Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Let's be honest, he was coup for us at the time, but as his injury record has shown there was a reason none of the "bigger" clubs went near him and he signed for us. Clearly talented but his body can't cope with top level sport and the demands that go with it. 

Hopefully, we recoup most of what we paid and his wages off the books. 

Appreciate taking the paycut to join and a shame it didn't work out. 

I wish him well.

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Was under the impression that the sell on fee was 50% of whatever we received, not 50% above 20m euros.

If we recoup all of the fee then that’s a little bonus I hadn’t expected.

No particularly strong feeling either way with Phil, a bit like Digne (although I’d sooner keep Lucas). Hasn’t really worked out and I dare say he’s probably as frustrated as most are by that. Seems like a good egg so if this is it, wish him all the best.

I doubt there are many who know for sure outside of the club and the agents. To me 50% of everything seems ridiculously high, whereas 50% of the profit is still high but reasonable considering they reportedly knocked €10m off the previously agreed price. But who knows what the club agreed to, Purslow and Gerrard and co were  probably excited thinking they were joining the big boy club buying a player off Barcelona 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it was a signing 100% worth taking a punt on, putting hindsight aside: it was a medium risk for a possibly very high reward deal for a player we absolutely shouldn't have been able to sign. Didn't work out on the footballing front, yet as aforementioned did help elevate our reputation off the pitch. Wish him the best

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I doubt there are many who know for sure outside of the club and the agents. To me 50% of everything seems ridiculously high, whereas 50% of the profit is still high but reasonable considering they reportedly knocked €10m off the previously agreed price. But who knows what the club agreed to, Purslow and Gerrard and co were  probably excited thinking they were joining the big boy club buying a player off Barcelona 

Following in the hallowed footsteps of Tim Sherwood  and Randy Lerner

On 21/08/2023 at 18:58, TRO said:

I have been posting on here for too many years to remember, and anyone who knows my stance, will know I embrace the physicality of the game, when its applied fairly....but I have to say, this trait of pushing in the back with the hands or arms, is beyond me....and it should be beyond football.

It seems to me like it has become discretionary in the eyes of the officials.....How on earth can pushing as described, be acceptable?.....I simply don't accept, the argument, that they all do it.....its fouling.....its playing the man, and not the ball.

Phil Coutinho was the victim of such a foul action on Sunday. to such extent, he lost his footing and caused what could be a serious injury....He will be out again for some time, its all wrong...its threatening his livlihood.

Now, I am all for, calling out slight challenges, or going down too easy, but that was neither, it was a deliberate attempt to disrupt the players ability through ANY means possible and warranted at least a yellow card.

We are quite accustomed to lengthy injuries from fouling, even career threating in some cases....it has to stop.

These officials should do their job, and pushing from behind with hands or arms should be outlawed....Its simply refereeing incompetence.

It seems odd that pulling a player back is an automatic yellow card now - whereas a deliberate push rarely even results in a free-kick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Be interested to know if there is a fee.

Ultimately, it's his wages that are the problem, but I can't see us letting him go for free either. We do need to field a team every week...

Something around the £10m mark would be nice?

Would hope it allows us to at least break even in terms of FFP. He's  one year into a 4 year contract, we paid around £17m, so would we need to sell him for around £12.75m? I must admit, I'm  as knowledgeable about  FFP as Donald  Trump is about his weight

Fabrizio now confirming that a Qatari club are pushing for Phil and negotiations with him going well. Yet to start talks with Villa. 

Looks like this has got legs…..unlike our Phil 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Was under the impression that the sell on fee was 50% of whatever we received, not 50% above 20m euros.

We don’t know the details, obviously. But almost every sell on fee is actually on profit. It’s just to make sure they don’t feel they got their pants pulled down if he came to us for £17m, was world class and we flogged him for £40m. Obviously that hasn’t happened!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Brilliant news if true.

Well done to the club for offloading him and thanks to Courtinho for his small contribution with us.

His goals won't be forgotten and it's a shame his body is shot at this level. So long and farewell.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frodo said:

If this does happen that means with other out goings we're currently saving £200,000 + plus a week in wages 

And if Digne is offloaded then I'm sure that figure will rise close to £1,000,000 a week in wages!       🤑

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I bet the saudi club he is signing for is AL-_______ Insert any name here.😅

It's a Qatari club apparently, but I belive some do still have the Al prefx (as I know thanks to my own slip up)

Â