Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Gerrard is on a spiral out of control he's plummeting more and more by the day he's done the point of no return.

He's now chucking players under the bus or sending them to bomb squad, he's lost the plot and cannot fix this.

His record poor his style of play even worse and the cracks are appearing to get bigger by the day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I've never been particularly pro/anti Gerrard, I just kind of accepted that it was a risky appointment and trusted the powers that be that he was worth giving a chance.

After an initial upturn it's been very bitty, some good stuff here and there but an awful lot of dross, none worse than was served up on Saturday. My main gripe is that none of the issues we had when he arrived have been corrected.

We can't put on a 90 minute performance, we still give away really really avoidable goals, and we still give the ball away far too easily. We are too easy to play against, more often than not we will defeat ourselves without the opposition having to do anything, and this was the same under Smith for his last year or so.

It was easy to accept some of it last season as a work in progress, and that Gerrard was discovering these weaknesses as we trundled along and would fix them in due time. Unfortunately, the time is due and the problems persist, on top of that he seems to have created new problems.

Coutinho, although a great signing for the profile of the club, forced one of our best players (Buendia) out of the team, which would be fine if Coutinho was consistently putting in performances, but he's not, and that's not entirely down to him, in a functional team I'm sure we'd get more out of him. The question is, was it worth it? Did we really need him? I like Coutinho, I still can't believe he plays for us, I'm just not sure his signing has been entirely beneficial.

The whole captaincy debacle is weird, if he wanted to pick his own captain fine, do it when you arrive, or if you want to assess and not upset the apple cart do it as soon as the season ends. I see no benefit to making the change weeks before a season begins and alienating a good player in the process. I feel like something has happened to force the timing of it, but the feeling remains it has been handled poorly.

Making players train with the kids, what is the purpose? Where's the benefit? It feels like man management is lacking there.

I am surprised by the reaction after Bournemouth, the fans, and the media have really jumped on it, and if you lose the fans and possibly some of the dressing room you are in big trouble, there's not really any coming back from that. I'm not sure if we are at that stage yet, but it feels like it's on the precipice. We have a good squad of players, and they are not performing to their potential or anywhere near it, and at the end of the day in part that is what Mr Gerrard is paid handsomely to do.

He needs a good start against Everton, because if we concede early again the atmosphere will become unbearable, if I was Lampard I'd be looking to take advantage of that.

Good post.  I'm in agreement with most of this here.  Personally I raised an eyebrow with SG hire but was happy and hopeful he would succeed.  SG just wasn't my first choice.  But I honestly didn't think his record would be nearly equal to DS after 9 months- I expected improvement with different tactics/players/etc.

My biggest disappointment with Villa is the apparent LACK OF EFFORT in MANY matches I've watched.  Villa are consistently out worked, out hustled, 2nd to nearly every ball, ZERO off ball movement, stagnant, etc.  Its very clear the opponent just wants it more.  For a professional athlete, 100% effort is the bare minimum standard I expect as a fan, full stop.  Your job is to play a game being paid millions of pounds to do.  A top effort and desire on that pitch should be demanded every match.  The difference in the match should be down to tactics and talent level, it should NEVER be effort level.  I think most Villa fans would accept a loss if their club played their hearts out and just got beat by a superior team.  But that has not been happening.  We are typically beating ourselves, silly mistakes, lazy errors, out worked on the pitch, etc.  That is the fault of the players AND the coach.  Its the players job to play hard and well.  But its also the job of the coach to prepare his team and motivate them.  I get the impression that SG struggles to motivate his team, and equally struggles to get them to play well- and that is extremely worrying.  DS also struggled with motivation in the end, he was too nice imo.  SG appears to be the opposite and its turning players off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's not for me to say how people should feel. Different people will have different expectations. I'm more than happy to see how it pans out over the next 7 or 8 games. He earned that after last season IMO. 

In terms of what goes on behind the scenes, no one really knows. 

Perhaps I'm just tired of it all. I used to like supporting the club. Now I find it wears me out!

How did he earn that? He beat one top half team last season

We won 6 in the 23 games in 2022

If he lost the next 3 for example would you be ok with that? Even Lambert, McLeish never had such a shit start

1 minute ago, Xela said:

It's not for me to say how people should feel. Different people will have different expectations. I'm more than happy to see how it pans out over the next 7 or 8 games. He earned that after last season IMO. 

He was poor in 2022 in the second half of the season.  

How is that earning it? 

His ppg just slid southwards after the first six games and his final 11 games yielded just 9 points.  His teams struggled with cohesion, style and tactics so I’m not sure where the “earning” was earnt.  

His transfers were excellent, his media interviews were superb but on the pitch was poor.  So he didn’t earn it last season but “he needed a full preseason” which he’s had now but first game didn’t go well so we just have to wait and see what the up coming games show us….

6 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Gerrard is on a spiral out of control he's plummeting more and more by the day he's done the point of no return.

Sounds like the tag line to a disaster movie. 

A little dramatic don't you think? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Perhaps I'm just tired of it all. I used to like supporting the club. Now I find it wears me out!

I'm struggling with the context...

I could have sacked him after that abject display.....but then I know deep down, that is ridiculous.

