Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 19/06/2022 at 20:38, Tom13 said:

Tbf I think there's a fair few that just dislike Gerrard as a person, and want him to fail no matter what. And you can't really argue with that if it's how they feel.

I actually increasingly like him as a person and I also very much hope he succeeds BUT I still see where people with concerns are coming from as I am yet to see too many signs that he is bringing anything special to the mix on the pitch (beyond attracting big-name players which he is doing very well at). Hoping that after a pre-season working on ‘his way of playing’ we see a big improvement next season. But it’s hard… the top few teams in the league have genuinely world class managers. If we want to get to where people are hoping, he ultimately needs to ‘out manage’ the likes of Conte, not just the likes of Potter or Lampard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup I agree, I think Gerrard will get it right. And I hope he gets it right.

How any supposed fan could wish for his failure, ultimately is wishing Aston Villa failure which is madness!

I honestly think he will and I’m excited to see what happens. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup I agree, I think Gerrard will get it right. And I hope he gets it right.

How any supposed fan could wish for his failure, ultimately is wishing Aston Villa failure which is madness!

If someone genuinely dislikes like him as a person, then I can completely understand why they wouldn't that person enjoying success with the club they love.

Whether there's any proper reasons to dislike Gerrard as a person is another thing, no-one's perfect and he does come across as a decent bloke most of the time.

Edited by Tom13

I hope to god he sorts it out and we start to perform. It's a tough league and if doesn't he will be found out quickly and there's no excuses, next game Bournemouth, a tough but winnable game . 

23 minutes ago, tinker said:

I hope to god he sorts it out and we start to perform. It's a tough league and if doesn't he will be found out quickly and there's no excuses, next game Bournemouth, a tough but winnable game . 

I don't care it's the first game,  the team should be fired ready to go. If we lose against Bournemouth, I'll be crying my eyes out already.

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

If someone genuinely dislikes like him as a person, then I can completely understand why they wouldn't that person enjoying success with the club they love.

If SG loses, Villa lose. I can't understand a Villa 'supporter' actively wanting Villa to lose to make a point. They can bugger off and 'support' one of our rivals. It would actually help us.

I'm not sure if Stevie will succeed at Villa, but I sure as hell hope he does. It means we're winning. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I actually increasingly like him as a person and I also very much hope he succeeds BUT I still see where people with concerns are coming from as I am yet to see too many signs that he is bringing anything special to the mix on the pitch (beyond attracting big-name players which he is doing very well at). Hoping that after a pre-season working on ‘his way of playing’ we see a big improvement next season. But it’s hard… the top few teams in the league have genuinely world class managers. If we want to get to where people are hoping, he ultimately needs to ‘out manage’ the likes of Conte, not just the likes of Potter or Lampard.

I love him as a person, his desire as a footballer and dragging that Liverpool team by his attitude in the pitch and his sheer footballing talent.  

I love quality talent of other teams because it’s great to watch.  Just like in life, there are amazing people who are technically brilliant but doesn’t always translate into being a great manager whether of a football team, a tech company or a small team of employees.  

I hope that isn’t the case with Gerrard, I hope his managerial skills are as good as his playing skills, we’ll just have to wait and see, and really hope that’s the case.  None of us know, we just either “believe” or “hope”.  I’m hopeful for next season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If SG loses, Villa lose. I can't understand a Villa 'supporter' actively wanting Villa to lose to make a point. They can bugger off and 'support' one of our rivals. It would actually help us.

I'm not sure if Stevie will succeed at Villa, but I sure as hell hope he does. It means we're winning. 

You're misunderstanding me completely. It's not making a point, if you really dislike someone as a person is it?

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

You're misunderstanding me completely. It's not making a point, if you really dislike someone as a person is it?

Nobody wants Villa to lose though. I hated MON, O'Leary and Bruce but still cheered when we won games and gave credit where its due. Though in Gerrard defence he comes across as more likeable in interviews than them 3 clearings in the woods

I do suppose its easier to get on the back when we lose which was a lot last season but again depends on the loss. City away and Liverpool at home were acceptable compared to the gutless performances vs Arsenal and Watford at home and Liverpool and Newcastle away. Probably missing another few

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

OK, let me rephrase. If you want Villa to lose because you hate someone in charge, then you can bugger off. (Not you per se as I know you were only saying you understood the logic). 

The key part of this is the 'wanting Villa to lose'.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nobody wants Villa to lose though. I hated MON, O'Leary and Bruce but still cheered when we won games and gave credit where its due

I do suppose its easier to get on the back when we lose which was a lot last season but again depends on the loss. City away and Liverpool at home were acceptable compared to the gutless performances vs Arsenal and Watford at home and Liverpool and Newcastle away. Probably missing another few

I get that. The original post talked about not wanting the manager to have success, ergo Villa not having success. Whether or not in reality that is a view many (or any) people have, imo it's an awful, spiteful viewpoint that does no one any good. 

I've said on here before how I really did not want Suarez to come here because of his attitude and personality, but if he had signed  I'd be mad to actively want him to f**k up, because it would mean Villa were losing. 

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly I think our board look at Gerrard as the English version of Arteta. .

By January we will know if that is the case i reckon. 

All these plans off the pitch need results to happen on the pitch. 

The Prem has some ridiculous managerial quality throughout it with i would say 3 of the top 5 managers in the world in Klopp Pep and Conte , with Tuchel coming close to that top 5 .  You then have the likes of , Ten Haag , Hassenhutal and even up and comers like Steve Cooper and Lego Pep. 

