Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I didn’t think we were that great in Gerrard’s first few games even though we won some of them, we were set up to defend and not much else, had 30% possession against Palace and others.

But in that three game winning run recently, and against Spurs, we’ve shown signs of quality. If it wasn’t for those games, I’d want Gerrard out immediately.

I am in absolutely no rush to sack a newly appointed manager, and am prepared to give the man time to make the team his and adjust the squad more in tune with his requirements. 

I am, however, far from convinced so far, and a poor start to next season would probably test my patience. 

• Like 1

I remain utterly unconvinced by him, bit I am keen to see what sort of summer he produces and how we shape up next season.  We have really obvious flaws and I'm keen to see if he identifies them and is the  quality that Purslow thinks he's getting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

To answer some points:

• If not bad then average at best, Newcastle were rock bottom with Norwich for half the season and it's a scandal they're above us, Palace bought half a new team last summer, Brentford got promoted through the playoffs. If we finish below any of them this season something has gone horribly wrong
  • Newcastle's team that beat Leicester yesterday on paper was barely better than anything Bruce had - Wood in for Wilson (injured) is a downgrade, Targett has improved them but was our backup LB and not performing when he did play, Burn was Brighton's third best CB. Only Guimaraes has vastly improved the quality of their team. Tripper made a huge difference when he came in but he's been out for months
  • Of course you'll deserve to lose a game if you gift the opposition goals, like we seem to do every week, we're the most generous team in the league when giving soft goals away, but our XG was higher than Spurs and the scoreline was ridiculous
  • Managers who lose every week or every other week will be under fire, it's part and parcel of a football manager, the one thing I was expecting Gerrard to do was make us harder to beat than under Smith, that clearly hasn't happened as he's lost 11 of the 21 games he's managed
  • You mention Ancelotti - Everton were miles better last season than this, in contention for Europe and even top 4 until the last few weeks of last season, so not sure what your argument is - he was a top manager and both Rafa and Lampard have been huge downgrades

I know you're desperate for Gerrard to succeed, but we have to think very carefully about giving him unconditional backing regardless of results and performances. He's performed no better than our last manager and many of us at that time knew something needed to change. Of course we can't just keep changing manager every 6 months but that's why we should have gone all out for a proven one at the time instead of taking a massive punt on Gerrard. 

I agree with most of what u are saying I think he or any manager needs the unconditional support during the summer window. If they don't have continued belief in SG and want to curtail his influence and his transfer window then they should sack him. We should have a manager with unconditional support or we should replace him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

To answer some points:

• If not bad then average at best, Newcastle were rock bottom with Norwich for half the season and it's a scandal they're above us, Palace bought half a new team last summer, Brentford got promoted through the playoffs. If we finish below any of them this season something has gone horribly wrong
  • Newcastle's team that beat Leicester yesterday on paper was barely better than anything Bruce had - Wood in for Wilson (injured) is a downgrade, Targett has improved them but was our backup LB and not performing when he did play, Burn was Brighton's third best CB. Only Guimaraes has vastly improved the quality of their team. Tripper made a huge difference when he came in but he's been out for months
  • Of course you'll deserve to lose a game if you gift the opposition goals, like we seem to do every week, we're the most generous team in the league when giving soft goals away, but our XG was higher than Spurs and the scoreline was ridiculous
  • Managers who lose every week or every other week will be under fire, it's part and parcel of a football manager, the one thing I was expecting Gerrard to do was make us harder to beat than under Smith, that clearly hasn't happened as he's lost 11 of the 21 games he's managed
  • You mention Ancelotti - Everton were miles better last season than this, in contention for Europe and even top 4 until the last few weeks of last season, so not sure what your argument is - he was a top manager and both Rafa and Lampard have been huge downgrades

I know you're desperate for Gerrard to succeed, but we have to think very carefully about giving him unconditional backing regardless of results and performances. He's performed no better than our last manager and many of us at that time knew something needed to change. Of course we can't just keep changing manager every 6 months but that's why we should have gone all out for a proven one at the time instead of taking a massive punt on Gerrard. 

Who doesn't, want him to succeed, only Hippo.

