Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We all want it to translate in to our performances Nick......but being articulate in his deliveries to the Media has to be and indication of the way the man communicates with the players/coaches.

It is only an indication....but One I feel from my experience listening to My CEO's over the years, it makes for encouragement.

Good communication is a tremendous filip, when leading men.

Remi Garde was good with media.

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How many on heat see Gerrards potential to become a great manager?

I think he has the “it” factor. 

Guess time will tell but I really quite like having him in charge of our club. 

I haven’t seen “it” yet.  

I think I’m just waiting to see something on the pitch.  

I’m reserving judgement if I’m honest to into the season, when I don’t know into the season.  

My first stage gate to be honest is to “feel” he’s good enough to manager us and within that he not just a sideways move on the previous manager.  If he passes that test over the coming months I can then assess whether he can become a great manager one day.

I haven’t see anything on the pitch to be impressed with but last season was early days, I’m hoping for more in the new season but I’m a long way from thinking he can a great manager at the moment.  

At this stage, it could be argued he’s likely to be let go by this time next season than being seen as a success as he’s under a lot of pressure now and we know how this league turns over managers.  I certainly hope that’s not the case and we are sitting here next season very happy looking up further in the league for the following season but we’ll see over the coming months.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the big thing is.....The Owners.....who are Elite.

I think Purslow is articulate and well informed too, with a wide ranging knowledge of his job....probably an Elite CEO.

These people are intent on challenging the top teams.....where that ceiling will be, is a million dollar question.

They have employed an young up an coming manager, with a world class global pull.....He has much to learn, as does his team, with a bunch of maurading young talent bursting to get in on the action.

The signs are really good, in my eyes.....but like all things, challenges will rear their ugly heads to try and disrail us.....outside influences will not want us to succeed and do their level best to scupper our progress.

The last think we want, is for those outsiders to become insiders.....we need all the momentum, we can get.

There is no guarantee's in football.....so relying on positivity, passion, belief, perseverance, drive, determination will take us a long way.

Some of us older fans can turn to false Dawns or OTT critique( We are all guilty at time, me too) but it won't fulfill those dreams.

I believe in this project, and will continue to do so.....until there is good reason not too.....And I don't see that happening.

Agree. I am drinking it in. I love where we are going as a club.  You can see us leveling up in real time both on and off the pitch.

• Like 3

Just now, Tayls said:

I wonder if Gerrard will have us playing as well as Kompany has got Burnley playing at these early stages. 

Yeah I’m impressed with Burnley

Edited by nick76

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You mention in one of the comments above that SG comes across as an elite manager, I just don’t see that.  I see a man that has had media training all through his playing career because he was one of the best ever in the PL so was always in the spotlight so his media presence I’d expect to be there.  I’ll give him big ups on the recruitment, along with Lange, Purslow and whoever else but for the elite manager, the main part is the football and I don’t see anything to suggest eliteness at all, his decisions have mostly poor and the impact following the initial period of his tenure has been poor.  He makes odd decisions a lot, I just, s far, don’t see anything that I think he could be an elite manager.  I just hope the new season he shows us he has that skill.

As for learning, you know my view on that, I don’t think he was ready for the Villa job and nothing on the pitch to date has changed my mind.  Thankfully if it does go wrong this season, his name, has got us some quality players in the door so the next manager has a good squad.  It’s all irrelevant now as he’s our manager and I will support him a 100% at the ground but he’s got a lot to do to prove he’s worthy of the job in my eyes and even a lot more to say he could be an elite manager one day.

I think you have drifted a bit mate.

I am talking about his media presence ( comes across as an Elite Manager, not is one)and you have drifted in to his game management......but even so, his media training is to his benefit, some of our past managers could have done better.

Neither of us can be right Nick, but his tenure has not played out yet.....In the meantime, isn't it partisan, to just support him.

You say His initial period of his tenure has been poor.....he is WIP

How can we be sure, that the work at BMH, even last season will not come to fruition this season?....... we simply do not know how big the job is/was?.....How much work is involved?......and when it is likely to come to fruition?

Whatever he has said to Carlos and Kamara, who both could have stepped higher.......it has been lost on some of us.

