Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

32 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What do people think the minimum amount of points needed between now and the international break for Gerrard to remain in the job? I’m not asking what you would want, but what you think the board require to be satisfied.

I know people have been vocal about seeing better performances, and improved performances should mean improved results. But ultimately results are the deal breaker.

West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Leicester (a), Southampton (h)

Over a season, we'd be looking for a 43% win rate which would be 49 points, plus a handful of draws to take us to 55 points. 

To achieve this, we need 10.3 points from the first 8 games (21% of the season). That means we need another 7-8 points from the next 5 matches. 

The owners and Purslow want 7th, so that's the trajectory they will be looking for. But they'll probably allow a dip for now, so as long as he gets another 5-6 points i think they'll let him carry on.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The issues we've been concerned about have become very obvious now. 

Yep, clear for all to see and not one sign of improvement/progress. No reasons for enthusiasm, excitement or optimism. It’s really all going to shit and we need to address that before too much damage is done…

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What do people think the minimum amount of points needed between now and the international break for Gerrard to remain in the job? I’m not asking what you would want, but what you think the board require to be satisfied.

I know people have been vocal about seeing better performances, and improved performances should mean improved results. But ultimately results are the deal breaker.

West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Leicester (a), Southampton (h)

I don’t like writing off games, but I’m not expecting much from Arsenal or Man City and I don’t think the board will either.

Six points, would that be enough? Would mean being on nine points after eight games. West Ham feels like a decisive match, as it feels like if we lose to an out of form side then go into those next two matches, it’s going to be brutal.

The way we are playing, sadly i can't see us winning any of those games.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Somehow I did all the way until a few days before they got sacked!

I think i've become less patient nowadays though as i can't see any way Gerrard can turn this around.

In the past you could always make allowances for the manager's hands being tied or being severely limited by circumstances outside their control (certainly applies for McCleish, Lambert, Sherwood even Bruce for some of his time here). Whereas Gerrard has had backing and resources that previous Villa managers could only have dreamed of, so really the blame for our current plight is his and his alone 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

In the past you could always make allowances for the manager's hands being tied or being severely limited by circumstances outside their control (certainly applies for McCleish, Lambert, Sherwood even Bruce for some of his time here). Whereas Gerrard has had backing and resources that previous Villa managers could only have dreamed of, so really the blame for our current plight is his and his alone 

Imagine a proper manager with that backing and those resources… everything is set up for the right man to succeed… everything is right away from the pitch… NO EXCUSES.

We are just shooting ourselves in the foot and wasting the opportunity to achieve something by sticking with this guy…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

pretty damning, and i dont think many would disagree.

I feel exactly the same… it’s so hard to feel positive.

We seem to have lost everything that was good about us under the previous manager…

The spirit, atmosphere, connection with fans was just… amazing. You felt pride and joy in supporting the club… there was a lot to enjoy and be happy about…

All seems to have been dismantled and to have disappeared… it’s just… sad really…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I feel exactly the same… it’s so hard to feel positive.

We seem to have lost everything that was good about us under the previous manager…

The spirit, atmosphere, connection with fans was just… amazing. You felt pride and joy in supporting the club… there was a lot to enjoy and be happy about…

All seems to have been dismantled and to have disappeared… it’s just… sad really…

This had long gone after the 5th defeat. I remember how toxic this place was.  

It was great under Smith the year we went up and for a few months during the covid year. The rest of the time the atmosphere wasn’t great at all. 

it is of course even worse now. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Different perspective from Pete " Can we...just...calm the f*ck down ? We're 3 weeks into a new season, and it's gone from zero to utter hysteria in 3 match days " etc . Very good and balanced watch to be fair, also goes a little into Dean Smith, the ramifications of sacking a Manager. Media and Fan noise in the UK , Purslow, the board etc.  Also has a little go at people questioning the owners.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dan Rolinson from Claret and Blue.

"I don't know if it's just me, but I feel very disengaged with the club at the moment"

Chucked away the guy that brought the fan base and the club back together after years and years of toxicity. And for things to just get worse.

Not surprised fans will start to feel like that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Wanting to lose to Bolton to sack Gerrard is not the most embarrassing thing I’ve read on Twitter. Taking a break from all this toxic negativity.  

Yeah this is crazy. 

I think I reached the point of just praying for the manager to go at any cost was after nearly 3 years of lambert. We're not anywhere near that point. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Chucked away the guy that brought the fan base and the club back together after years and years of toxicity. And for things to just get worse.

Not surprised fans will start to feel like that. 

i dont think it was wrong to part company with Deano, imo it was 100% the right thing to do.

The problem is we have employed the pound shop Klopp, and jumped out of the frying pan and in to the fire.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dan Rolinson from Claret and Blue.

"I don't know if it's just me, but I feel very disengaged with the club at the moment"

The football is terrible to watch, we aren't winning games, the manager is tactically inept, we don't look like we have a proper strategy for player recruitment and seem destined for a season in the bottom half of the table/relegation.

Apart from that what's there to be disengaged about?! 

• Haha 3

Gerrard is not surviving his football awful, tactics just selects his favourites he has well and truly wrecked his future employment because he is not upto the job.

Gerrard could well go the same way as Gary neville after valencia stint into the abyss.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Different perspective from Pete " Can we...just...calm the f*ck down ? We're 3 weeks into a new season, and it's gone from zero to utter hysteria in 3 match days " etc . Very good and balanced watch to be fair, also goes a little into Dean Smith, the ramifications of sacking a Manager. Media and Fan noise in the UK , Purslow, the board etc.  Also has a little go at people questioning the owners.

Can’t stand this guy Pete, never have!

Anyway it’s not just these games that we are judging him on and Jas’ stats above just shows how bad Gerrard is

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah this is crazy. 

I think I reached the point of just praying for the manager to go at any cost was after nearly 3 years of lambert. We're not anywhere near that point. 

Never want us to lose.  

I’m past the Lambert feelings with Gerrard on the barometer

Â