Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 hours ago, hippo said:

Got ya.

My point is I don't believe Lange and the youth set up will continue to have the autonomy that they had before SG arrived.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lange moved on tbh. 

I would expect there to be some changes on the youth & U23 coaching personnel as well.

Stevie G is much a manager than DS - the latter more than happy to spend most of his job role on the training pitch. SG imo wants and will get a much wider and powerful remit.

Based on your hatred for Gerrard rather than any facts … Gerrard is an employee of Aston Villa and though will have a certain degree of autonomy and maybe a larger say than Smith - NSWE will not deviate from their chosen path and set up anytime soon - The statement in the accounts backs this up. 

Edens had previously spoken about data being integral to future decisions on players and youth being integral. And the thing is about data is it takes time to accumulate - and we started from 0.  We aren’t going to rip up 2 years of work and investment just because you think Purslow got his mate in and based on nothing means that work is gunna be tossed aside…

I’m not overly impressed we where we are at present but it’s all very tight and we aren’t that bad a team and won’t keep losing. Gerrard is a work in progress as manager as are we. Regardless of whether Smith stayed this summer, we would’ve always seen a changeover in players to try and get us to the next level and we can see that we are desperate for a new spine with more experience of achieving and playing at a higher level. Experienced doesn’t necessarily mean old either, so any misgivings of Gerrard ‘s supposed chosen strategy  of wanting to add that obvious missing element again just smacks as an agenda against him rather than fact. We have a crop of exciting youngsters whose pathway to the 1st team will be cut off if we buy big money 20-23 yo prospects. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I have some issues with Gerrard and if we don't kick on next season he should definitely go but this thread is hilarious.

I'm just disappointed how flat it's gone so quickly under him.

It went flat under DS...but he'd been here three years at that point and that tends to be the time it happens for most managers at clubs these days if they make it that far.

There was a good bounce in the early months under him and I was excited to watch the games but now I just want the season to end now.

Also have reservations about his preferred style of play as I just don't see it being effective enough to take points off top 8 teams next season. Bar the stirring comeback v Man. United we really haven't looked likely of beating any of them since he came in which is concerning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It went flat under DS...but he'd been here three years at that point and that tends to be the time it happens for most managers at clubs these days if they make it that far.

There was a good bounce in the early months under him and I was excited to watch the games but now I just want the season to end now.

Also have reservations about his preferred style of play as I just don't see it being effective enough to take points off top 8 teams next season. Bar the stirring comeback v Man. United we really haven't looked likely of beating any of them since he came in which is concerning. 

It went flat more than once. 

It went flat 10 games into DS's reign!

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Based on your hatred for Gerrard rather than any facts … Gerrard is an employee of Aston Villa and though will have a certain degree of autonomy and maybe a larger say than Smith - NSWE will not deviate from their chosen path and set up anytime soon - The statement in the accounts backs this up. 

Edens had previously spoken about data being integral to future decisions on players and youth being integral. And the thing is about data is it takes time to accumulate - and we started from 0.  We aren’t going to rip up 2 years of work and investment just because you think Purslow got his mate in and based on nothing means that work is gunna be tossed aside…

I’m not overly impressed we where we are at present but it’s all very tight and we aren’t that bad a team and won’t keep losing. Gerrard is a work in progress as manager as are we. Regardless of whether Smith stayed this summer, we would’ve always seen a changeover in players to try and get us to the next level and we can see that we are desperate for a new spine with more experience of achieving and playing at a higher level. Experienced doesn’t necessarily mean old either, so any misgivings of Gerrard ‘s supposed chosen strategy  of wanting to add that obvious missing element again just smacks as an agenda against him rather than fact. We have a crop of exciting youngsters whose pathway to the 1st team will be cut off if we buy big money 20-23 yo prospects. 

Fair enough. I hope you are correct.

My downbeat expectation is that we have a different plan since Stevie Gs arrival than the one that lifted us from midtable championship to midtable prem - albeit briefly.

Sure give Gerrard his chance - however if it all goes tits up don't expect an easy route back. 