Was Ferguson ready for the United Job?....because it took him c 5 years....I'm sure other examples could be sought.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

Remi Garde was good with media.

was he?

oh it really is about opinions.....I saw a shrinking violet, bless him.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you have drifted a bit mate.

I am talking about his media presence ( comes across as an Elite Manager, not is one)and you have drifted in to his game management......but even so, his media training is to his benefit, some of our past managers could have done better.

Neither of us can be right Nick, but his tenure has not played out yet.....In the meantime, isn't it partisan, to just support him.

You say His initial period of his tenure has been poor.....he is WIP

How can we be sure, that the work at BMH, even last season will not come to fruition this season?....... we simply do not know how big the job is/was?.....How much work is involved?......and when it is likely to come to fruition?

Whatever he has said to Carlos and Kamara, who both could have stepped higher.......it has been lost on some of us.

Was Ferguson ready for the United Job?....because it took him c 5 years....I'm sure other examples could be sought.

For every Ferguson there are a 100 other managers that have been failures.  

As for the work at BMH it does need show this season, and as for WIP, that won’t be accepted by the owners if he starts the season poorly and we are struggling by the WC break he might not be around after that.  He needs that BMH work to come to fruition starting next week and build over the coming months.  He won’t have the excuses allowed this season.

I support him 100% at the ground and during games but outside of that I will question/discuss/debate pros and cons.  He has to deliver and as soon as I seen it on the pitch I’ll be one of his biggest defenders but he needs to earn that outside of the matches.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I wonder if Gerrard will have us playing as well as Kompany has got Burnley playing at these early stages. 

I haven't seen the game, but I like Kompany.

was it better than we mustered against Southampton, or the second half against Man U?.....or the first 70 minutes against Man City last season?

Consistency has been our enemy, we are trying to improve on it.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For every Ferguson there are a 100 other managers that have been failures.  

As for the work at BMH it does need show this season, and as for WIP, that won’t be accepted by the owners if he starts the season poorly and we are struggling by the WC break he might not be around after that.  He needs that BMH work to come to fruition starting next week and build over the coming months.  He won’t have the excuses allowed this season.

I support him 100% at the ground and during games but outside of that I will question/discuss/debate pros and cons.  He has to deliver and as soon as I seen it on the pitch I’ll be one of his biggest defenders but he needs to earn that outside of the matches.

We have seen it Nick....as I said in another post.....Southampton, Second Half against Man U in Aussie.....last season Man city was a tremendous, first 70 minutes only brain farts at the back undone us.

Consistency is what we crave and 90 + minute performances.....and I think he will get it.

19 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Gerrard had us playing really well in the early stages too. It's a long old season, let's see how it plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Adjusting your opinion based on new evidence is great actually.

It's how we ended up in such a mess with Brexit. Not sure when the tipping point happened when people just picked a side on any subject and stuck to it. Very poor form.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

It's how we ended up in such a mess with Brexit. Not sure when the tipping point happened when people just picked a side on any subject and stuck to it. Very poor form.

Thats a bit random....we are in the Steven Gerrard Thread.

what's Brexit got to do with it?

Just now, TRO said:

We have seen it Nick....as I said in another post.....Southampton, Second Half against Man U in Aussie.....last season Man city was a tremendous, first 70 minutes only brain farts at the back undone us.

Consistency is what we crave and 90 + minute performances.....and I think he will get it.

I’m not sure I agree we’ve seen far more poor with a few bright sparks, it unknown whether that then was just the players talent or Gerrard.  We need to see more positive periods to then give Gerrard sole credit for the improvements just as I cant blame Gerrard when a player makes an individual stupid mistake that leads to a goal.  Rare individual moments or rare periods of play positive or negative can’t solely put down to a manager, the assessment for a manager is over longer period of games, run of games to see the manager and coaching influence. I haven’t seen that in Gerrard’s case.  

I’m dying to be a Gerrard fan but I’m sitting here on the fence with splinters waiting…I don’t want to think he can do it, hope he can do it, I need to see it as at the moment he’s just as likely to flop as he will succeed.  I need a good season, I want to enjoy going down the Villa.  Let’s see if he can do it 🙏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's in the exit polls.

People who voted for Brexit (and maintain it was a good thing) think Gerrard was a really good appointment.

in fairness at least they have stopped comparing Gerrard to Zelensky which was still the most bizarre thing I have read on this forum

Â