• Something has gone wrong, the balance of the team is wrong and the recruitment in recent seasons has not addressed it....and right now there seems no way out.
  • Newcastle have bought in area's they needed to and it has worked.....it was much better than anything Bruce had.....5 decent players have come in, but more importantly, in exactly the positions they needed them, thats the significant bit....its more than Guimares that has improved Newcastle, Burn has been a significant improvement.....Wood is a different player to Wilson and has added hold up play to their team...they have become harder to beat and he and Burn have added to that.
  • Carlo Ancellotti had a win ratio at Everton of 46%, only his first club out of 11 was he ever worse, his current ratio is 72 %.....yes, players do matter.....I think Ancellotti is world class, but won 31 games in 67 at Everton...but players don't matter, do they? Ironically Everton, Leeds and Villa all bunched together last season and this season the same, just further down the league.
  • Losing games will catch up with any manager, and our has lost too many, but lets see what he does with his own constructed team....and players who can execute, what he wants.... He needs more time than this.
  • You seem to make gifting goals a slight inconvenience.....It has destroyed the confidence in the team, it has affected the form of players, who don't defend as their prime task too.....its a disease.
  • Like 2

I always want every Villa Manager to succeed, even McLeish, because  I want my club challenging for everything.  However we know some appointments will have a greater chance than others.  I genuinely thought Lambert could take us places, alas he was out of his depth.  This one is going to end with Gerrard at Plop or Tranmere, probably more likely to be England if he fails here.  I really don’t think he’s shown enough, but I thought that after Brian Little’s first half a season in charge.

• Like 2

Weren't we one clean sheet away from equalling our PL record last year?  The system where the full backs play so far up and 2 central midfielders covering them inevitably will leave the defensive midfielder and in turn the centre halves exposed no matter who they are.  Yes our players are capable of gifting goals at the best of times but leaving them so exposed all the time is pretty suicidal.  Sending the team out like that every week is pretty amateurish.  Ironically while Ings and Watkins haven't gelled going forward, I feel at least a bit more comfortably defensively as they both work really hard to close down high up the pitch.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Weren't we one clean sheet away from equalling our PL record last year?  The system where the full backs play so far up and 2 central midfielders covering them inevitably will leave the defensive midfielder and in turn the centre halves exposed no matter who they are.  Yes our players are capable of gifting goals at the best of times but leaving them so exposed all the time is pretty suicidal.  Sending the team out like that every week is pretty amateurish.  Ironically while Ings and Watkins haven't gelled going forward, I feel at least a bit more comfortably defensively as they both work really hard to close down high up the pitch.

An extra 4 goal contributions from Matty Cash this season, though 👍

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well we think they're not good enough because of their performances this season and playing in a system that doesn't suit them, but if we had the Bailey and Buendia from last season we'd be a much better team. 

Put it this way, if we sold those 2 player I'm pretty sure they would become top quality players elsewhere. 

Buendia has had his best performances for us, under Gerrard?

Granted, he's since dropped him as well, so it's a difficult one.

Was only months ago people were writing him off and calling him a waste of space and 40 mill or whatever etc though.

But yeah, we need to find a system to ustilise the best of what we've got.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

And we have conceded 46 goals, after 31 games.....the same as at the seasons end, last season.

I have no idea, why he chooses to play with wing backs as opposed to Full Backs, other than the start of something, he wants to transform the team in to.....but right now, you are right, its a step back, until we can get defensive savvy players in to midfield....and that hopefully is for next season.

I don't see Ings or Watkins showing any Authority, in holding the ball up, so put all that in the mix and we are Wide open..

I also don't see any of our permutations of wingers, keeping the ball either, to any extent....so all in all, its a bit of a hotchpotch.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard should be on thin ice. A manager can't just come in and say 'my team plays this way and we will play this way regardless of the fortunes of the team and we will completely overhaul the side to make it work'. The manager has to adapt to his tool box to get the best result. 

