Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are a hindsight man aren't you.

They will be saying that about Gerrard, if he goes on a winnings streak.

Its hind-sight v foresight.

but have it your way.

Also, hindsight is based on things that have happened. Foresight is based on fantasy. So if I’m a hindsight man……

Edited by Ingram85

13 minutes ago, jim said:

Why not just put his total points tally since taking over? Or does that look slightly better or worse? 

Thought the year 2022 was a reasonable period to choose. 2021 was widely considered a fair period to judge from when discussing Smith and his form. I maintain and agree with that it was that whole period and not just the poor start that lead to him getting replaced.

We both know that we started pretty OK but have steadily gotten worse under Gerrard so the not sure why you're asking me to provide those numbers. But since you asked, according to Transfermarkt he has a points average of 1.18 over 33 games in the PL.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sne said:

Thought the year 2022 was a reasonable period to choose. 2021 was widely considered a fair period to judge from when discussing Smith and his form. I maintain and agree with that it was that whole period and not just the poor start that lead to him getting replaced.

We both know that we started pretty OK but have steadily gotten worse under Gerrard so the not sure why you're asking me to provide those numbers. But since you asked, according to Transfermarkt he has a points average of 1.18 over 33 games in the PL.

Wow. 44 points. That’s top half sorted, maybe even Europe. I sure am glad he’s shelved the pretty football he’s been treating us to. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These shit little cheap shots nullify points.

I highly doubt there are any " Gerrard fans " on here ffs  Well for Gerrard the Manager, anyway.

Mmmmm, I beg to differ. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to guess what NSWE will want from the next two games in order of preference (starting with the obvious 6 points) and whether they'll pull the plug on Gerrard before the next game on 2nd October.

6 points - stays

Draw Vs Leicester, win Vs Southampton (they'll prefer 3 points at Villa Park) - stays

Win Vs Leicester, draw Vs Southampton - stays

Loss Vs Leicester, win Vs Southampton - stays

Win Vs Leicester, loss Vs Southampton - not sure, probably stays

Draw, draw - really not sure but probably gone

1 or 0 points - surely gone!?

Not my opinion, just trying to guess where NSWE are at.

Edited by brommy
Removal of unnecessary blank lines at foot of post.

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

I'm trying to guess what NSWE will want from the next two games in order of preference (starting with the obvious 6 points) and whether they'll pull the plug on Gerrard before the next game on 2nd October.

6 points - stays

Draw Vs Leicester, win Vs Southampton (they'll prefer 3 points at Villa Park) - stays

Win Vs Leicester, draw Vs Southampton - stays

Loss Vs Leicester, win Vs Southampton - stays

Win Vs Leicester, loss Vs Southampton - not sure, probably stays

Draw, draw - really not sure but probably gone

1 or 0 points - surely gone!?

Not my opinion, just trying to guess where NSWE are at.

I think they'll be looking at it through a more critical and wide ranging lense than this.

For all we know, he might actually need 6 points just to keep his tenure.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jim said:

Why not just put his total points tally since taking over? Or does that look slightly better or worse? 

40 from 34. Still not good enough. Over a season that's just under 45 points which would have put us 15th last season (right below where we actually finished). Clear downward trend too so it's unlikely it ever will be good enough. Doesn't matter how you slice it really, it's just not good.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

40 from 34. Still not good enough. Over a season that's just under 45 points which would have put us 15th last season (right below where we actually finished). Clear downward trend too so it's unlikely it ever will be good enough. Doesn't matter how you slice it really, it's just not good.

Pedant alert, I make it 39 points from 33 games.

Still puts under 45 points across the season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think they'll be looking at it through a more critical and wide ranging lense than this.

For all we know, he might actually need 6 points just to keep his tenure.

Yep, purely guesswork, irrelevant to their decision. Not unlike much of this thread in that respect.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Pedant alert, I make it 39 points from 33 games.

Still puts under 45 points across the season.

Could have sworn that's where we stood before the City game. I just double checked and you're right. 39 from 33. That's the form that got Dean Smith sacked. Almost literally, it was 40 in his last 33 games.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If he can manage 2 defeats in his next 2 games he would have equalled Smiths record of his last 36 games.  He’ll be on his bike then.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Could have sworn that's where we stood before the City game. I just double checked and you're right. 39 from 33. That's the form that got Dean Smith sacked. Almost literally, it was 40 in his last 33 games.

I though Smiths was 40 in his last 36?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I though Smiths was 40 in his last 36?

I think it was 41 in his last 36. I used 33 games because that's all Gerrard has played so far. To your point, he'll need 2 points from the next 3 to equal that. Should be doable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it was 41 in his last 36. I used 33 games because that's all Gerrard has played so far. To your point, he'll need 2 points from the next 3 to equal that. Should be doable.

So I think we can maybe put to bed that he’s made us worse than we were with Smith even though it’s still nowhere near good enough. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he can manage 2 defeats in his next 2 games he would have equalled Smiths record of his last 36 games.  He’ll be on his bike then.

Yep would show Man. City was ultimate false dawn so you can't just keep giving him endless games and crossing fingers as likes of Leicester and Southampton are simply teams we need to be beating to have any chance of top 10. We won v both last season and finished 14th.

Was looking at all fixtures before world cup break and this imo is par for what he needs to be sure of keeping his job before the break:

Leicester away- draw. Would be o.k with that.

Southampton- win. Southampton are a tricky team but we battered them 4-0 comfortably with Coutinho running riot so he simply has to win here.

Leeds away- win. Won last two occasions up there, again a stroll from start to finish last time although March feels very long ago. And they're starting to dip after a good start.

Chelsea home- I actually think we could win this given how poor Chelsea look in away games but Gerrard seems to be happy not to lose in games v top 6/7 rather than risk so imagine he'll be o.k with a point.

Forest away- No idea given how many they've signed. And this will be lively atmosphere. Given they lost to Bournemouth at home we have to be looking for point at least here.

Fulham away- Would take a draw. They're miles better than previous versions in premier league.

Brentford home- win. Don't care what form they're in or if Toney has 20 goals in last 5 games before this we need to end this embarassing hoodoo they hold over us.

Newcastle away- defeat as our record is abysmal at SJP and I can't see it getting better anytime soon.

Man. United- win. Gerrard obviously gets us up for them a bit more than previous managers and we played fine in the two January games under him and deserved more so why the hell not...

Brighton away- We tend to match up o.k v their style and Gerrard has two wins out of two but fear a defeat here.

10 more league games before world cup then. Would be looking for another 15-16 points. That will only get us on 19-20 points by halfway stage so just shows the issues when you have poorer than expected start. I've probably got us winning some games above many on here won't expect us to aswell.

Shows the scale of the task and I still don't think he'll be up to it as par in my mind is 20 points after 16 games.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

My expectation pre seasons start was we would be winning / drawing all those games except Chelsea and Man U. Given our squad which I maintain is excellent I still think we should be going into all those games but two going for the win.

If Gerrard wants to play defensively till the second half when he brings on Phil & Emi thats fine by me. We looked solid against Man City.

• Like 1

Â