Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Since the last manager was sacked for losing 5 in a row. I assume if we lose to Leicester he has to go 

We have a 2 week break I seriously hope the board are making a shortlist 

• Haha 1

What could be interesting is seeing if Nakamba makes a difference in the next weeks, assuming he’s going to be starting after Gerrards comments. We looked so much better with him in the team before the injury. If he can help solidify us in the middle of it’ll give me more hope that there actually is potential in how we’re being set up. Especially with the fact we’ll likely upgrade nakamba in the summer 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I looked at our team yesterday with 9 all in their prime full internationals starting (seven of them for Brazil, England, Argentina and France) and I thought this is a very good team. For 45 mins they showed it on the pitch and not just on paper. Bottom line is though they haven't shown it on the pitch anywhere near enough. For me 26 points from 20 games under Gerrard isn't getting enough from this squad just as 10 points from 11 games under Smith wasn't. Lets also remember in addition to what Smith had Gerrard has brought in one of the best left backs in the league and one of the most expensive footballers of all time.

I think this is a big 7 games till the end of the season for Gerrard. If 4 defeats on the bounce becomes 5, 6 ,7 defeats or we end the season with 8 or 9 defeats from our last 11 games then you'd have to question whether the answer is to give Gerrard 100 mill plus, and Christ knows what in wages, to bring in the 3 or 4 proven players he has alluded to. 

We certainly do need 3 or 4 proven quality players with a winners mentality to influence those around them. The rest of this season will tell us how much confidence we should have in Gerrard to not only bring them in, in fact that may be the easy part, but then get the best out of them and the rest of the squad. So far under him bringing players in has been easy (money and a big name can do that) it is the important part of getting the best out of the squad where you'd have to say so far he has failed in as there has been very little, if any, consistent improvement since he came in other than the initial new manager bounce.

Thing is end of season form is notoriously unpredictable. Some teams on the beach - so saving themselves for cup finals - some  throwing the kitchen sink at survival.

Personally I think whole swathes of our players suffering a nose dive in form has to be taken into account.

Edited by hippo

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What could be interesting is seeing if Nakamba makes a difference in the next weeks, assuming he’s going to be starting after Gerrards comments. We looked so much better with him in the team before the injury. If he can help solidify us in the middle of it’ll give me more hope that there actually is potential in how we’re being set up. Especially with the fact we’ll likely upgrade nakamba in the summer 

When Nkamba is your get out of jail card you know you are in deep shite !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From my calculations:

Deano in 2021 (the year he is widely criticised for) had a PPG of 1.17

Gerrard has a PPG of 1.23

Across a season that's a 2 point difference, and Deano definitely had a worse squad to work with.  

I loved Deano, but he didn't really have a worse squad when Jack was fit, because of how good and influential he was.

It was a pretty similar group, and he'd had them long enough to embed a style (albeit one which relied on Jack).

What I would say about Dean is that I think he created a very positive atmosphere around the club. 

Maybe he was a bit too easy on the players at times, but generally in life people perform best when they feel good and have confidence.

The focus we have now on individual responsibility and high standards is a different approach, I'm not personally convinced it's a better approach, but let's see.

Gerrard is laying a marker down to the players about who really wants it enough to push into the top 7. 

I think this season that's OK, but next season it's on him, no excuses, he'll have had two windows and a pre-season at that point so questioning the players isn't really going to cut it.

Jury is very much out on Gerrard but we have to give him time. I was encouraged by the performance yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I loved Deano, but 1)he didn't really have a worse squad when Jack was fit, because of how good and influential he was.

It was a pretty similar group, and he'd had them long enough to embed a style (albeit one which relied on Jack).

What I would say about Dean is that I think he created a very positive atmosphere around the club. 

Maybe he was a bit too easy on the players at times, but generally in life people perform best when they feel good and have confidence.

The focus we have now on individual responsibility and high standards is a different approach, 2)I'm not personally convinced it's a better approach, but let's see.

Gerrard is laying a marker down to the players about who really wants it enough to push into the top 7. 

I think this season that's OK, but next season it's on him, no excuses, he'll have had two windows and a pre-season at that point so questioning the players isn't really going to cut it.

Jury is very much out on Gerrard but 3)we have to give him time. I was encouraged by the performance yesterday. 

(numbered due to ease)

1) You could argue that was down to Deano's use of him. There's no doubt that the squad was worse, though. Just go and compare them. Gerrard has much more available to him. 

2) Given that it gets less out of players, on the whole, I think it's almost certainly worse. 

3) Why do we? If he's not cutting it and doesn't show us that he's worth backing by the end of the season, why should we endure it further? 

One common argument for sacking Smith was that 'you need to be ruthless sometimes' - why wouldn't that then be applied to Gerrard? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

(numbered due to ease)

1) You could argue that was down to Deano's use of him. There's no doubt that the squad was worse, though. Just go and compare them. Gerrard has much more available to him. 

2) Given that it gets less out of players, on the whole, I think it's almost certainly worse. 

3) Why do we? If he's not cutting it and doesn't show us that he's worth backing by the end of the season, why should we endure it further? 

One common argument for sacking Smith was that 'you need to be ruthless sometimes' - why wouldn't that then be applied to Gerrard? 

Cos Smith was given a whole year of poor results to turn it around? Gerrards only 5 months in…. 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Cos Smith was given a whole year of poor results to turn it around? Gerrards only 5 months in…. 

And he has looked clueless. Smith at least earned his time to try turn it around 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

And he has looked clueless. Smith at least earned his time to try turn it around 

I can honestly understand your point of view. However I’m not quite there yet. That will come probably 10 games into the new season if things have not dramatically improved assuming he gets what he wants in the summer. The only caveat I would add to this Is that I’m scared to death of what he will do in the summer, If he gets it badly wrong it could set us back  years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I can honestly understand your point of view. However I’m not quite there yet. That will come probably 10 games into the new season if things have not dramatically improved assuming he gets what he wants in the summer. The only caveat I would add to this Is that I’m scared to death of what he will do in the summer, If he gets it badly wrong it could set us back  years

For me thats the problem giving him 10 games next season. Its best to remove him now and get in a real manager from the summer 

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Exactly this. There’s no basis, proven pedigree or track record of him doing what we need this summer in a competitive league. If our players are as bad as he says they are (which I don’t necessarily believe) then it’s going to be a huge job, and I think it’s fair to question his credentials for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

From my calculations:

Deano in 2021 (the year he is widely criticised for) had a PPG of 1.17

Gerrard has a PPG of 1.23

Across a season that's a 2 point difference, and Deano definitely had a worse squad to work with.  

Well it was HIS squad,.so.

And ... The other hasn't even been here a season. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Â