Gerrard doesn't, really. He's switched to a 2 striker system, which hasn't been a roaring success but is utilising the squad in a way he doesn't really want to. But he will not shift on the thing that undoes us, the fullbacks being heavily attacking, despite us not having elite level fullbacks or a midfield that can support that system. He has a squad that has a focus on wide forwards/wingers and tidy midfielders, which, yes is unbalanced and clearly still being built, but he just rejects wingers and sticks with the same midfield with the same tactics every week that isn't working.

I'm not terribly impressed. When it clicks it's decent. But it's very all or nothing - we turn up or we don't. And it really does feel like he needs a very specific set of players to play the way he wants to, and there's no guarantee even then it'll work. And he evidently has a first choice XI and everyone else. And I really haven't seen much to feel confident that this is the home to chuck money at. 

I want him to succeed, because he's Villa manager. And on paper I like the way he wants us to play. But I'm not convinced it'll work, and I'm not convinced he's s good enough manager to do anything else when it doesn't. Kicking a rocket to the arse of the team at half time they other week isn't the hallmark of a good manager in the making IMO.

Well, I'm sure constantly losing wasn't part of the plan...but I think a difficult season taking over a third of the way through was.

I am convinced he will make it.....but your observations are worthwhile and feasible.

I have been convinced for some time of a flaw/ imbalance in this squad and its still there and i don't see a change under any manager, until its remedied....and I don't think it can just be managed away.

He is yet, to get the results in a pattern to settle everyone down and I get that.

I think against certain teams we have done well and against others we have struggled, that has been the case under 2 managers, with essentially the same team....I think the answer lies in the make up of this squad/team.I think I know why he/ him is/was struggling, but hey ho....I could be wrong.

However, that's just for folks opinions to decide.

but lets just do a "what if"...alternative.

What if the board just sacked him after the next defeat.....what do you think the reaction would be, from all quarters?....and where would it leave the club going forward?

Burnley, have just made a pretty surprising sacking, to most......so what if we did the same?

9 years v 19 games....so what?

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Who doesn't, want him to succeed, only Hippo.

• Something has gone wrong, the balance of the team is wrong and the recruitment in recent seasons has not addressed it....and right now there seems no way out.
  • Newcastle have bought in area's they needed to and it has worked.....it was much better than anything Bruce had.....5 decent players have come in, but more importantly, in exactly the positions they needed them, thats the significant bit....its more than Guimares that has improved Newcastle, Burn has been a significant improvement.....Wood is a different player to Wilson and has added hold up play to their team...they have become harder to beat and he and Burn have added to that.
  • Carlo Ancellotti had a win ratio at Everton of 46%, only his first club out of 11 was he ever worse, his current ratio is 72 %.....yes, players do matter.....I think Ancellotti is world class, but won 31 games in 67 at Everton...but players don't matter, do they? Ironically Everton, Leeds and Villa all bunched together last season and this season the same, just further down the league.
  • Losing games will catch up with any manager, and our has lost too many, but lets see what he does with his own constructed team....and players who can execute, what he wants.... He needs more time than this.
  • You seem to make gifting goals a slight inconvenience.....It has destroyed the confidence in the team, it has affected the form of players, who don't defend as their prime task too.....its a disease.

I want all Villa managers to succeed too, there is no agenda against Gerrard, but I don't think the antipathy towards him is misplaced. We should be getting better under his stewardship not worse - yes most of these are not his players but managers at other clubs who have gone in this season do not seem to be having the same issues. 

I am intrigued to see what happens over the last 7 games. We can pretty much write off Liverpool and City, but the other 5 games are winnable. Leicester is the hardest of them but I will be absolutely livid if we roll over and give away more poor goals. I want to see something change either in the formation/personnel or tactically (or both) that makes us both more defensively sound and consequently harder to beat, whilst freeing up our attack. If it means playing in a way that was similar to when he first took charge so be it. 

If I see no evidence that he can adapt to get better results in these last few games then I really don't see the point in giving him a massive sum of money in the summer and would rather we look for someone new to give those funds to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard should be on thin ice. A manager can't just come in and say 'my team plays this way and we will play this way regardless of the fortunes of the team and we will completely overhaul the side to make it work'. The manager has to adapt to his tool box to get the best result. 

Why can't he? How do you know that this wasn't agreed at the interview stage? 

• Like 2

Â