Anyone who says Gerrard isnt good enough has a valid point if you compare on paper with these managers above. 

But its the stuff not on paper that i think our board have bought into . His standing in world football  his ability to secure high profile signings and in general his aura. When he talks   for the most part you do listen. 

As i said at the start , by January we will know if he is any good.  Lets give him that chance . If he is 11 to 14th  in the league then its obvious that he cannot give us the management we need .

We are relying on a coach and manager to punch above his weight not to his weight, if we are ever to close the gap.

If we are just going to punch our own weight then we will end up midtable but with top 6 infrastrucure. And i do not believe there are any trophies on show for infrastructure.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 08:55, sne said:

As we've seen, GK's, defenders, midfielders and attackers are also hit and miss.

That is true....but wingers by definition, can drift in and out of games, and there involvement sparse, particularly if possession is hard to come by.

You can play without wingers.....but not the positions you have mentioned.

would look kinda novel, playing without a Goalkeeper.😀

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nobody wants Villa to lose though. I hated MON, O'Leary and Bruce but still cheered when we won games and gave credit where its due. Though in Gerrard defence he comes across as more likeable in interviews than them 3 clearings in the woods

Also, to quote on another point here, the second part, I guess one question you could ask is whether it is reasonable (and again I'm not getting at you specifically here, because you were explaining a viewpoint) to expect (not want, or hope for, but expect) consistently excellent performances throughout the season.

Obviously the minimum we would expect is that the team gives it 100% effort, but sometimes, and for numerous, unfathomable reasons you get performances that are off. Whether or not this is due to lack of effort, I would suggest, is very difficult for us supporters (and probably tricky for managers) to confirm even if it looks that way to outsiders. 

Is it not possible to just accept that as humans, regardless of how much they are getting paid, the level of consistency demanded by fans is unattainable? The Man Cities of this world achieve it by having ability to spare, so that on their worst day the players are able to win. That and quality reserves to take over when there is a dip in form in the first 11. Do the supporters of the rest of the mortal clubs not have to accept that they (including us) aren't in that place right now? To some degree we have to hold our hands up to opposition and say 'fair play, you beat us fair and square today', whilst supporting those who are working to make us improve, so that we get back at them next time.  

To my mind the quality of us as supporters is judged not when things are going well, but when they are not, and if we agree that we can influence things on the pitch, the way that we can try to achieve the consistency we all want is to get behind the team, even if they are 'shit'. That may be how we level off the dips in form, and elevate our results. We as fans also need to look at ourselves, and how we can improve. 

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Rightly or wrongly I think our board look at Gerrard as the English version of Arteta. .

By January we will know if that is the case i reckon. 

All these plans off the pitch need results to happen on the pitch. 

The Prem has some ridiculous managerial quality throughout it with i would say 3 of the top 5 managers in the world in Klopp Pep and Conte , with Tuchel coming close to that top 5 .  You then have the likes of , Ten Haag , Hassenhutal and even up and comers like Steve Cooper and Lego Pep. 

Anyone who says Gerrard isnt good enough has a valid point if you compare on paper with these managers above. 

But its the stuff not on paper that i think our board have bought into . His standing in world football  his ability to secure high profile signings and in general his aura. When he talks   for the most part you do listen. 

As i said at the start , by January we will know if he is any good.  Lets give him that chance . If he is 11 to 14th  in the league then its obvious that he cannot give us the management we need .

We are relying on a coach and manager to punch above his weight not to his weight, if we are ever to close the gap.

If we are just going to punch our own weight then we will end up midtable but with top 6 infrastrucure. And i do not believe there are any trophies on show for infrastructure.

I believe, in what you say.....His standing in world football is prominent.....That alone doesn't make a good manager, but its a pretty nifty advantage to have.

SG needs experience, to gain the recognition of top manager status.....just like the managers you have mentioned, they had to make their mark, too.

I believe our owners have faith in the raw SG and are willing to develop him accordingly.....so as long as the wheels don't fall off, I don't see any knee jerk reactions from them, in regards to SG's tenure.

I think as long as incremental progress is in evidence, results will be viewed with careful consideration in association.

I think NSWE see SG as a med/long term appointment, and bumps in the road will be viewed, just as they are.......That's to say a ruthless pursuit of betterment will still be sought.

We have a bunch of Hierarchy, NSWE, Purslow, Gerrard, with Winning in their DNA, so I think we are in good hands.....we just have to be patient.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I believe, in what you say.....His standing in world football is prominent.....That alone doesn't make a good manager, but its a pretty nifty advantage to have.

SG needs experience, to gain the recognition of top manager status.....just like the managers you have mentioned, they had to make their mark, too.

I believe our owners have faith in the raw SG and are willing to develop him accordingly.....so as long as the wheels don't fall off, I don't see any knee jerk reactions from them, in regards to SG's tenure.

I think as long as incremental progress is in evidence, results will be viewed with careful consideration in association.

I think NSWE see SG as a med/long term appointment, and bumps in the road will be viewed, just as they are.......That's to say a ruthless pursuit of betterment will still be sought.

We have a bunch of Hierarchy, NSWE, Purslow, Gerrard, with Winning in their DNA, so I think we are in good hands.....we just have to be patient.

I mean, whilst we at times criticise his tactical naivety, the fact that he has brought good players in to address the areas we all knew needed addressing suggests he's not tactically clueless, right? 

There have been times when I've wondered that about some of his predecessors. 

• Like 1

Â