Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

And they won one of them finals, and beaten in the other by a team that got further than them in the CL the following season. 

Rice is extremely overrated.

I accept that the fee Wet Spam are quoting is excessive, but I would say that he is well worth £80m - £100m of our owners money myself. He's 100% better than Phillips in my opinion.

1 minute ago, John said:

I accept that the fee Wet Spam are quoting is excessive, but I would say that he is well worth £80m - £100m of our owners money myself. He's 100% better than Phillips in my opinion.

English tax.  If he played for Ireland he'd be worth £20m max.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Seems Pool are closing in on Bellingham.

In the past, you would have thought this is the kind of transfer Man I would be making.

However, it seems they continue to go down the failed " Galacticos " route. Which continues to result in them having brilliant players who aren't a brilliant team.

I dont think they will sell Haaland and Bellingham in the same summer. Fans wouldnt take it, especially as they like to give big players farewells in the last game 

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

No chance, Rice is a £50m player easy. If we're quoting £40-50m for McGinn, Rice is worth more than that even if you take out the tax for a young, English, regular-captain of a club battling for Europe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I prefer them to the Villa View parasites. At least MOMS is honest and is coming from a genuine place. 

Lol I don't dislike them mate, but they are definitely some miserable bastards 😂

If anything I use their Pods to send me to sleep.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

No chance, Rice is a £50m player easy. If we're quoting £40-50m for McGinn, Rice is worth more than that even if you take out the tax for a young, English, regular-captain of a club battling for Europe

I see both sides of the argument here, I dont rate Rice that highly but then if see the Phillips fee who I think is complete garbage then its hard to see why Rice wouldnt be rated higher

If he was Spanish or French he wouldnt be rated at all and would be playing most of his career at a team like Nantes or Espanyol as he wouldnt have made it near the international level

• Like 1

Why would we not be interested in Soucek if he is available from West Ham?

A physical 8 which is what we need. Goals dried up this season but in previous 18 months he was chipping in, 10 goals in 20/21 season.

That's what we want isn't it? Central midfielder capable of double figures who can also offer physical presence, shield the CBs and pass the ball o.k. All things I think he does better than John McGinn.

Just now, VillaChris said:

A physical 8 which is what we need. Goals dried up this season but in previous 18 months he was chipping in, 10 goals in 20/21 season.

That's what we want isn't it? Central midfielder capable of double figures who can also offer physical presence, shield the CBs and pass the ball o.k. All things I think he does better than John McGinn.

Honestly, he's really not very good. Ineffective in so many areas you'd want a CM to be proficient in.

Someone posted his stats a while back and it said it all (can't be bothered to find them, sorry).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Shocking amount for an untrusted utility player. Football seems kinda broken doesn't it?

We were probably paying more for those MON bomb squad players over a decade ago.

Yeah loan for Sanson felts the right fit tbh. Such a waste if he just spends another year warming the bench so hopefully he finds a good club back in France or another euro league and we can sell him next summer.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think there might be an argument that, as we are trying to compete with/overtake West Ham, hiring their " cast offs " would be counter productive.

Obviously I know that's a one dimensional train of thought, but if they think they can/will be better without him, it hangs the question.

What are his weaknesses?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Honestly, he's really not very good. Ineffective in so many areas you'd want a CM to be proficient in.

Someone posted his stats a while back and it said it all (can't be bothered to find them, sorry).

How are West Ham so good these days then given Rice is overrated junk, Antonio scored about one goal in six months, Zouma is playing for RSPCA 11 currently....😉

I think if Soucek is out there being offered to other clubs it would be a good move for a few reasons.

Premier league experienced CM to help Kamara settle in and not put all the pressure on him to hit the ground running as our defensive lynchpin (part of the reason I came round to wanting Bissouma in the end). Better goal threat in midfield aswell as I think we could be more of a threat from set pieces and he certainly is that for West Ham.

Plus strategically it weakens West Ham as they'd probably lose Rice next summer when he has one year left on his deal and wants to go play CL.

They're a club we need to be finishing above sooner or later.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think there might be an argument that, as we are trying to compete with/overtake West Ham, hiring their " cast offs " would be counter productive.

Obviously I know that's a one dimensional train of thought, but if they think they can/will be better without him, it hangs the question.

What are his weaknesses?

He's hardly a cast off. Joined them when they were battling relegation with us in Feb 2020. As a regular he's helped them to a 6th and 7th place finish and europa SF.

Would be a bit like Bowen refusing to sign a new deal with two years left and so West Ham would have to put him on the market and that's a guy who'd be brilliant in our team.

We need to sign one anyway.

Nothing more Villa than deciding Kamara is enough, he gets a bad injury the game after the window closes and so we're just back to last year's options. 

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

If you consider that our midfield three of the future is likely to be Kamara sitting deeper behind two #8s from Ramsey/McGinn/new signing, you have to look at the profile of what they bring to the team.

Ramsey is great progressing the ball by dribbling, and getting in to the opponents penalty area.

McGinn is better progressing the ball via a pass than he is by dribbling, is (buzz-word alert) press-resistant but tends to make those forward runs less so than Ramsey. However, an argument could be made that with Kamara behind them both, McGinn could feel more comfortable getting further forward next season.

So what should we be looking for in that new #8? Another progressive dribbler like Ramsey, who like to move forward with the ball at his feet? Someone more cultured when playing the pass, to be able to get the ball in to the forward three quicker? Or even a player who is more defensively stout who can comfortably fit in for Kamara as a #6 should he have to miss a game, but can also play further forward in that more box-to-box role?

I honestly don't know the answer. There are multiple avenues that they could go down. Perhaps Soucek fits their view. Maybe it's Gallagher. More likely it will be someone that's not really been discussed yet.

It will perhaps be their most "telling" transfer so far. The need for a Defensive Midfielder was obvious. The upgrade at Centre Back with better distribution was also needed. We've got them both in early.

The only real question left about the starting XI to be resolved this summer in my eyes (as I think up front will change next summer, not this year).... What kind of midfield trio does Gerrard want to have?