Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I think we need to find a way to get our best attacking talent on the field, whilst also giving adequate protection in midfield.

The dream is Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey behind a striker, and in order to do this we’d need two dominant, strong defensive midfielders in midfield. Realistically, and it pains me to say this as I like all of our midfielders, none of them are good enough to do this role if we are to get in to the top 6.

Signing Phillips and Bissouma would be an excellent summer in this regard. It may well be greedy, and expensive, and possibly not realistic, but with those sat in our midfield we’d have the ball a lot more to give our quality attackers more opportunities to create and score. 

If the scouts find a gem abroad meaning we only sign one of the above, then fine, but I’d also be happy with the vast majority of the budget being spent on those two positions in the team. West Ham have shown how important it is to have a midfield two that can be regularly relied upon to allow the rest of the talent to do its thing. Soucek isn’t even that good, in my opinion, so if we were to have two players just below Rice’s ability, in a similar formation to them, we’d be a remarkably better outfit. 

I can’t see it happening though, Gerrard prefers different formations, but no matter what formation we play, I believe we need two top quality (or as good as we can get) midfielders of that ilk, which give more protection to the defence. 

I like McGinn and Douglas Luiz, and am gutted we haven’t seen more of Sanson so far, but if we sold them all to buy Phillips and Bissouma (plus an additional £30m probably?) then that would be a very successful summer. We’re not going anywhere quickly with our midfield I’m afraid. I like them all, and they’ve been a huge reason why we’re in this league, but we can’t be sentimental. 

Who do we play if bissouma and phillips get injured if we sell doug, mcginn and sanson?

• Like 1

I wouldn't let McGinn leave unless a very tempting offer came in for him.
Luiz and Sanson however, will probably be moved on and that will free up space for a couple of new midfielders. I also think Irroegbunam will go out on loan.

Two new midfielders is an absolute priority in the Summer.

• Like 1

Of the midfielders we have, Doug and Ramsey are the ones I'd fight to keep - if we can get Phillips, I'd let Nakamba go and if possible try to persuade either or both of McGinn or Sanson to hang on for rotation along with Iroegbanum - I'd like us to have two for each spot.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I was right in the summer…………just saying!

Whatever about the merits of whether or not Villa should have signed him, but I've found some of the stick he's gotten on here before to be bizarre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Whatever about the merits of whether or not Villa should have signed him, but I've found some of the stick he's gotten on here before to be bizarre.

We would score more with him upfront 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wouldn't let McGinn leave unless a very tempting offer came in for him.
Luiz and Sanson however, will probably be moved on and that will free up space for a couple of new midfielders. I also think Irroegbunam will go out on loan.

Two new midfielders is an absolute priority in the Summer.

I would let him go for 40m no question about it.

He isn't improving, we can do better now and he is getting to the age where his value drops based on it.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Doesn't make sense, everybody keeps telling me Mourinho only knows how to improve defensive players 

FWIW he misses a lot of big chances at Roma still and wouldn't get nearly as many here. I be interested in comparing his shots to game with Ings 

I agree he misses a few but his movement alone allows midfielders to create plenty of chances. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I agree he misses a few but his movement alone allows midfielders to create plenty of chances. 

Its actually one of his strengths, most would give up if kept missing 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Value for money have been good or even very good for the players signed 2019 and 2020. Last summer however doesn’t look good in retrospect.

Not when you play them out of position

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Who do we play if bissouma and phillips get injured if we sell doug, mcginn and sanson?

Still got Nakamba, why sell Sanson if you sell the other two?......

At this rate we are going to have to sell Douglas as he has a year left and McGinn is only going for a decent fee or not at all in this scenario..... 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

He gets into the box for the ball something Ollie consistently doesn't do.... drives me mad

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Still got Nakamba, why sell Sanson if you sell the other two?......

At this rate we are going to have to sell Douglas as he has a year left and McGinn is only going for a decent fee or not at all in this scenario..... 

My question was in response to the OP saying we sell doug, mcginn and sanson to cover the phillips and bissouma transfers. Just think it would leave us very light - esp with phillips injury record

Villa won't stockpile players.  Bringing in both Bissouma and Phillips, whilst a really good idea, will mean that Nakamba goes as we also have new contract Tim Iroegbunam too.  McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Buendia can all play further forward, even if we don't sign Coutinho, which I sincerely hope we do if we are to sign two excellent central midfielders like Bissouma and Phillips.  With Digne and Cash getting forward at every opportunity, we would have some real quality both offensively and defensively. 

If we sign Bissouma and Phillips we will go down the table. One is an average arrogant donkey and the other is a one season clogger

Be like when we had Reo Coker and Sidwell in midfield 

image.thumb.png.66078a2efc4219f1b04151e4d6a75509.png

Ins- Bisouma (25mil), Phillips (50 mil), Coutinho (30 mil) Olsen( 5mil) = 110 Million
Outs- Luiz (20mil), Davis (8mil) El Ghazi (5mil), Trezeguet (5mil), Troare (10mil), Chukwuemeka(10 mil),  = 60 mil
News- Konsa changes his name to Konda due to personal reasons. Villa decide to adopt a more purple looking kit. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

image.thumb.png.66078a2efc4219f1b04151e4d6a75509.png

Ins- Bisouma (25mil), Phillips (50 mil), Coutinho (30 mil) Olsen( 5mil) = 110 Million
Outs- Luiz (20mil), Davis (8mil) El Ghazi (5mil), Trezeguet (5mil), Troare (10mil), Chukwuemeka(10 mil),  = 60 mil
News- Konsa changes his name to Konda due to personal reasons. Villa decide to adopt a more purple looking kit. 

You do know Gerrard doesn't play wide players an paying 75 million for Phillips and Bissouma is worrying 

I probably prefer Jedinak and Whelan........... Now

6 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Nakamba probably did enough in Gerrard's early weeks to get a new deal so he'll stay as back up you'd suspect.

I can't see us seeing both, with crazy prem prices you're talking 100m and they're not that good so will be either. Or neither.

Edited by VillaChris

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You do know Gerrard doesn't play wide players an paying 75 million for Phillips and Bissouma is worrying 

I probably prefer Jedinak and Whelan........... Now

Gerrard can play other systems you know. 
The system he is playing now doesn't work and is boring

• Thanks 1