Anger is running high, and in no way, do I want to dilute that, because its deserved.

but composure has to reign......and he has to be given the opportunity to right the wrongs.....I hope he knows what it is.

My worry is, lesser talented teams are having their wicked way with us.......and we are laying down and having our bellies tickled.

I hope we have enough grit in the camp, to bounce back from this and demand a performance from each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

It’s certainly not any fun right now…

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2022 at 15:35, thunderball said:

I know this is a forum for views and opinions, but honestly!

Can we not at least give Gerrard and this side more than one game this new season before we cast judgement?

For me, he's got the Everton game.  There's bad luck, bad decisions, bad signings, bad injuries, bad pre seasons, bad conditions, opposition quality and various other caveats you can apply to a loss.   Gerrard had none of these for Bournemouth.

He also demonstrated a clear lack of understanding of our team by playing both McGinn and Ramsey, fundamental errors in picking 2 short defenders, and persisting with out of form favourites. The same mistakes at Everton and a loss and he's got no excuse and no evidence that he's accepted he's got significant room for improvement.

Edit: for balance,  if he demonstrates he understood the issues with the last team, gets the selection right, and we play well but lose unfortunately then he gets a reprieve also, but it won't be for very long if he doesn't win any of the next 4.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How did he earn that? He beat one top half team last season

We won 6 in the 23 games in 2022

If he lost the next 3 for example would you be ok with that? Even Lambert, McLeish never had such a shit start

I'm basing it on his results from when he took over, which would have placed us 9th from that point. Thats how I am making my judgement. 

You never wanted him here anyway so you'll take a different cut of results to make your point. 

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think I last enjoyed it under John Gregory! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm basing it on his results from when he took over, which would have placed us 9th from that point. Thats how I am making my judgement. 

You never wanted him here anyway so you'll take a different cut of results to make your point. 

He has a shitter win record than Tim Sherwood

His initial results were from his honeymoon period. 2022 is as bad as 2016 results wise when he has had major investment and got everything he has wanted from the board

• Like 1

While we were indeed 9th in the form table since Gerrard arrived (until now) we were only 2 points ahead of West Ham who were 14th in that form table. It's was extremely close around those places in the middle.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He was poor in 2022 in the second half of the season.  

How is that earning it? 

His ppg just slid southwards after the first six games and his final 11 games yielded just 9 points.  His teams struggled with cohesion, style and tactics so I’m not sure where the “earning” was earnt.  

His transfers were excellent, his media interviews were superb but on the pitch was poor.  So he didn’t earn it last season but “he needed a full preseason” which he’s had now but first game didn’t go well so we just have to wait and see what the up coming games show us….

I think you have answered your own doubt......Good preseason and one shit show.....ONE.

We all know, inc SG himself, that showing cannot continue.......

What I don't quite understand is, the comments about his view on pre season.....and then some continue with the line that last season was a disaster.....He has already said pre season is important....and that has no reflection on last season, theoretically he has worked on stuff he was unable to last season...........hopefully.

If the performances and results continue as they did last season....then and only then ,will the pre -season claims be unfounded.....what if we go on a winning run? will folk say he was right about preseason....some will, but some won't, as their agenda differs.

SG's biggest supporters would have been pee'd off with that car crash, so we all agree on that.....but the knee jerk reaction to it, is just fuel to temper our anger.

5 games in and we are still in this postion, the comments will have more significance.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That ranks with world disasters, quotes ...." What the **** was that"hIROSHIMA.jpg.63fdc247a64660a1f176bea1ac78e9e0.jpg

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He had the team training at Villa Park today - not sure why.

To avoid the Farmers gun in the next field to BMH...🤣

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

It really does feel inevitable him going to be honest. Took a massive punt and it has backfired spectacularly. Tactically woeful, dangerously stubborn and abrasively arrogant. Club feels like it is regressing after so much positivity over the last few years. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He had the team training at Villa Park today - not sure why.

Maybe get the new additions to get used to the pitch so at least they feel at home when they're completely lost with no instructions and standing 200 yards away from the nearest villa player.

• Like 4

How good a pre-season was isn't determined by the results in the games you play during it.

It's what you take from that pre-season into the season in form of fitness, cohesion, tactical familiarity and so on. Guess you could say that you take some confidence with you if you play well, that will be gone by now thou after that sh*t show in Bournemouth.

Early days but so far I've seen nothing to suggest we had a good pre-season.

All IMO of course.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

What I don't quite understand is, the comments about his view on pre season.....and then some continue with the line that last season was a disaster.....He has already said pre season is important....and that has no reflection on last season, theoretically he has worked on stuff he was unable to last season...........hopefully.

Problem is the first game was just a continuation of last season that’s why people are mentioning it.  After all preseason and a few new players, first game out of the block we see the same thing….that’s why!  We aren’t looking for a miracle change but some differences surely? Yes one game but if anything it was all the bad things from 2022 wrapped into one game against Bournemouth.  Forget the result, a loss can always happen but the performance showed the same issues as last season.  We look like a bunch of talented players that have never played or talked before and don’t have a game plan.

• Like 2

Â