Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

31 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

As per my comment he is been quoted at 20m to 25m. Not exactly breaking the bank for a striker with potential

Were already investing heavily in potential via the academy.

Diaz is the kind of signing we would have made when Dean was here in our first couple of seasons after coming up from the championship.

I'd like to think that were past that point in the project now and we are going for direct upgrades to what we already have rather than taking punts on championship players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

As good as Danny Ings is and has been, I’d be happy to part ways with him. 

we don’t need his wage on the books and we don’t need him standing in the way of prospects. 

if we get some cash for him, even better. 

Didn't Archer praise him after one of the cup games for helping him. Actually helping the younger players

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m sure he has been mentioned, but how about Nketieh on a free transfer?

He’s 23 so would fit in that age bracket between Watkins and Archer.

Had a decent end to last season as well.

The apparent reason he is not signing / delaying signing for Arsenal is that he wants first team football. I can't see him viewing Villa as the club to offer him a starting birth in our 1st 11

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Were already investing heavily in potential via the academy.

Diaz is the kind of signing we would have made when Dean was here in our first couple of seasons after coming up from the championship.

I'd like to think that were past that point in the project now and we are going for direct upgrades to what we already have rather than taking punts on championship players. 

Yeah, that makes sense but it also suggests that to upgrade our strikers or even complement our strikers we would need to be paying major transfer fee, unless we can get a Suarez type player for 1 season

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We just don't need another striker.  Watkins and Ings are both good strikers.

If we have injuries or suspensions then we may be a little light upfront. Also, I would like to see us play a strong side in the cups too. A Carabao Cup win would be great for Villa and would give us Europa football

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If we have injuries or suspensions then we may be a little light upfront. Also, I would like to see us play a strong side in the cups too. A Carabao Cup win would be great for Villa and would give us Europa football

We've still got Davis and Archer, Bailey could play up top (not on his own).  We just don't need to invest at that end of the pitch, unless we sell someone.  Even then, if we sell Davis for example, I reckon we'll bring in a young striker.  It won't be a £30m+ purchase to compete with Watkins and Ings.

Just now, bobzy said:

We've still got Davis and Archer, Bailey could play up top (not on his own).  We just don't need to invest at that end of the pitch, unless we sell someone.  Even then, if we sell Davis for example, I reckon we'll bring in a young striker.  It won't be a £30m+ purchase to compete with Watkins and Ings.

I am assuming we sell Davis and send Archer on loan. To bring in a striker to compete with Ings and Ollie would need a lot more than 30m+, I think we would be in the 60m+ price range. That's why a 12 month deal for a Suarez type player could be suited to Villa this season. Then the following season we should have a much improved Archer ready for the Villa 1st 11

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am assuming we sell Davis and send Archer on loan. To bring in a striker to compete with Ings and Ollie would need a lot more than 30m+, I think we would be in the 60m+ price range. That's why a 12 month deal for a Suarez type player could be suited to Villa this season. Then the following season we should have a much improved Archer ready for the Villa 1st 11

I don't think Watkins or Ings are worth anywhere near £60m, but I guess we're splitting hairs here.

I don't think there'll be any drive to bring in a first-team striker unless it's some proper marquee "good value" deal which comes out of nowhere.

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think Watkins or Ings are worth anywhere near £60m, but I guess we're splitting hairs here.

I don't think there'll be any drive to bring in a first-team striker unless it's some proper marquee "good value" deal which comes out of nowhere.

I don't think Watkins or Ollie are anywhere near 60m either, but to buy a striker as good as them that is the cost in the current market imo. 

• Like 1

Need to have a look at Archer in pre-season. If he’s good enough, retain him for the first team squad and promise him the cups and time off the bench. If not then send him out on loan again for 6/12 months and get a short term striker fix sorted.
We can then make an informed decision next year on a new long term signing. It seems rash to replace Watkins or Ings with a new expensive signing on the back of one iffy and disrupted season and with Archer threatening to break through. We need that money for a midfielder.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Need to have a look at Archer in pre-season. If he’s good enough, retain him for the first team squad and promise him the cups and time off the bench. If not then send him out on loan again for 6/12 months and get a short term striker fix sorted.
We can then make an informed decision next year on a new long term signing. It seems rash to replace Watkins or Ings with a new expensive signing on the back of one iffy and disrupted season and with Archer threatening to break through. We need that money for a midfielder.

Do you think SG rates him, though? DS clearly did, but at this stage I don't think Stevie is gonna give him minutes.

If we’re happy with our current strikers but would like to add another (experienced) option, then how about Cavani?

Suarez has been mentioned constantly (but sounding unlikely) but Cavani would probably be a decent option and offer some guidance and nous to our current crop. Strong in the air too which is not an asset we possess really.

Personally, I’d like us to solidify midfield (put a dominant, physical presence with quality and composure on the ball next to Kamara, a Bissouma type) and play (and free up) both Coutinho and Buendia behind one CF, rather than two.

The pair of them being able to focus on creating and scoring, free to express themselves, is an exciting prospect. And linking up with either Ramsey or McGinn in that CM spot (rotating, JJ the front runner), with two solid DMs behind them (I’d even like to see Luiz at CM or even next to Kamara occasionally) just sounds like it would work really well.

I do expect our strikers to perform better but are they clinical enough? Can they be? It depends on how much they can improve because neither of them had a particularly great season. Maybe preseason is key to that. I still feel trying to accommodate both of them in the side is a bit problematic despite improved performances and results in the latter part of the season.

Archer is an exciting proposition but I don’t see how he gets in ahead of them, maybe he’ll shine in preseason if given enough of an opportunity… would be good to give him a chance or look in.

