Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely forgot about that.

We've dropped some serious clangers over the years! ( Edit: I know what you probably want to say now.... don't say it mate 😂 )

Leave Nyland alone 😉😂

• Haha 1

More than willing to see how it plays out rather than being a complete negative Nancy, but I do get worrying vibes that we're just going to roll with Gerrard throwing the squad under the bus and none of the coaching apparently be an issue, and see some signings such as those mooted that make you wonder what the point of Lange or the move towards a "data-based approach" even is.

• Like 1

Weirdly I think the SG’s hardest decisions will be around the players already in the building. Take right back for example. Cash is clearly first choice there. But with KKH and Guilbert coming back from strong loans who stays and the who goes? Similar issue at LB with Targett returning and a decent understudy in Christene coming through. 

There is no point in having fantastic youth if you don’t give them chances. Look at this season, JJ’s had on some faith from the the last two management teams! We could see breakthrough seasons next year from Tim, Chuk, Archer, etc but they need time on the pitch. I really hope we don’t go and bring in 5+ new signings to move us forward. 2-3 really good signing will change this group (Martinez type signings)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Weirdly I think the SG’s hardest decisions will be around the players already in the building. Take right back for example. Cash is clearly first choice there. But with KKH and Guilbert coming back from strong loans who stays and the who goes? Similar issue at LB with Targett returning and a decent understudy in Christene coming through. 

There is no point in having fantastic youth if you don’t give them chances. Look at this season, JJ’s had on some faith from the the last two management teams! We could see breakthrough seasons next year from Tim, Chuk, Archer, etc but they need time on the pitch. I really hope we don’t go and bring in 5+ new signings to move us forward. 2-3 really good signing will change this group (Martinez type signings)

KKH stays, he's younger and probably won't mind sitting on the bench and coming on if needed or get a few games if Cash is injured or suspended.  Guilbert is having a really great season in Ligue 1, he likely won't want to sit on the bench behind Cash.  And Strasbourg will be in Europe next season so we could sell to them or another Ligue 1 club.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Who do we think is going to be sold this summer?, could we realistically see 10+ players outgoing?

image.png.7b14678dd5612dc0db1930f8a2468dc4.png

Could be 70-100m depending on who is sold?, add another 100m from our own kitty, and that 170m-200m to spend on players?

What about Bailey & Sanson? (they dont seem to be getting much of a look in...)

i dont think we sell luiz and we only bring in 1 midfielder 

i thought young had been offered an extension? and id be happy if the club did the same as what we have now at keeper, get olsen on loan for the year or someone else of that ilk, just loan them, its not a competition martinez will start

also think the numbers for new players in will be higher, we will break our transfer record

random guess - traore will end up out on loan rather than being sold, not because of a villa decision but because of his injury record no one will take a punt on him so loan is our only option

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think we sell luiz and we only bring in 1 midfielder 

i thought young had been offered an extension? and id be happy if the club did the same as what we have now at keeper, get olsen on loan for the year or someone else of that ilk, just loan them, its not a competition martinez will start

also think the numbers for new players in will be higher, we will break our transfer record

random guess - traore will end up out on loan rather than being sold, not because of a villa decision but because of his injury record no one will take a punt on him so loan is our only option

I read somewhere that loans are better for FFP, as they don't count as a loss or something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think both are better than what we have

Yeah I agree. Gomez is a top centre half (terrible injury record recently) and Bissouma would walk into almost a very club pushing for the CL. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Based on konsas form I'm starting to think the same with gomez 

But he's not a £20m+ player, we could be the next team buying their reserves to have our pants pulled down by them and for that reason I hope we go nowhere near, bar a loan with an option to buy I don't see a deal to be done with them where villa come away better 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Based on konsas form I'm starting to think the same with gomez 

But he's not a £20m+ player, we could be the next team buying their reserves to have our pants pulled down by them and for that reason I hope we go nowhere near, bar a loan with an option to buy I don't see a deal to be done with them where villa come away better 

I think gomez is under rated here. He was godo for plop before his injuries. They ahve some top cbs at liverpool so no shame in him not being able to get in that team.

