Boubacar Kamara

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Yep. We need a DM that is also a proper defender. Which is why Kamara is my ideal choice. He also plays centre back. For me if Gerrard wants his fullback to play as wing backs, then he needs a DM that will drop into to defence to make a 3 when defending (halfback).  This would mean we have plenty of width, while having enough support in the middle, and will help us against the high press as we have move passing options, as well as cover. 

It's also why Bissouma or a box to box like him that plays with tactical discipline and offers real physicality as well as being able to play DM is also ideal. This way when the DM drops into defence, he can drop into DM. Also can play DM if  other is unavailable.

I have to bow, to your greater knowledge on foreign players....I agree with your thinking, in the ideal world, I would sign 2 with slightly different emphasis, but still defensive minded capability in their make up.

I can't quote players to fill those roles, because I don't know enough about them, only snippets here and there.....I am hoping the scouts, can get this right.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has been at Inter, Valencia, Monaco, Sevilla when he was younger. He only seemed to stay at Valencia for more than a couple of seasons

He has big game experience and is just gone 29. I wouldnt write him off but would prefer Kamara of the two for long and short term

He left Monaco too soon. He struggled to settle after leaving Monaco (where he was tipped as the next big thing). Wasn't until Valencia that he got back on track. He seems to have learnt how to adapt, but he has been in spain over 5 seasons now, so he may take time to adapt if he had to adapt to a new league as well as club. He would be a bit risky, but there is a quality player there if it works out. Kamara is young and still developing, he isn't at Kondogbia's level yet. But is only 22 and has a big future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I have to bow, to your greater knowledge on foreign players....I agree with your thinking, in the ideal world, I would sign 2 with slightly different emphasis, but still defensive minded capability in their make up.

I can't quote players to fill those roles, because I don't know enough about them, only snippets here and there.....I am hoping the scouts, can get this right.

I haven't watched a lot of Kamara, but i know he is 6 foot tall, is a natural at Centre back as well as DM. 21 or 22. A real talent.

I think the club are going to go all out and sign Phillips and Kamara as our two new midfielders. 

We’d be a much better team than we are now if that was the only business we did this Summer (provided we also sign Coutinho).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

In the summer transfer thread i posted a long winded run down of the business i believe we need to do in the summer. Kamara and Bissouma are 2 out of 5 players i believe we need and the other 3 i don't have a clue who might be suitable. We all have knowledge and we all have gaps in our knowledge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the club are going to go all out and sign Phillips and Kamara as our two new midfielders. 

We’d be a much better team than we are now if that was the only business we did this Summer (provided we also sign Coutinho).

To me Phillips and Bissouma have similar games (only bissouma is bigger), so Phillips is a good alternative. Problem is he will cost serious money, and he does have some injury issues.

13 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I haven't watched a lot of Kamara, but i know he is 6 foot tall, is a natural at Centre back as well as DM. 21 or 22. A real talent.

6' feet.....he's in for starters.

just kidding.....in part.

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

In the summer transfer thread i posted a long winded run down of the business i believe we need to do in the summer. Kamara and Bissouma are 2 out of 5 players i believe we need and the other 3 i don't have a clue who might be suitable. We all have knowledge and we all have gaps in our knowledge.

I think you are definately on the right lines.

17 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

To me Phillips and Bissouma have similar games (only bissouma is bigger), so Phillips is a good alternative. Problem is he will cost serious money, and he does have some injury issues.

I am not a big fan of spending huge sums.....I always think there are plenty of examples of players who have been bought modestly and developed in to big names.

I accept paying huge sums circumnavigates the risk factor somewhat, but there are still examples of huge transfers not living up to their billing.

There are so many factors, age, Fee, wages, injuries, suspensions, attitude, mentality...and so on.....getting the right players is not easy and the higher you ascend the harder it gets.....I look at Liverpool in particular and marvel at their recruitment,  £35 mill for Luis Diaz, £40 mill for Jota.....sure they come in to a well oiled machine, but nevertheless shrewd signings.

If we can emulate a bit of that, with Boubacar Kamara, Bissouma or Phillips, we'll be fine

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not a big fan of spending huge sums.....I always think there are plenty of examples of players who have been bought modestly and developed in to big names.

I accept paying huge sums circumnavigates the risk factor somewhat, but there are still examples of huge transfers not living up to their billing.

There are so many factors, age, Fee, wages, injuries, suspensions, attitude, mentality...and so on.....getting the right players is not easy and the higher you ascend the harder it gets.....I look at Liverpool in particular and marvel at their recruitment,  £35 mill for Luis Diaz, £40 mill for Jota.....sure they come in to a well oiled machine, but nevertheless shrewd signings.

If we can emulate a bit of that, with Boubacar Kamara, Bissouma or Phillips, we'll be fine

there is lots of value to be had. The problem is most of that gets hoovered up by the 'top' clubs. If Villa wanted Jota we would have had to pay more, but when the champions come in for you, Wolves were always going to lose that battle. Zakira 7m went to Juve. Man City got Ferran Torres for 20m. Locatelli went for 30m.

We need champions league football to get the best talents at fair prices, or spent huge sums on fees and wages. The remaining talents at good prices, usual represent a higher risk, which is why they fell through the cracks.

The scouting has to be on point. You also need to have a settled style where everyone knows what they're doing.

What Villa are trying to do is swimming against the current through river rapids. Money has to be thrown at it! But if the scouting and management at all levels isn't right we are bound for failure.

My main concern about Gerrard is that he is trying to play winning football, with a mediocre squad. If we don't get the business right this summer he will probably fail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

there is lots of value to be had. The problem is most of that gets hoovered up by the 'top' clubs. If Villa wanted Jota we would have had to pay more, but when the champions come in for you, Wolves were always going to lose that battle. Zakira 7m went to Juve. Man City got Ferran Torres for 20m. Locatelli went for 30m.

We need champions league football to get the best talents at fair prices, or spent huge sums on fees and wages. The remaining talents at good prices, usual represent a higher risk, which is why they fell through the cracks.

The scouting has to be on point. You also need to have a settled style where everyone knows what they're doing.

What Villa are trying to do is swimming against the current through river rapids. Money has to be thrown at it! But if the scouting and management at all levels isn't right we are bound for failure.

My main concern about Gerrard is that he is trying to play winning football, with a mediocre squad. If we don't get the business right this summer he will probably fail.

All that makes sense to me.

I think you last line is particularly poignant, and well articulated...I think you are bang on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Going to Athletico it seems

can only see it in the sun

could be a smoke screen as part of negotiations (agents gonna agent) whereas our interest based on the 3 of them going to see Marseille does seem very genuine

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes. The club has developed a habit of going all out for players who are highly unlikely to want to join us. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Yes. The club has developed a habit of going all out for players who are highly unlikely to want to join us. 

with then the media exaggerating how much effort we probably put in on those targets

when you see things like "we spent all summer chasing ESR and JWP" did we really though? Lange and Purslow working 40 hour weeks with 90% of it chasing those 2? not likely is it, there will be a lot of plate spinning, got no problem with it personally

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

This reeks of the latest forlorn saga.

Possibly, but the advantage of going after a sought-after talent on an expiring contract is that he'll be signing somewhere within days of his contract expiring at the end of the season - and it'll probably actually be sorted before the season is up as he can already speak to foreign clubs.

It's not like he has 2 years left and we could chase and chase it all summer. It'll be done before the window opens one way or another and we can move on if he goes elsewhere. 

I was as frustrated as anyone with the ESR and JWP waste of time in the summer.. but this isn't really the same. Can't really hurt us to give it a good crack

• Like 1

Â