Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, useless said:

Sherwood didn't have a better start than Gerrard, we took less points (20) in Sherwood's whole time time with us, than we've taken with Gerrard this season. Sherwood was sacked after we lost eight out of nine games and drew the other one. Gerrard's start is more comparable to Smith's, Gerrard has taken 26 points from his first twenty games, Smith took 29, both were brought in at similar times of the season as well.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Nobody is desperate for him to fail. Why would we want our team to lese to say we told you so. Seems childish and he has been praised for the rare good performances

Big difference here is I am expecting him to fail which is the disgrace 

Nah you clearly want him to fail lol. With the amount of posts you make attacking him daily, I seriously doubt you don't have massive investment in wanting to see him fail.

• Like 2

If he was available and actually possible for us to get, Jesus would be a bit of a no brainer really. Well drilled, good age, would suit our system well and also he's not going to be so incredible that we ruin Watkins and can't get chances for Archer.

If we want a truly top level striker - that's not Jesus - but honestly we aren't likely to attract a top number 9, we'd need to find the next Drogba/Rooney/Kane etc and that comes with big risks (Wesley) and young, up and comers aren't what Gerrards after.

Jesus would be a best-of-both-worlds, we get a player that fits, allows other players good opportunities and Gerrard & Purslow get a household name. 

Ings + £10m to Brighton for Bissouma, Jesus in for £30m. Winner.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez / Olsen

Defence

Cash / Chambers

New CB / Konsa

Mings / Hause

Digne / Hickey

Midfield

McGinn / Sanson

Bissouma / Nakamba

Ramsey /  New CM

Attack

Coutinho / Buendia

Ings / Bailey

Watkins / Archer

New CF / Young

Anyone not listed is sold unless they're youth players who go on loan. That's a 25 man squad when you add in the 3rd keeper. 

Bissouma / Hickey hopefully can get signed. While the other new CM should be experienced head. 

Did a similar exercise myself last week and this is almost identical to what I came up with.

Chambers more cover for RB than CB and a new CB to compete with Konsa and MIngs for the two starting spots. New youngish LB to understudy Digne, with Young possibly sticking around as cover for this and other positions.

New DM should and I think will be first priority of the window, with Nakamba sticking around and Iroegbunam there as well as further cover across the midfield. The new CM could be of a level to compete/surpass Ramsey or McGinn for a starting place rather than straight up backup if we've got the FFP room, with Sanson hopefully in the mix as well.

In attack I think we could see one more in and out. Basically if Traore goes replace with a flexible attacking option but more AM or inside forward role. If Ings (or Watkins) goes get a striker. If both go obviously get both replacements.

For some reason I thought Jesus was about 30, but only just turned 25.

53 goals and 31 assists in 153 Premier League appearances, a lot of those appearances off the bench as well, he's actually played less than an hundred games worth of PL football in terms of minutes on the pitch, so his record is pretty unusually great, would seem a bargain for a Premier League team if they could get him for £30m presuing he doesn't have any injury issues.

Really could do with a strong finish to the season might help us to look a better proposition for these kind of players next season.

• Like 1

I think Gerrard will say, he's happy with his Martinez, Digne/Cash,  JJ/McGinn, Coutinho/Buendia, Watkins/Ings. He also likes Chambers and Young 

He needs another CB, two midfielders and a CF of experienced first team quality to add to the group and left back cover.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard will say, he's happy with his Martinez, Digne/Cash,  JJ/McGinn, Coutinho/Buendia, Watkins/Ings. He also likes Chambers and Young 

He needs another CB, two midfielders and a CF of experienced first team quality to add to the group and left back cover.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ings go tbh.

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Who else is dreading the transfer window this summer?

Nope, I'd be shocked if we go through the window without seriously improving the defensive side of the midfield. And IMO that will make a massive difference to our results next season and any improvements beyond that will be a bonus. Considering with recent results we are still at 1.3ppg (equivalent of around 49-50 points per season) under Gerrard, and a really strong finish could still get us as high as 1.5ish ppg (or 57 point over a full season), I think getting the midfield right alone this summer sets us up for a decent 22/23 season.

• Like 2

Watkins / Ings for example have got 4 goals and 3 assists between them in the 5 games we've played 4 3 1 2. Plus the first half battering against Spurs where they both should have had more goals and assists. I think they are working as well together in that system as at any point in the season and must start all the remaining games to further build the attacking understanding.

If we add in a CF (like Suarez) and Archer to those two with the 5 subs it is looking good. Coutinho/Buendia I can't ask for two better players for the 10 spot. If we are going to adapt to a more fluid front 3 then Bailey in the mix too. That's a good attack.