If we don't pick up at least a point in the next 2 games then he has to go........  I don't think we will lose the next two though but his appointment was a massive gamble and atm it's only a knats cock away from failure. 

One things for sure the owners will not be impressed with our form and watching other teams dig themselves out of certain relegation with improved results while we slump is compounding the issue.

Purslow? 

• Haha 1

Just now, villanmac said:

It went flat 10 games into DS's reign!

It did but we aren't playing the likes of Bolton and Rotherham anymore so it's a bit harder to get a winning run going again when we still have Liverpool and Man. City in the run in.

I want to go into matchdays believing we can beat the likes of West Ham, Wolves and Arsenal next season. We lost very meekly to two of them very recently and since then they've both lost to teams below us in the table so that to me isn't good enough given Gerrard was supposed to be an upgrade in that regard. Instead we were incredibly tepid against Arsenal for 70 minutes and Wolves first half was very poor aswell, both things the manager accepted in the post match interviews.

Gerrard got Nakamba playing like a baller who then got injured and I think that’s forgotten…. Is it Gerrard’s fault Ings/Watkins can’t play together? Injuries to Traore, Bailey, Trezequet, and then El Ghazi lack of form and people complain of lack of width… He’s played Carney, JPB, Iroegbunam and kept faith in Ramsey and had O’Reily in the match day squad - yet apparent Gerrard doesn’t like playing youth 🤔

• Like 1

Another terrible weekend for us.

Sure we haven’t actually played this weekend, but still the results going against us is surely Gerrard’s fault?

What makes me really angry is that the season hasn’t finished yet, and there are a lot of teams that can finish above us on the assumption that we won’t take another point. That makes me really angry! And worried! And also angry! 

Thanks for ruining my weekend Steven Gerrard!! Grrrrr!!!!

• Like 2

Gerrard is doing worse Dean did last season...With a better squad. His current ppg is 1.3 and Smith's was 1.44. I'm not seeing anything that suggests he is going to be an improvement in the long term but would be ecstatic to be proven wrong. Gerrard blames everyone but himself and his tactics and its worrying that he is not aware enough of his own failings to improve. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

I have a big concern that Gerrard had been here few only a few weeks before the rumours of him wanting a new left back started to surface. That's hardly giving anyone a good chance to show their worth.

He might be a success but I hope and pray that Purslow and Lange will have a good handle on who he brings in and on what contract values 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Gerrard got Nakamba playing like a baller who then got injured and I think that’s forgotten…. Is it Gerrard’s fault Ings/Watkins can’t play together? Injuries to Traore, Bailey, Trezequet, and then El Ghazi lack of form and people complain of lack of width… He’s played Carney, JPB, Iroegbunam and kept faith in Ramsey and had O’Reily in the match day squad - yet apparent Gerrard doesn’t like playing youth 🤔

Gerrard is ultimately accountable for the results of the first team. He holds a senior position at the club - which is a multi million pound business.

"It's not my fault'" won't cut it at that level.

Tbf Gerrard does often say the results are "on him" 

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I have a big concern that Gerrard had been here few only a few weeks before the rumours of him wanting a new left back started to surface. That's hardly giving anyone a good chance to show their worth.

He might be a success but I hope and pray that Purslow and Lange will have a good handle on who he brings in and on what contract values 

Yes agreed.

Thing is I'm not sure how well Stevie G will react to having his powers trimmed.

Time will tell 

It could be worse we could have played Liverpool this weekend, got thrashed and had to deal with all the media delight at Gerrard assisting Liverpool in their title chase (and quite possibly the secret delight of our entire management team).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

You equate a degree of controversy to the appointment to being a 'laughing stock'? Talk about hyperbole.

The likelihood is that we'll be average and then awful and maybe okay again in the remaining games and he'll be here next season having spent quite a bit of money. I think most of all I dread the flatness of this season continuing into the next and that hard won connection between club and fans over the last 3 seasons dissipating once more. And also that it looks as though we're back to making shit decisions as a club, which started with the sacking of the previous manager.

That's it for me. Best case scenario upper mid table playing mostly that dour narrow formation.

Â