Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Apart from Digne for £25M (which could be argued that his value was justified, as he was labelled as the best left back outside the 'Big 6'), we've signed Chambers for Free and Coutinho and Olsen on loan.

Doesn't seem to me like we are panic buying and overpaying. 

Considering we paid close to £15m for Targett, the Digne fee is anything but very reasonable for the quality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Apart from Digne for £25M (which could be argued that his value was justified, as he was labelled as the best left back outside the 'Big 6'), we've signed Chambers for Free and Coutinho and Olsen on loan.

Doesn't seem to me like we are panic buying and overpaying. 

Nor me

I think we are a year or two years ahead of Newcastle right now, apart from guimares who of their signings will still be there when they compete for top 6? None imo

they've bought players for where they are, we've bought players for where we are, the next step is to expand the wage structure and to add some bigger names and values, to go from a £15m LB to a £25m one, that's the natural progression climbing up the league 

In 2 years time Newcastle will do the exact same thing with Targett

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he would thrive personally with couts  buendia/bailey. 

He is more of a presence in the box than ollie is too.

I think 60m for tammy would be worth it. He is still not that old. Id love him back.

I think we might cash in on traore too. Has rarely featured. Id keep him though as a good option that offers something different 

A minimum of 60m for a striker who is 7 goals behind the topscorers in serie A and personal record amount of goals in a single season in the premier league is 15 goals for chelsea (in the same season that Ings managed 22 for Southampton), would honestly, imo, be probably the most ridiculous fee in the history of football. 

Abraham's record of 1 in 3 in all competetions is decent for chelsea, keep in mind that he will have gotten around 2-3x the amount of chances for them, that he would with us. Also he mainly only contributes in goals, his overall play is limited. 

We could compare him with Lukaku, who was signed from the serie A last season, he managed 23 and 24 goals respectively, proven world class and contributes in more that just goals. He cost around 90m and is flopping hard. Lukaku record in serie A is better than each season in the premier league, bar one. What I'm trying to say is that serie A is at a lower level than the prem. What was the last striker that scored similar levels of goals in the premier league, after coming from the serie A´. 

It's also worth considering that Abraham's price would be around 2x our transfer record. He plays in a position we are absolutely not desperate for reinforcements for, as we already have two premier league standard players there. And signing Abraham for 60m, would limit what we could strengthen other areas in on the pitch, which we are much more desperate for. 

Finally, it was rumored that he turned us down last summmer. 

I would be flabbergasted and disgusted if we tried to sign Abraham for anywhere near that amount. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Nothing suggests that’s true - a left back was a long target and Digne became available so it was a no brainer. 

The sale of Grealish fundamentally changed the team - we were going to have a big spend because of it. 

None of it suggests reactionary. Chambers is an example of very shrewd business. 

You’re right about January, even though the main players signed were on high wages they seemed like smart business.

The worries are more based on quotes from Purslow and Gerrard about age profile, big investments coming, wanting proven players and so on.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

You’re right about January, even though the main players signed were on high wages they seemed like smart business.

The worries are more based on quotes from Purslow and Gerrard about age profile, big investments coming, wanting proven players and so on.

I agree. The last thing we want is MON - caution is sensible. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - but they put a lot of pressure on themselves to deliver. That includes Purslow. It’s exciting but it comes with some nervous energy for sure. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

They spent close to £50m on that midfielder from Lyon and his game time isn’t exactly justifying the tag. 

Guimaraes is a top player, will prove to be a good deal. A bit like a bigger and stronger Douglas Luiz, someone who can win the ball, keep it even if pressed and distribute it.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Apparently he's earning 260k a week at Brentford though. That's more than double our highest earner.

Apart from Coutinho

But that sounds insane considering his health when he signed 

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Apparently he's earning 260k a week at Brentford though.

I'm not doubting you, but I find that astonishing. This is a guy that technically died on the pitch 8 months ago and couldn't get insurance to play at his last club. If he's commanding those type of wages his agent is a genius.

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I agree. The last thing we want is MON - caution is sensible. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - but they put a lot of pressure on themselves to deliver. That includes Purslow. It’s exciting but it comes with some nervous energy for sure. 

We need to find a balance between proven winners and diamonds in the rough.  SG is right in that we need to sign some proven winners to integrate in the team and hopefully change the mindset of some of the players.  We can't just sign 11 unproven players and hope they turn good in a few seasons.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We need to find a balance between proven winners and diamonds in the rough.  SG is right in that we need to sign some proven winners to integrate in the team and hopefully change the mindset of some of the players.  We can't just sign 11 unproven players and hope they turn good in a few seasons.

From what I can make out, the desire to add older players to the squad may well be to actually increase the pathway options from the academy. It's easier to integrate kids with experienced players than it is with inexperienced, or unreliable ones.

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Apparently he's earning 260k a week at Brentford though.

That was his Inter contract, cant imagine Brentford paying all of that unless they agreed it with Inter in his payoff

Edited by Zatman

Just now, Zatman said:

That was his Inter contract, cant imagine Brentford paying all of that unless they agreed it with Inter in his payoff

I think his Inter contract was just torn up on the basis he wasn't allowed to play

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

I think his Inter contract was just torn up on the basis he wasn't allowed to play

I think they would have still had to pay him up so I imagine Brentford just took it over and just signing a 6 months deal gives inter some savings

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think they would have still had to pay him up so I imagine Brentford just took it over and just signing a 6 months deal gives inter some savings

Possibly, but surely Inter's insurance would've covered any pay-off to terminate the contract?

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If Chelsea's embargo is lifted and for whatever reason they are shifting players.. for the love of God sign Gallagher.

He's good but don't think we need him. We have Ramsey who is younger and has as high a ceiling. Plus it would prove Carneys point that we're more likely to just buy than promote players through.

Ramsey/Carney/Aaron Ramsey are all promising attacking midfielders and Gallagher would stunt their development.

Not to mention Luiz, McGinn and Sanson are all 8s too. We just don't have a need there unless we sell one or two. Very good player though, would like him and he'd suit Gerrard brilliantly.

Do think there'd be a touch of Gerrard-Lampard not being able to play together if we had both Ramsey and Gallagher in the same team too.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

They spent close to £50m on that midfielder from Lyon and his game time isn’t exactly justifying the tag. 

They've managed to get a coup player, go from relegation certainties to virtually safe and bed him in sensibly.

Good business to me, he's starting to get more starts and he'll be very important for them going forwards

Martinez, Cash, Digne, Ramsey, Coutinho and Chambers - I'd say they're the players who are safe in the squad. I'd say Buendia probably is too in that he is playing well just the system tweaks being against him atm.