Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe, they can. Have you considered that?

They will make their move, when they think its right, if in fact, they move at all.

Did I say I hadn’t considered it?

But I’d like to know what the reasons are. Because I personally see none.

I’m entitled to my own view and entitled to be frustrated.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the big difference is Arsenal had a covid crisis and played Man City and Chelsea in the first 3 games. We’re at almost full strength and had a relatively ok start in terms of opponents. We really need to beat West Ham to get some confidence before Arsenal and City.

The other difference is that arteta had a plan and a process which required time and patience to get the right players in, which is now bearing fruit.

SG has no plan, he is winging it and loving being able to stare at opposition fans and feel the big man rather than actually do any coaching or have any clue on tactics.

He is the worst we have had in my lifetime (my first villa manager was big fat ron)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ditto...

But it was always inevitable.

Now if we go on a 5 game winning streak, can we double back to them and say, I told you so, that I told you so, before you told me so?

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Each to their own I guess, but I just want to see Villa win, honestly. 

We all want to see Villa win. That’s more important that anything.

The difference in opinion is just that many of us don’t believe we can (or often enough, to be successful) under this manager and that is the reason why we’re frustrated or angry.

I don’t get where all this “told you so” business is coming from…

I don’t give a shit about that, I just want us to do well and I don’t believe we can under SG. There’s enough time and evidence to support that. Where are the positives??

Do you really believe any of us would be upset if we actually went on a 5 game winning run and put in some amazing performances? That’s ridiculous.

We’d all be delighted but we just can’t see it, there is nothing to suggest that could ever happen… that’s the issue. That’s the concern.

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

The other difference is that arteta had a plan and a process which required time and patience to get the right players in, which is now bearing fruit.

SG has no plan, he is winging it and loving being able to stare at opposition fans and feel the big man rather than actually do any coaching or have any clue on tactics.

He is the worst we have had in my lifetime (my first villa manager was big fat ron)

Bold statement, given the Di Matteo, Mcleish and Bruce eras. 

For me, i'd say the worst manager in my time (also staring with BFR) would be Bruce or Mcleish. Biggest disappointment would be Lambert, as I maintain if he'd stuck to the attacking possession style he'd fostered at Norwich, we would have picked up, and been an exciting side. He went defensive under increasing pressure, and it fell apart.  

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Did I say I hadn’t considered it?

But I’d like to know what the reasons are. Because I personally see none.

I’m entitled to my own view and entitled to be frustrated.

Frustrated, we are all drowning in it.

but to keep, firing expletives at our manager, is not the answer either.

We know, you don't want him here......but while he is, we need to find some positive results....or would that spoil the agenda?

Your view, is crystal clear, and you might get your way......but my advice, FWIW is brace yourself for a scenario, where he might just turn it around.

Whatever the club choose to do, changing managers, is a disruptive process.

much better, if our fortunes are reversed.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Bold statement, given the Di Matteo, Mcleish and Bruce eras. 

For me, i'd say the worst manager in my time (also staring with BFR) would be Bruce or Mcleish. Biggest disappointment would be Lambert, as I maintain if he'd stuck to the attacking possession style he'd fostered at Norwich, we would have picked up, and been an exciting side. He went defensive under increasing pressure, and it fell apart.  

gerrard has lost the same number of games as mcleish in 8 fewer games played...he's going to comfortably lose more games than him

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The difference in opinion is just that many of us don’t believe we can (or often enough, to be successful) under this manager and that is the reason why we’re frustrated or angry.

I don’t give a shit about that, I just want us to do well and I don’t believe we can under SG. There’s enough time and evidence to support that. Where are the positives??

Do you really believe any of us would be upset if we actually went on a 5 game winning run and put in some amazing performances? That’s ridiculous.

We’d all be delighted but we just can’t see it, there is nothing to suggest that could ever happen… that’s the issue. That’s the concern.

Some would, yeah. 

Quote from the first page of this thread, from before a ball was kicked, or in-fact even before any press conferences:

"Gutted.

Sooner he's gone the better."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I hope not. That’s not what I said nor what I wish for.

But inevitably, it’s what ends up happening and is what forces the club’s hand if they don’t act any earlier. It’s nothing new.

As I said, I hope the owners act sooner than that… but who knows?

I have no hope in the manager and others have the same view or feeling so how do you expect us to react or feel?

There are more than enough reasons/causes and more than enough evidence to justify that… 

What is the point in criticising or instigating people who feel that way??

Again, if we are seeing crap performances and results… you can’t expect everyone to have smiles on their faces and to whoop and cheer can you?

No of course not I just don’t think venting  frustrations from the off is helping anyone even though I understand it. Of course if performance is anything like Saturday then it’s inevitable the fans will turn.

I reckon club are already well aware of fan frustrations .

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Of course mate, I'm just trying to make light of a grim looking situation, and see if I can conjure up some positive energy for a miracle tlike that to happen 🤣

I'm not really the " I told you so " type and don't really enjoy it either.

I remember on the Facebook groups, under Deano, it was a swinging pendulum of " Where are all the Smith haters now " whenever we got a result and " I told you he was out of his depth " when we lost  status update every other week.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We know, you don't want him here......but while he is, we need to find some positive results....or would that spoil the agenda?