Konsa for me, is finished here. Sorry but he just doesn't seem to have that mental toughness to take us next level. He has two reds, been at fault for various goals this season. His performance on saturday was patehtic. Mings makes mistakes but at least he doesnt hide away from that. Also he has leadership qualities. I see no leadership in konsa.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think gomez is under rated here. He was godo for plop before his injuries. They ahve some top cbs at liverpool so no shame in him not being able to get in that team.

Konsa for me, is finished here. Sorry but he just doesn't seem to have that mental toughness to take us next level. He has two reds, been at fault for various goals this season. His performance on saturday was patehtic. Mings makes mistakes but at least he doesnt hide away from that. Also he has leadership qualities. I see no leadership in konsa.

His injury was in 2018 though

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think gomez is under rated here. He was godo for plop before his injuries.

thats why

liverpool will cut their losses with him because his body is done, they'll replace his role of 4th or 5th choice with a kid or nat phiillips whilst taking someone for too much money for gomez

you know how we laugh about howe taking ibe and the other one for silly money or sheffield taking brewster for £20m? gomez will be even worse, wouldnt surprise me if liverpool expected his transfer value to start with a 3

• Like 1

To be fair Gomez isn't exactly in the Brewster or Ibe category considering they had barely played any minutes for Liverpool and were completely unproven, he on the other hand was starting and playing excellently for a side that accrued some of the highest points tallies in the history of the Premier League. 

His injury record is of course of huge concern though and would probably render it not worth the risk. It's a shame because he'd probably comfortably be Villa's best CB otherwise, then again if not for it the possibility of signing him wouldn't even be a point of conversation. 

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

As long as we sign two new CBs and have one as extra back-up for Gomez it could work.

Seriously I don’t see the point. If you have a choice, why go for someone so likely to have problems?

May as well just spend a bit more and get someone with no injury issues.  He'd cost a lot but Fikayo Tomori would be an instant upgrade if we are prepared to break the bank for a defender.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Better than Chambers/Hause or better than Mings/Konsa?

For me, he clearly would've been our best CB 2ish years ago before the injury and very young still able to develop into a top class CB. The jury (given his game time) since injury, is more out.

He'd have been great to bring in instead of Chambers, or to replace Hause. We'd have 4 decent CBs. But signing Chambers, extending Hause and then losing one of Konsa/Mings to bring in an unknown in Gomez would be a risk.

It may well work out. If we get the Gomez of a few years back with an older, wiser head on his shoulders, it could be superb for us. But a gamble.

As we've already signed Chambers and extended Hause. If we're going to replace Mings/Konsa it needs to be a standout, clear starter and leader as Mings is our only leader in outfield positions at the moment

Edited by HalfTimePost

Call me an optimist but i'm fairly positive about the summer. Whilst recent results haven't been great I do think we have a nucleus of a good team for the first time since we got promoted. This means the summer is a bit more evolution vs. revolution. Adding a top quality DM, CB and Striker really transforms this team IMO and elevates us to the next level. I think we play really good stuff....apart from in both boxes currently! Make Coutinho & Olsen perm, sign Bissouma, Bring in Gomes, Striker - TBC needs to be a lethal finisher.

We can also sell players that aren't of top half standard, good players for sure, but not of the standard of where we want to get to. Luiz - 30m, Watkins - 25-30m, Targett - 10-15m, Konsa - 20m, Traore - 15m, Davis - £8m etc.

I'd keep Young and Ings if only to mentor the youth players + add experience.

FWIW I'd sell McGinn if we got a 40m+ offer and brought in Phillips.

Bailey and Buendia fantastic rotation options, i'd bring some youngsters through for the bench beyond this: Archer, Chuk (if he's signed a new contract), KKH. Iroegbunam to go on loan

We have a great youth system and a decent team. I dont think we're far away from finishing top 8 next season if we're smart. 

• Like 2