Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Arsenal signing zinchenko.

We really need 1-2 more really, really high quality signings if we think we are moving far up the table.

Arsenal challenging 4th-6th.

We are challenging 7th-9th. Euro Conference League is our best possible achievement or a League Cup win, IMO.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, allani said:

However, he still scored 50% more goals last season than Watkins.  I don't think we will be signing Tammy so it is slightly irrelevant but I will use him as an example.  If you just look at the xG to Goals figures then it is easy to say that if Watkins had as many opportunities as Tammy then he would score more goals.  However, you also have to consider why Tammy has a higher xG figure.  Watching him last season (I now live in Italy and Roma are my adopted Italian team - mainly down to Totti and Batistuta being two of my favourite players) what Tammy did well last season was creating chances for himself when he had no real right to.  In short he has developed a knack of being in the right place at the right time - in part down to gambling on where the ball might go and making sure he is in command of that part of the penalty box.  Meanwhile I think Ollie is less instinctive and reacts to what is happening - this means that a lot of the time he *almost* gets a chance but the ball doesn't quite make it to him.  For example he vary rarely follows in on shots and tucks away the rebound.  Tammy scored two or three goals this season with various parts of his anatomy just through rebounds "hitting" him and going into the net.  The biggest reason that Ollie's xG is so low is because he isn't creating as many of these types of chances - I also think his first touch often means that he gets blocked before he gets a shot off - in my opinion that should still be counted within the xG figures because there was a chance but I am pretty sure not having a shot when you could / should have done is not considered in those stats.  I think it is less about the rest of the team making more chances for him and more about him learning to become an predator in and around the box.  I think Jimmy Greaves asked the question many, many years ago about what is better - a striker who (on average) gets 1 or 2 chances a match and scores once or a striker who makes 4 chances a match and scores (on average 1.5 goals a match).  His response was that the latter was better because overall they scored more goals.  If Ollie can improve those parts of his game then he should immediately get more chances, a higher xG and more goals.  At the same time - hopefully we will be more in control of the middle of the pitch and allow our midfielders more possession closer to the opposition box, also resulting in more chances being created.

Tammy was brilliant last season, in an unbalanced side which overachieved with Mourinho he was key. Pellegrini a surprise standout too. 

I don't think we'll be signing him, he's had success in europe and I think he'll do well to stay in Rome and see if the new owners can give Mourinho what he wants. If they can then he'll get more goals this year. Until we're in European competition then I don't think we'll be on his radar again.

Where are you in Italy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

You what now?

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. My point was that the standard across the Italian league is weaker than the PL, and performances in that league dont necessarily translate well over here. For example, Tammy wasn't doing anything special here but is one of the best strikers in Italy. Same with Lukaku...struggled at Man Utd and Chelsea but was deadly for Inter. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Arsenal signing zinchenko.

We really need 1-2 more really, really high quality signings if we think we are moving far up the table.

Arsenal have had a good summer window. Added real quality. Still think they lack a lethal goalscorer, but they now have no notable weaknesses. They will have a good crack at 4th place. 

I do think our goalie, back four and probably DM are better than theirs. If we add that midfielder then the midfield will be at least as good. However their creative assets are superior IMO. But that could turn on its head. To many unknowns about our attack still for me.  Bailey and Buendia, how good are they really? Coutinho, can he be consistent? Watkins and Ings, do they have the qualities to shine in this set up?

For me this summer was always about re-inforcing the foundation and spine (back four and quality in those central areas). Next summer the focus should be the attack.

Not sure why people keep referencing Arsenal signing good players, they're Arsenal of course they're signing good players, they always have and always will, they're aren't going to conveniently stop doing so just so we can catch them, if we want to get closer to them we have to sign good players of our own, but that's not something we should expect to happen over this summer, will take longer, teams we're aiming to catch in the shorter term are the likes of Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and so on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. My point was that the standard across the Italian league is weaker than the PL, and performances in that league dont necessarily translate well over here. For example, Tammy wasn't doing anything special here but is one of the best strikers in Italy. Same with Lukaku...struggled at Man Utd and Chelsea but was deadly for Inter. 

Tammy got 15 Premier League goals two seasons back for Chelsea

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why people keep referencing Arsenal signing good players, they're Arsenal of course they're signing good players, they always have and always will, they're aren't going to conveniently stop doing so just so we can catch them, if we want to get closer to them we have to sign good players of our own, but that's not something we should expect to happen over this summer, will take longer, teams we're aiming to catch in the shorter term are the likes of Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and so on.

Exactly.

What Arsenal are doing though is addressing their main areas of weakness which, for the most part, we have done too.

We have had a great window so far with Kamara and Carlos excellent improvements on what is already here.

We're still one or two signings short of having an unbelievable window, but there's still time and Gerrard himself has said that we're still looking to improve.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Two seasons back Tammy and Ollie had almost the exact same goal contributions, but one played for Chelsea, and the other played every game. For me they are at a similar level, Tammy a better goalscorer, Ollie better at linking and pressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Exactly.

What Arsenal are doing though is addressing their main areas of weakness which, for the most part, we have done too.

We have had a great window so far with Kamara and Carlos excellent improvements on what is already here.

We're still one or two signings short of having an unbelievable window, but there's still time and Gerrard himself has said that we're still looking to improve.

I agree. I'm less convinced by their addressing of weaknesses than ours though. A goalscorer was their problem, Jesus is a solid replacement for Lacasette, but they still need that top striker IMO. Is Zinchenko good enough as a midfielder?

I am very confident about Kamara and Carlos. I think they are made for.premier league football.

The rest of the signings are squad players. Their squad is still deeper than ours.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes and Watkins got 14 goals two seasons back. The gulf in quality of the two teams tells you all you need to know about those respective achievements. 

18 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Arsenal challenging 4th-6th.

We are challenging 7th-9th. Euro Conference League is our best possible achievement or a League Cup win, IMO.

I don't see Arsenal getting near top 4.  

City and Liverpool will be top 2, Chelsea probably 3rd or 4th and although Arsenal have strengthened, so have Spurs, and they have Conte.  Top 4 will be same as last season.

Just now, duke313 said:

I don't see Arsenal getting near top 4.  

City and Liverpool will be top 2, Chelsea probably 3rd or 4th and although Arsenal have strengthened, so have Spurs, and they have Conte.  Top 4 will be same as last season.

Maybe not, but that is what they are challenging/aiming for.

12 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Strange article. Villa have two players on here - ezri and chambers. Must only be current players though cos no mention of elphick...

Yes one is 6 foot the other is 10mm under six foot. 

15 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Two seasons back Tammy and Ollie had almost the exact same goal contributions, but one played for Chelsea, and the other played every game. For me they are at a similar level, Tammy a better goalscorer, Ollie better at linking and pressing.

Makes me laugh how some people on here think Ollie isn't good enough to take us to the next level, but Tammy is. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Maybe not, but that is what they are challenging/aiming for.

They bottled top 4 last season, despite having no European distractions and out of the FA Cup in 3rd round.