Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I also think our squad is very good. There’s a lot of unfulfilled potential in there and it’s up to the coaches to get that out now. With new players settled and a bit of luck with injuries, we might just have a very good season. For me that would be to be in the top half consistently and threaten the European places, at least spending parts of the season in them even if we don’t end up in Europe.

This will be also the first ‘proper’ pre-season for quite a few of the lads - without Covid disruptions and Grealish drama. The likes of Ings and Bailey and Emi will benefit massively from that to name but a few. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This will be also the first ‘proper’ pre-season for quite a few of the lads - without Covid disruptions and Grealish drama. The likes of Ings and Bailey and Emi will benefit massively from that to name but a few. 

Yeah I think this is quite an important fact… also read recently that this is Dougie’s first proper/full preseason in yonks too… 

Hope this is key in ensuring most of our players perform near their best and quite consistently this season. We can do well if that’s the case…

We’ve had more than our fair share of disruptions, time for a bit of stability.

6 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

If Buendia, Bailey and Ings start firing in addition to good transitions from Carlos and Kamara then I think we will be knocking on the door of top 6. 

No chance.

Love the positivity in here but we’re a centre half, a striker and a new midfielder away from challenging for Europe in my opinion.

If we don’t sign another player in this window, I think we’ll finish between 9th-11th this season. 

• Like 2

Anyone think Deano would be interested in any of his former players? Lend us a hand? 😆

Anwar & Davis are all yours Deano…

Loans for some of our youngsters?

I suppose wages might be an issue for a side like Norwich or maybe he feels he has or can get better…

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah I think this is quite an important fact… also read recently that this is Dougie’s first proper/full preseason in yonks too… 

Hope this is key in ensuring most of our players perform near their best and quite consistently this season. We can do well if that’s the case…

We’ve had more than our fair share of disruptions, time for a bit of stability.

For sure - plus with Critchley in place - we’ve got a settled coaching team also. Let’s hope the pieces align nicely. 

19 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

If Buendia, Bailey and Ings start firing in addition to good transitions from Carlos and Kamara then I think we will be knocking on the door of top 6. 

I wouldn’t completely rule it out, top 8 would be as far as I could imagine personally. But it’s also a dream scenario  (players start firing as you say) and sounds overly optimistic. Just a top half finish would be progress after our previous seasons (14th is really poor tbh, finishing below Brentford & Newcastle 🤦‍♂️) but I’m sure there’s more ambition at the club than that… depends on what further business we do imo.

We can’t forget/overlook how competitive the league is, other teams will strengthen and have players needing to hit form too. It doesn’t solely depend on us. Other sides that underperformed (e.g. Leicester, Man U) will be looking to do better. And some of the sides we were looking to reach or mix it with are pulling away now. We have to be as competitive as possible and fight hard in games rather than wilt or give in to pressure. 

If the ownership genuinely want or expect Europe… then I’m afraid they will have to continue to spend…

But maybe steady progress is the better approach and reduced expectations to go with that. Maybe we could surprise a few people… here’s hoping.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

For sure - plus with Critchley in place - we’ve got a settled coaching team also. Let’s hope the pieces align nicely. 

I really hope so. Mostly looking forward to seeing the best of some our key players such as Coutinho and Buendia… that’s exciting.

Not sure about the coaching team, could possibly be too bloated and I’ve never been a fan of the additions of Danks & McPhee…

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No chance.

Love the positivity in here but we’re a centre half, a striker and a new midfielder away from challenging for Europe in my opinion.

If we don’t sign another player in this window, I think we’ll finish between 9th-11th this season. 

I'm not sure we desperately need another CB, but a midfielder is key. The balance is wrong there, as we don't turn over the play enough and lose possession too readily in that department. If we can improve those two aspects then we will start to control games and win more frequently. 

A striker would be the icing on the cake and I think someone similar in style to Firmino would be perfect. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No chance.

I always find myself being overly optimistic in pre season and then overly pessimistic when the season starts!!

I do agree about bringing in a quality number 8. 

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No chance.

Disagree, I think we'll be challenging as well. Don't look at us in comparison to the top 6, look at us in comparison to the teams genuinely challenging them, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves. Our back 5 is as good as any of theirs if not better, midfield with 3 of McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson and Kamara with good youngsters coming through as well. Maybe could use another 8 but that's still a comparable midfield to those teams. At the top Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho is incredible strength.

We may need 2 or 3 more before we could realistically become cemented as a top 6 team, but no reason whatsoever our squad won't be challenging up there next season. 

I think with the investment in players who are in their prime its pretty clear to me that the owners aren't here for a 9th-11th season this time round. We're not buying players for incremental progress, we're buying ready made for now. 

Also worth noting last season Gerrard had the team in 9th in an inconsistent season with glaring holes in the squad. We've filled the 2 most important holes (CB and DM), there's no way we shouldn't expect to already improve on that 

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Two days for Otavio’s agent to construct a move before his clause rise to over €50mill - IF it ever was to happen today would be the day the news breaks … 

If we do this deal today, it’s not because of the raise in the release clause. we be doing it because it’s Wednesday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The squad should have challenged top 8 last season and have improved positions

European challenge isnt impossible 

Probably would have if the start to the season wasn’t so bad. We finished 7 points off 8th which isn’t a massive amount.