I would like to move Ings on, although I have no issue with him really it’s just his age and wages and the fact that he didn’t perform as well as hoped/expected plus he seems such a slow and awkward runner at times. There’s no longevity there imo. If we could trade him for Bissouma… that would be a highly beneficial deal.

If he stays, hopefully we can get him to perform better. But where does that leave Watkins? If we play with one CF?

I know we need depth but, for the majority of last season, they both seemed to hinder or disrupt each other for the most part.

I‘m a big fan of Ollie, he gives us so much especially when he’s on form. What a great debut season he had.

He’s a tireless runner and presses like crazy, a nightmare for opposition defenders but… he needs to improve his touch, control, composure and finishing… needs to be more clinical.

Although, we need to ensure he’s not so isolated and we stop hoofing it long so often (McGinn!) to him and improve our build up play and support instead.

I do agree that there are plenty of sides that would happily have Ings and Watkins available to them but they’d still have to get the best out of them too…

As others have already stated, getting midfield right is the priority. Maybe see how that leaves us and how we set up and perform during preseason before making moves in other areas? 

Defence should be fine too, I’m looking forward to a Mings & Carlos partnership. I expect Ty to perform better and be more consistent with a strong and experienced presence next to him.

Digne and Cash are excellent, Matty helps us so much defensively too. And I expect them to be even better this season.

Excited to see what further moves we make now that the window is officially open. Feeling quite relaxed about it, getting Kamara signed has provided a welcome boost and relief. 

Edited by Jas10

Just now, HKP90 said:

Do you think SG rates him, though? DS clearly did, but at this stage I don't think Stevie is gonna give him minutes.

I assume SG knows very little about him but I am sure he is well aware of the positive reports he is getting and will give him a fair crack 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

We need that money for a midfielder.

Respectfully, none of us no what our budget is and whether / how much it will be affected by player sales. It wouldn’t surprise me if we spent (gross) a pretty startling amount because the owners & SG are in a hurry to progress. Coaching is important, but what you are coaching (in terms of quality) is the difference maker for a top 6-8 finish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

If we’re happy with our current strikers but would like to add another (experienced) option, then how about Cavani?

Suarez has been mentioned constantly (but sounding unlikely) but Cavani would probably be a decent option and offer some guidance and nous to our current crop. Strong in the air too which is not an asset we possess really.

Personally, I’d like us to solidify midfield (put a dominant, physical presence with quality and composure on the ball next to Kamara, a Bissouma type) and play (and free up) both Coutinho and Buendia behind one CF, rather than two.

The pair of them being able to focus on creating and scoring, free to express themselves, is an exciting prospect. And linking up with either Ramsey or McGinn in that CM spot (rotating, JJ the front runner), with two solid DMs behind them (I’d even like to see Luiz there) just sounds like it would work really well.

I do expect our strikers to perform better but are they clinical enough? Can they be? It depends on how much they can improve because neither of them had a particularly great season. Maybe preseason is key to that. I still feel trying to accommodate both of them in the side is a bit problematic despite improved performances and results in the latter part of the season.

Archer is an exciting proposition but I don’t see how he gets in ahead of them, maybe he’ll shine in preseason if given enough of an opportunity… would be good to give him a chance or look in.

I would like to move Ings on, although I have no issue with him really it’s just his age and wages and the fact that he didn’t perform as well as hoped/expected plus he seems such a slow and awkward runner at times. There’s no longevity there imo. If we could trade him for Bissouma… that would be a highly beneficial deal.

If he stays, hopefully we can get him to perform better. But where does that leave Watkins? If we play with one CF?

I know we need depth but, for the majority of last season, they both seemed to hinder or disrupt each other for the most part.

I‘m a big fan of Ollie, he gives us so much especially when he’s on form. What a great debut season he had.

He’s a tireless runner and presses like crazy, a nightmare for opposition defenders but… he needs to improve his touch, control, composure and finishing… needs to be more clinical.

Although, we need to ensure he’s not so isolated and we stop hoofing it long so often (McGinn!) to him and improve our build up play and support instead.

I do agree that there are plenty of sides that would happily have Ings and Watkins available to them but they’d still have to get the best out of them too…

As others have already stated, getting midfield right is the priority. Maybe see how that leaves us and how we set up and perform during preseason before making moves in other areas? 

Defence should be fine too, I’m looking forward to a Mings & Carlos partnership. I expect Ty to perform better and be more consistent with a strong and experienced presence next to him.

Digne and Cash are excellent, Matty helps us so much defensively too. And I expect them to be even better this season.

Excited to see what further moves we make now that the window is officially open. Feeling quite relaxed about it, getting Kamara signed has provided a welcome boost and relief. 

I would be happy with Cavani, he would be great for the younger players too

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I assume SG knows very little about him but I am sure he is well aware of the positive reports he is getting and will give him a fair crack 

Hope so, i've always liked him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It will be hard to ignore what he did at Preston, I think he’ll be watched over pre season

• Like 1

We won't be going for Breteton Diaz, he's had one good season in his career so far, before this season his best goal tally in the league was seven goals, after remember the championship was particularly poor as well, Mitrovic who hasn't been very great at Premier level scored forty plus, Solanke scored nearly thirty, Weimann scored the same amount as Diaz and got many more assists, Karlan Grant who was poor in the Premier league was also amongst the leading scorers...

Have to guard against thinking that just because a player is scoring at championship level that they can do it at Premier League level, some can some can't, have to look at their all round game.

If we bring in another striker, it will be someone who's seen as an improvement on Watkins and Ings, that certainly won't be Diaz.