Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree with a lot in this post, especially how hard it will be to find somebody to play second fiddle to Martinez (Not sure about the part where you mention Olsen being a good Championship keeper).

However, we need to be pragmatic here. The club must understand that Olsen will cost us points/cups if he plays therefore it's unfortunately a must fix situation. And we will fix it. 

Olsen has had 9 months or so with Unai and the coaching team, and is fully integrated from a training perspective into our style of play. 

The problem we have is that people are comparing the drop off in quality to Martinez. What we should be looking at is the difference between the current understudy, who's settled in his role, and any potential replacement that would come to the club knowing they'd rarely play. That person is not going to be Martinez quality either, and will also cost us points (like any non-elite keeper), and will also cost us money to bring in.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Good shout on the old keeper as a backup. A bit TOO old now but a keeper like Reina was in 2020 would be good. Probably a bit expensive for a bench warmer though and even Navas at Forest wanted to play every game.

De Gea?

The Athletic just released a podcast about the fact you cannot have 2 first choice keepers. 

The only club in English football right now that's decided we need someone worse than Martinez but better than Olsen to sit on our bench 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Has Emi just set the bar that high, That Olsen looks worse than he is.

just asking?

No. 17 goals conceded for us in 7 games, including two to Stevenage. Just about every time he plays the defence shit themselves. He's woeful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

No. 17 goals conceded for us in 7 games, including two to Stevenage. Just about every time he plays the defence shit themselves. He's woeful.

Surely the defense has to take some of the blame then?  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Has Emi just set the bar that high, That Olsen looks worse than he is.

just asking?

I don't think so...

It could be that the defence are so used to having a world class Emi behind them, that when they have a not very good Olsen they get even more nervy than they would if the step down was from a lower level gk than Emi.

But fundamentally, that only happens because he really isn't that good.

The biggest issue is his complete inability on the ball. It shows no sign of having improved this pre season, and means we have to abandon our way of playing if he starts. 

It does seem that the management have more confidence in him than most of us though...

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, Risso said:

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Surely the defense has to take some of the blame then?  

Some of both, probably. The only legit reason I see for keeping Olsen at Villa is the role he plays warming up our players (including Martinez) and being a familiar presence in training, qualities I feel are often underestimated. You want someone in training who provides a real challenge but is also beatable, and he's that. I think he has a great rapport with the squad, too. They like him. That's not nothing.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

It is nothing. He's not paid to sit around and be everybody's friend, there are plenty of nice blokes in the squad.

Not that simple, obviously. He's a friend who can guard the goal pretty damn well. But worth keeping at Villa? I don't know. Ashley Young was that, too, and there just wasn't room for him in the new Villa.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Is he a competent short term solution, say 5-6 games, if Emi gets injured?  Sadly I think not.  However which teams do have a competent backup keeper?  If we are serious with the cups then he cannot be considered for selection?  This is one where I really am placing my faith in Unai.

Â