Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Not convinced by Gerrard and will be even less so if Beale leaves.

Whatever happens top 8 finish next season and no more excuses or he's toast.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

C’mon - modern coaches work with the players - Gerrard isn’t MON FFS 

He lays the cones out and then stands on the sidelines in full training kit like John Terry, trying to look the part.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wasn't singling anyone out mate.   Sorry if it seemed that way.  Was more a general observation. 

I take it you're not optimistic he will come good?

I’m not either way to be honest.  

I’m just analysing as I go along.  

I didn’t think he should get the job because he wasn’t ready and didn’t have the experience but then I accepted that was the choice of the club.

I backed him and was delighted with the first six games, not just the points but the team had some real fight, purpose, very much a reflection of Gerrard the player.  I thought my initial reservations were wrong.

Then we had  16 games and 16 points from memory, which aside from a middle three victories the other games were poor.  

The last few, my favourite was the Liverpool performance because we were competitive and had ideas despite losing and that performance against most teams would’ve won the game.  The Palace game yesterday was the opposite and poor aside from the last 5 minutes.

As for the future, I don’t know.  I want to believe, have the faith but there are less straws to grasp than negatives.  He’s going to get a ton of money to spend which should bring in quality but I haven’t made any views on the future whether he has the ability to do something with them, to get the most out of them.

With all that quality, even a half decent manager should then get around 10th or 11th but he wasn’t brought in to be a half decent manager he was brought in for next level.

So to answer your question.  I believe he’s at least a half decent manager but those are ten a penny to hire.  The question though is he the next level manager the board have hired? I can’t answer that yet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

C’mon - modern coaches work with the players - Gerrard isn’t MON FFS 

Gerrard has said Beale runs the coaching, has said he defers to him re the coaching, he said he leaves it to Beale because he is far more knowledgeable about that than Gerrard.  These are Gerrard’s words.

Of course Gerrard is involved in the training, I never said he wasn’t but Gerrard has said Beale runs the coaching. 

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just yesterday, you literally said you hope he gets more experienced/better assistants in as you suspected the current ones were out of their depths, and that he needed better brains behind him to run his fraudulent operation?.

Also, you keep refering " excuses " as if Gerrard has made any? Lol

I think you have the wrong poster.

I don't recall saying anything about his coaching staff yesterday.

• Like 1

I would consider giving the money for 2 key players say a DM and a CB and saying to Gerrard make the best with what you already have in addition to those 2 new players and coach the team to be as good as it can be. I am not sure he will be here long enough to give her a huge amount to spend in the summer.

I think his main selection problem is we have 4 players (who expect to start) for 2/3 starting roles. We can either play with both Buendia & Coutinho but then we can only go with one striker (Watkins or Ings) & if we go with 2 up top, then only one of EMI or Phil can start. 

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think you have the wrong poster.

I don't recall saying anything about his coaching staff yesterday.

It was me and I stand by it. Gerrard will sadly be here next season but he definitely needs upgrade his coaching staff with experience and talent 

I think a fitness coach is required and personally would remove Gary Mc for a good assistant like how O'Kelly was removed last summer

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

So you’d prefer us to remain a mid-table squad with some obvious weaknesses to fill for next season or until such time as Gerrard leaves?

What I'm saying is. We give Gerrard a pot of money to buy half a new team again because he can't improve or make what he has work in his system. If Gerrard gets fired in January say, and the new manager doesn't fancy these new players, we begin yet again rebuilding.

He needs a DM that is clear. Maybe a CD. 

Anything else is too much..we are spending insane amounts of money..we need to make what we have work first. Surely this isn't unreasonable.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But if it’s mind made up his shit and we’re going backwards with him then the discussion isn’t going to get very far. 

I haven’t made my mind up, I’ve literally said today several times before now I haven’t made my mind up.  

We don’t know if he’s better, worse or the same for us. He could be brilliant next season or he could get us relegated or he, like most managers, end up mid table.  

I even said today the minimum he is, is a half decent manager, the question remains is whether he’s a next level manager and we will see over the coming periods.  I literally said that earlier today.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are we not experiencing similarities between Smith's first year and Gerrard's first year?  I'm sure there were tons of Villa fans that were saying the same things some posters here say about Gerrard? Especially around December 2018, I remember on Twitter (I haven't gone back to look at the Dean Smith thread) were saying as soon as Dean Smith has his own team then we can fairly judge him? We are repeating the same message but for Gerrard now. I agree with the message, but I feel like a few here are still hurting about Smiths departure. 

I've said that he was never my preference for taking over Smith, but I'll support him and judge him fairly. I just think (as I did with Smith in 2018) it's a bit unfair to make a definitive judgement on him already, he has his warts and we know what they are. Just like Smith, we are going to see if he eventually grows from his cons. I don't see any reason why he can't grow and improve as a manager. 

Some of the criticism is understandable of him, but I just feel that a lot of people (not just here) are mixing their personal feelings in with it.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Funny enough the last time this happened a S.Bruce was in charge and it went as people expected

Every manager we’ve ever had has divided fans but I do think you’re confusing your views on Gerrard with what ‘people’ are expecting. 

Many fans are quietly optimistic for next season. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

What I'm saying is. We give Gerrard a pot of money to buy half a new team again because he can't improve or make what he has work in his system. If Gerrard gets fired in January say, and the new manager doesn't fancy these new players, we begin yet again rebuilding.

He needs a DM that is clear. Maybe a CD. 

Anything else is too much..we are spending insane amounts of money..we need to make what we have work first. Surely this isn't unreasonable.

As I have commented in reply to other posters previously, nobody is going to “give Gerrard a pot of money” to buy who he likes. There is a recruitment process at the club that seeks to ensure continuity in the playing squad that can outlive any managerial changes. We clearly need to upgrade the squad to achieve the owners’ ambitions and I don’t see a case for holding that up just because you don’t rate our current manager.

Anyway, I think you are indulging in a little bit of wishful thinking if you believe Gerrard will get fired in January!

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Every manager we’ve ever had has divided fans but I do think you’re confusing your views on Gerrard with what ‘people’ are expecting. 

Many fans are quietly optimistic for next season. 

Not all of the ones I have spoken too, a few are worried for next season

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not all of the ones I have spoken too, a few are worried for next season

I'm worried for next season.

I'm not worried about relegation, but apathy towards another boring mid-table bleurgh fest is real. Also, if that happens, the 24,000 person season ticket waiting list will evaporate, fast.

If that standard of football stays the same, it's been dire for a while now, that will impact on optimism too.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

There hasn't been continuity from the last manager to this one.

Gerrard's system doesn't utilise wingers, we spent £30,000,000 on Bailey last summer. That on top of the money spent on Traore the summer before. 

Were your point to be correct, the manager we hired after Deano would play something similar to the 4-2-3-1 system which in some fashion fits last summers signings. As others have said though, our recent transfer success has been mixed, at best. Alex Berwick on Twitter articulates this really well.

That is a very valid point. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm worried for next season.

I'm not worried about relegation, but apathy towards another boring mid-table bleurgh fest is real. Also, if that happens, the 24,000 person season ticket waiting list will evaporate, fast.

If that standard of football stays the same, it's been dire for a while now, that will impact on optimism too.

And yet, as it stands, if Gerrard was to have had the whole season we would be 8th on current ppg - A position many of us would have been delighted with at the start of the season and would have gotten a very different tune from the "dire football" brigade. 

The start of the season was an unmitigated disaster, and chucking 6 points away against Watford has totally shot us in the foot. 

Â