to fruition for various reasons... Bigger clubs snapping up our targets which shows what pool of players we are looking at (I bet we'll find out 6 months - a year from now that we tried to go in for a big target like we found out about Diaby). Also players holding out for better offers (Bissouma and Bentancur), players may also be waiting out till next summer for a bigger move if it weren't happening this year so they'll sign an extension (Sangare and Ward-Prowse last year). Player agents and connections are another one (Nunes).

Something tells me in the list of iffy transfers.....that maybe speculation.

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is it 70m if we refuse to take Maguire and just give them McGinn?

No, it’s 50m cash or £80m if we agree to take Maguire. 

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Something tells me in the list of iffy transfers.....that maybe speculation.

It could be to be fair and you are probably right, I think I'm basing that off what reporters say about our dealings etc. I don't think anyone at the club has really confirmed that to be the case?