Your view, is crystal clear, and you might get your way......but my advice, FWIW is brace yourself for a scenario, where he might just turn it around.

Agenda?

please STFU on that…

Expletives? Is that why I’m doing? Have I not explained my views and backed them up with any reasoning at all?!

You’ve already flip flopped on your views so don’t come in win the high and mighty approach.

I’ve already explained multiple times, I am frustrated because I cannot personally see any reason to have any faith or belief in this manager any more after so many poor performances and results.

I have never had an agenda… in fact I have waited and tried to be patient and see what SG could do… and it’s largely been very, very poor. And now, after this much hyped up “full preseason” and a run of relatively easy games - we have been absolutely atrocious. Why shouldn’t I feel the way I do?

Is there really any need to bring up all the facts, stats and reasoning all over again?

The reason why I want him gone now is because I am sick of what I have been seeing and how poor of a job he has been doing.

Don’t come to me with “agenda” again or tar me with the same brush as you have others…

I’d recommend responding with some actual fact based reasoning in terms of an opposing view rather than trying to talk someone down…

Look. I’d love to be wrong or proven wrong, that would delight me because it would mean the club I support is actually doing well. I can’t see it happening, there is nothing to suggest or indicate any form of turnaround. That is the issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not a ‘told you so’ type of person in any type of situation or I try not to be.  I have a joke now and then with people I engage with a lot but for me there is no point saying ‘I told you so’ because I get many things wrong, he may turn it around and me being right means that Villa are failing and that hurts me.  If the owners do keep him around I hope he turns it around although I think that’s unlikely but if that’s the case I hope people tell me ‘I told you so’.

I would take issue with one point from above, I support Aston Villa and not a particular person at Villa.  I don’t support Steven Gerrard, I support Aston Villa.  I want everybody associated with the club to do well because that benefits Aston Villa.  I am a supporter of the club.  

On game day I give my top level support at the ground but then pre and post game I will give my views on the individuals involved and those individuals pre and post game will get the support I believe they deserve.  My support is unwavering to the club, it always will be but the individuals employed by the club will have the level of support I believe they deserve outside of game time.  That doesn’t mean my support for the club is any less.

No, I get that Nick, and your first post on this thread illustrates that perfectly. I feel exactly the same, although (and I'm not talking about you here) I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and try to remain objective when it comes to achievement. Long term achievement requires long term thinking and investment, both financially and with respect to personnel. Short term thinking and reaction seldom results in long term success. That's why I generally abhor pushing the 'sack' button until things are played out. Playing devil's advocate here, SG has not had a calendar year here. Since 2010 we've had 9 managers, who have been with the club an average of 1.5 seasons. For whatever reason that's too many to be successful.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Of course mate, I'm just trying to make light of a grim looking situation, and see if I can conjure up some positive energy for a miracle tlike that to happen 🤣

I'm not really the " I told you so " type and don't really enjoy it either.

I remember on the Facebook groups, under Deano, it was a swinging pendulum of " Where are all the Smith haters now " whenever we got a result and " I told you he was out of his depth " when we lost  status update every other week.

It’s just crap mate… sad really after the way we had been going under the previous manager.

I think we’re entitled to be upset/angry/frustrated and if we can’t vent those feelings here then… where? 

I don’t particularly like being talked down to or being accused of having an agenda or being thrown into a group of so called “told you so” people.

Not allowed to have an opinion other than “support the manager”?

The manager who is sending us to our doom? No thanks…

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Read this again, and it is a really appalling post TRO.

Disappointing.

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Nah I think he has a plan. It just isn’t working.

• Like 1

FWIW, I think he has implemented a slightly different style of play and, somewhat ironically, it's what a lot of people on here were crying out for - "possession football".

I've noticed that we're far less pro-risk in the middle of the pitch and are looking for more incisive passes, which has often lead to the game being slowed down.  Mostly, this has been because our opponents (or, at least, Bournemouth and Palace) were very effective at either occupying defensive space (Bournemouth) or pressing our midfield (Palace).  But the ball doesn't get moved forwards as quickly - even if as a long-ball/hoof/whatever people were complaining about.

This, coupled with the fact that our defence has turned into utter poop, has meant we look poor.  We don't break down teams well enough and just can't defend set pieces at all to save our lives.

Edit:  We actually have a squad that is suited to more counter-attacking football and should embrace that.

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, I think he has implemented a slightly different style of play and, somewhat ironically, it's what a lot of people on here were crying out for - "possession football".

I've noticed that we're far less pro-risk in the middle of the pitch and are looking for more incisive passes, which has often lead to the game being slowed down.  Mostly, this has been because our opponents (or, at least, Bournemouth and Palace) were very effective at either occupying defensive space (Bournemouth) or pressing our midfield (Palace).  But the ball doesn't get moved forwards as quickly - even if as a long-ball/hoof/whatever people were complaining about.

This, coupled with the fact that our defence has turned into utter poop, has meant we look poor.  We don't break down teams well enough and just can't defend set pieces at all to save our lives.

Yeah, the set piece thing. Anyone have a percentage of goals so far conceded from set plays? I would be interested to see it, but it feels like it would be high. 

Â