Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

what if we get a new manager.....and its just the same.?

is that a consideration?

Well of course. Sacking a manager is the easy part. Obviously finding the right replacement is the hard part.

For example I’m of the belief that despite him being our most successful manager in 20+ years, sacking Smith was probably just about the right call. But we got the replacement totally wrong.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

What if he has one, but they are not adhering to it for reasons, unbeknown to us.

Effective leadership in football or any field is not about what you say - it’s about the actions your words provoke in others. Whether he has no plan or he has one but can’t get players to implement it is ultimately the same difference.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

In Klopp first season they got to the Europa League final and his 2nd season they qualified for the Championa League

As mentioned our situations aren’t identical. The appointment of Klopp was a statement from Liverpool after his success with Dortmund, and once he rejuvenated the squad and implemented his philosophy, over time they became unstoppable.

Similarly with SG, after his rangers success…(albeit not on par with Klopps at bvb)… the board rightfully appointed him with the hope he can bring us success and long term stability.

Yes Liverpool got to EL final and got a CL place the next season, but they weren’t in a relegation dogfight 1 year prior to his appointment like we were when we got SG.

1 minute ago, Flynnchin84 said:

As mentioned our situations aren’t identical. The appointment of Klopp was a statement from Liverpool after his success with Dortmund, and once he rejuvenated the squad and implemented his philosophy, over time they became unstoppable.

Similarly with SG, after his rangers success…(albeit not on par with Klopps at bvb)… the board rightfully appointed him with the hope he can bring us success and long term stability.

Yes Liverpool got to EL final and got a CL place the next season, but they weren’t in a relegation dogfight 1 year prior to his appointment like we were when we got SG.

We weren't in a dogfight. If we were, then we're in one now.

Also as you say here, Klopp had an exceptional CV to fall back on in terms of giving patience. You can't translate Gerrard's success at Rangers in PL terms.

You could also see the roots of what Klopp was trying to build there. Their football was dramatically different, they were very good in attack but weak in defence which was an issue with the personnel, which they fixed with Van Dijk and Allison.

There's nothing you can point to under Gerrard and say "I can see what he's trying to do here...he just needs X/Y". There's nothing there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We weren't in a dogfight. If we were, then we're in one now.

Also as you say here, Klopp had an exceptional CV to fall back on in terms of giving patience. You can't translate Gerrard's success at Rangers in PL terms.

You could also see the roots of what Klopp was trying to build there. Their football was dramatically different, they were very good in attack but weak in defence which was an issue with the personnel, which they fixed with Van Dijk and Allison.

There's nothing you can point to under Gerrard and say "I can see what he's trying to do here...he just needs X/Y". There's nothing there.

15 months prior to SG arrival we survived on the last day of the season. 15 months prior to Klopp appointment they were 4 points off a CL spot.

Of course the levels are different. You say Klopps success at bvb gave him leniency/patience in building his team, and your spot on.

Do you think a manager with that success would come to us? At the moment it’s hard to see any sort of Gerrard philosophy I agree, but the signings he’s made so far have been positive and overtime we’re bound to see progression.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

15 months prior to SG arrival we survived on the last day of the season.

15 months prior to Klopp appointment they were 4 points off a CL spot.

Of course the levels are different. You say Klopps success at bvb gave him leniency/patience in building his team, and your spot on.

Do you think a manager with that success would come to us? 

At the moment it’s hard to see any sort of Gerrard philosophy I agree, but the signings he’s made so far have been positive and overtime we’re bound to see progression.

I would hope there's something in between rookie manager who doesn't appear to know what he's doing and elite manager. There's got to be someone that fits the bill. We don't really have the luxury to wait (and hope) for Gerrard to become that guy. Rodgers seems like he'll be available soon, we're a much better proposition than Leicester were when he joined.

56 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

15 months prior to SG arrival we survived on the last day of the season.

15 months prior to Klopp appointment they were 4 points off a CL spot.

Do you think a manager with that success would come to us? 

At the moment it’s hard to see any sort of Gerrard philosophy I agree, but the signings he’s made so far have been positive and overtime we’re bound to see progression.

Maybe we should send him out on loan to a League 2 side, let him manage there for a bit.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Thug said:

Maybe we should send him out on loan to a League 2 side, let him manage there for a bit.

Totally agree, then maybe we should hire Pep or Simeone and sign Mbappe.

If that doesn’t work straight away we can always get Tuchel or Mourinho 🫡

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

He's Tim Sherwood in designer gear. Except Sherwood was working with an awful squad and actually bothered to wave his arms around on the sideline.

Tim Sherwood didn't slip up and actually captained a team to Premier League title.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

If he's going to turn this around, he's going to have to do something he hasn't done before so far in his tenure, which is beat a team in the top 7. 0 points in 4 games against our next 3 opponents. In fact, we have just 5 wins against teams in last season's top 15 (Brighton x2, Palace, Leicester, Southampton). 3 of those wins were in his first 5 games at the club when things were looking good. It's not looking so good now.

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If he was to get sacked at this point, I don't even think it will have been because of results.

There possibly could have been a combo of player revolt, and bust up with SG and others at the club.

Does appear that can be a bit of a hot head, and I couldn't picture him taking being overruled or impeded against his will kindly at all.

Obviously, none of this might be true, and we are just bored on VT looking for anything exciting or controversial to discuss.

Many a true word was said in jest .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flynnchin84 said:

Totally agree, then maybe we should hire Pep or Simeone and sign Mbappe.

If that doesn’t work straight away we can always get Tuchel or Mourinho 🫡

You know I was being sarcastic. Right?

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you really not see how this is a huge negative?

How so? I mean I get that they won't be a new managers players, but I would like to think a possible new manager might get them playing as well if the have quality or obvious strengths.

Â