I think we need two physically/mentally strong players to play centre-back and defensive central midfield.  If there's a decent striker out there that is willing to come to us (Jesus? Firminho?) then that should be the next priority.  Take the highest offer for Mings and Luiz (unless he signs a new deal by June, as he shouldn't remain at the club to run down his contract).  Also consider selling McGinn (at a massive profit) if FFP is a problem.  I'd keep Konsa, Hause and Chambers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins / Ings for example have got 4 goals and 3 assists between them in the 5 games we've played 4 3 1 2. Plus the first half battering against Spurs where they both should have had more goals and assists. I think they are working as well together in that system as at any point in the season and must start all the remaining games to further build the attacking understanding.

If we add in a CF (like Suarez) and Archer to those two with the 5 subs it is looking good. Coutinho/Buendia I can't ask for two better players for the 10 spot. If we are going to adapt to a more fluid front 3 then Bailey in the mix too. That's a good attack.

Our record starting Ings and Watkins under Gerrard is P8 W4 D1 L3 which is 1.63ppg (62pts in a full season) with 1.88 goals scored per game and 1.38 conceded. The draw and 3 defeats were all top 8 sides - Man Utd (gifted them two goals), Chelsea (gifted them two pens), West Ham (pretty even until last 20mins, when they scored almost immediately after Ings taken off) and Spurs (which we should've killed by half time but for Lloris and some poor finishing)

Starting just one of them we are P12 W4 D1 L7, 1.08ppg (41pts full season), 1.08 scored pg and 1.25 conceded.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ings go tbh.

I can't see why we would let him go. He's an vastly experienced player who by all accounts is positive experience to have at the club. His stats are still good even though it's been a poor season. He will improve and the partnership with Watkins will only get better

10 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I think we need two physically/mentally strong players to play centre-back and defensive central midfield.  If there's a decent striker out there that is willing to come to us (Jesus? Firminho?) then that should be the next priority.  Take the highest offer for Mings and Luiz (unless he signs a new deal by June, as he shouldn't remain at the club to run down his contract).  Also consider selling McGinn (at a massive profit) if FFP is a problem.  I'd keep Konsa, Hause and Chambers.

Would be madness to sell Mings. Like the only leader we have at the club outfield.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Our record starting Ings and Watkins under Gerrard is P8 W4 D1 L3 which is 1.63ppg (62pts in a full season) with 1.88 goals scored per game and 1.38 conceded. The draw and 3 defeats were all top 8 sides - Man Utd (gifted them two goals), Chelsea (gifted them two pens), West Ham (pretty even until last 20mins, when they scored almost immediately after Ings taken off) and Spurs (which we should've killed by half time but for Lloris and some poor finishing)

Starting just one of them we are P12 W4 D1 L7, 1.08ppg (41pts full season), 1.08 scored pg and 1.25 conceded.

Good post. I don't really see any issues with our attack other than we only have 4 players (Watkins/Ings, Coutinho/Buendia) who thrive in the system. Bailey deserves a chance to impress and can go on loan if that doesn't work out. But we need to move out the wide players (AEG,Traore,Trez) and bring in more CFs so we've competition in the formation we play. 

The big flaw is we need real competition for JJ/McGinn in the 8 positions from someone experienced. We also need the right central midfielder with excellent defensive attributes and passing skills. Add in a CB to start ahead of Konsa with excellent passing skills and we could be vastly better side next season. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Good post. I don't really see any issues with our attack other than we only have 4 players (Watkins/Ings, Coutinho/Buendia) who thrive in the system. Bailey deserves a chance to impress and can go on loan if that doesn't work out. But we need to move out the wide players (AEG,Traore,Trez) and bring in more CFs so we've competition in the formation we play. 

The big flaw is we need real competition for JJ/McGinn in the 8 positions from someone experienced. We also need the right central midfielder with excellent defensive attributes and passing skills. Add in a CB to start ahead of Konsa with excellent passing skills and we could be vastly better side next season. 

Mcginn needs replaced. I’m also keen to give konsa a chance with a decent midfield in front of him 

I'd really like us to go and get Obite Evan Ndicka from Frankfurt. 22, left footed CB with only a year left on his contract.

Very good in the air (97th percentile for aerial duels) his big selling point. Be like getting a younger Hause with more talent and without the rapping.

Sort of linked to Spurs, he even makes the WhoScored team of the season so far for The Bundesliga too. Being left footed he'd be ideal to replace Mings long term and young enough that Ming's still would have a large role.

Would probably need more of a ball player next to him though, which is perhaps where it falls down as Mings is the one art the minute who does more of the passing currently.

But maybe next to Gomez it may work. I'd still like us to look atMaxcence Lacroix too though.

Lacroix-Ndicka would be a lovely pairing to build a spine around for years to come but no premier League experience at CB would be highly unlikely 

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Scenes if Targett decides to stay to fight for the LB position.

Would you guys be fine with Guilbert staying on to rotate with Cash, then KKH going out on loan to a championship side and us signing Hickey if Targett leaves?

Yeah I think a lot of us would take that, but suspect Targett and Guilbert will not

• Like 1