Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

The premier league pays the club around £2 million extra per position, so the difference between ending up at 17 or 12 is £10 million. That is a huge amount of money.

I am not sure what point you are making.  I am sure that Purslow et al know, just as I do, that there is a lot of money for each place u finish in the PL table

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We are Aston Villa and we have made a decision to try a rookie manager. Like it or not, that is what has happened and that is what Aston Villa decided to do

Yes Gerrard might only finish with 12 pts this season, but let's not sack him as he is learning the job 😂😂😂🤣🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We are Aston Villa and we have made a decision to try a rookie manager. Like it or not, that is what has happened and that is what Aston Villa decided to do

He is paid twice what we paid Smith, do not believe the board were aware that they hired a rookie manager. Hopefully they will soon rectify their horrible mistake.

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We will give him as much time as possible as it will cost us a huge amount of money to and replace him. It is not a boolean decision as many factors impact it. There will be no predetermined amount of games that will cost SG his job. 

I fear you're probably right

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure what point you are making.  I am sure that Purslow et al know, just as I do, that there is a lot of money for each place u finish in the PL table

The point is that for every match Gerrard is in charge it cost us a lot of money.

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

He is paid twice what we paid Smith, do not believe the board were aware that they hired a rookie manager. Hopefully they will soon rectify their horrible mistake.

So u don't believe the board knew they were employing a rookie manager??? 🤣

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

The point is that for every match Gerrard is in charge it cost us a lot of money.

All managers cost a lot of money and not just at Villa. Still not sure what point you are making other than stating the obvious

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't recall him saying that he would achieve that after 30 odd games. I am surprised he said that, I thought he was a smart guy. When did he say that, do you have a link?

From when he was sacked. Something about the 2021 form not being good enough, and we're going to bring in someone to improve that.

Found his statement:

“After a good start to last season, this year we have not seen the continuous improvement in results, performances and league position which we have all been looking for.

"For this reason we have decided to make a change now to allow time for a new head coach to make an impact."

It's been almost a year, and I have yet to see an impact. So far, our 2022 form is looking just as bad, if not worse than 2021 (26 points from 23 in 2022 vs 32 from 23 in the same period), without the mitigating circumstance of being without our best player for most of it.

Seemed like they couldn't abide by such poor form then, I don't see why they should now. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but it just seems different now. To be fair, there's still 8 games to go to reach the point Smith got sacked last season. That said, Gerrard will need to get at least 13 points from those 8 games to better the 2021 record which saw the previous manager be dismissed.

Again, this is not Smith vs Gerrard...but strictly looking at Purslow and the board, and their policy and vision for where they want us to be. I'm getting mixed signals there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

From when he was sacked. Something about the 2021 form not being good enough, and we're going to bring in someone to improve that.

Found his statement:

It's been almost a year, and I have yet to see an impact. So far, our 2022 form is looking just as bad, if not worse than 2021 (26 points from 23 in 2022 vs 32 from 23 in the same period), without the mitigating circumstance of being without our best player for most of it.

Seemed like they couldn't abide by such poor form then, I don't see why they should now. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but it just seems different now. To be fair, there's still 8 games to go to reach the point Smith got sacked last season. That said, Gerrard will need to get at least 13 points from those 8 games to better the 2021 record which saw the previous manager be dismissed.

Again, this is not Smith vs Gerrard...but strictly looking at Purslow and the board, and their policy and vision for where they want us to be. I'm getting mixed signals there.

I agree it is not Smith v Garrard but I still see nothing from your quotes to say SG should be getting Europe this season. I am happy to eat humble pie but I am confident I won't need to

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

All managers cost us a lot of money and not just as Villa. Still not sure what point you are making other than stating the obvious

I know it’s obvious that we need a new manager, but you know there are people that believe that the earth is flat, so it doesn’t hurt to state the facts once in a while.

Edited by viivvaa66

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

I know it’s obvious that we need a new manager, but you know there are people that believe that the earth is flat, so it doesn’t hurt to state the facts one in a while.

Nice twist on it, but the bottom line is neither u nor I know if SG will be successful or not. Currently SG is not doing himself any favours and it looks like he won't make it but as has been shown many times before, just because a manager doesn't get immediate success it doesn't mean he is not the right man. He has only had about 30 games as our gaffer, he is a rookie, we need to give him time to succeed or fail. 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Nice twist on it, but the bottom line is neither u nor I know if SG will be successful or not. Currently SG is not doing himself any favours and it looks like he won't make it but as has been shown many times before, just because a manager doesn't get immediate success it doesn't mean he is not the right man. He has only had about 30 games as our gaffer, he is a rookie, we need to give him time to succeed or fail. 

Why should we give him time to fail? We are not a charity or a work experience program

As a Gerrard Outer, it confuses me how we are sitting 10th in the table since Gerrard took over.

This dross i'm watching week in and out is enough to get 10th place? I mean if he can get it to click into places top 8 really isn't that out of the question!

Are we (I) being too harsh on Gerrard? 

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

Why should we give him time to fail? We are not a charity or a work experience program

I did say to give him time to succeed or fail but I guess the narrative doesn't like that, The reason we should give him time is because of the huge amount of money we invested in sacking Smith and employing SG and the huge amount of money it would cost to sack SG and replace him. I thought that was fairly obvious. 

Also, we have put the effort into bring SG into Villa and we should give it every opportunity to succeed. Again, I would have thought his was fairly obvious

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree it is not Smith v Garrard but I still see nothing from your quotes to say SG should be getting Europe this season. I am happy to eat humble pie but I am confident I won't need to

Not necessarily getting Europe, but at the very least challenging for 7th I'd imagine. That's also been the musings before the start of this season.

For reference, Dean Smith's 2021 form that saw him sacked was 38 points from 28 games. Over a season that's 51 points give or take which would have had us finish 9th or 10th last season depending on goal difference. They sacked him so that we could presumably improve on this, so that's 8th and up. To put it bluntly, I don't even see us getting 9th or 10th let alone 8th, not even close. With our rivals getting stronger, I'm not sure we have another year to waste crossing our fingers on this little excursion to be honest.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Not necessarily getting Europe, but at the very least challenging for 7th I'd imagine. That's also been the musings before the start of this season.

For reference, Dean Smith's 2021 form that saw him sacked was 38 points from 28 games. Over a season that's 51 points give or take which would have had us finish 9th or 10th last season depending on goal difference. They sacked him so that we could presumably improve on this, so that's 8th and up. To put it bluntly, I don't even see us getting 9th or 10th let alone 8th, not even close. With our rivals getting stronger, I'm not sure we have another year to waste crossing our fingers on this little excursion to be honest.

Well, the comment was specifically about Purslow saying about getting into Europe. But accepting that he didn't say that I do agree that he said we would be up there and pushing for Europe. After 3 games, W1 L2, I suspect it is a tad early to say we haven't met the goal of pushing for Europe. 

Â