Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be honest after this game I can see where you are coming from.

May have been a little early to jump on the bandwagon.

We'll see how we look the coming weeks but today for me was disappointing. Hope this is not the approach Gerrard is going for whenever we play the big sides.

Seriously ???

We've been ultra defensive in every game under Stevie G.

He's made a great start as villa boss - 2 narrow defeats against the top 4 sides - and 3 victories - more then we hoped for tbh.

But by and large we have conceeded play and hit teams on the counter. Nowt wrong with that for steadying a chaotic ship. But let's kid ourselves it's been a stylish Renaissance ..imo it hasn't.

Going to Anfield with 11 men behind the ball was never going to work. It got closer than it should have. But Stevie G is a novice in terms of PL management - up against a well funded elite coach. Hopefully he will learn from today.

18 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Not sure where to post this but in the last 3 games our opponents have committed 50 fouls and received 2 bookings. We've committed 22 fouls and received 3. 

I know Gerrard has highlighted the penalty shouts today. but I would love him to get round to this too. The fact Leicester and Liverpool received just one yellow card each in those last two games is an embarrassment, even to the closed cartel of PL refs. Ignoring everything that went before (such as Ramsey being chopped down twice when breaking down the left and the van Dijk elbow on Young) Sanson was practically launched into space by Milner in injury time. I can only imagine Stuart Atwell was simply bored by that point. Done his job and thinking about dinner.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Seriously ???

We've been ultra defensive in every game under Stevie G.

He's made a great start as villa boss - 2 narrow defeats against the top 4 sides - and 3 victories - more then we hoped for tbh.

But by and large we have conceeded play and hit teams on the counter. Nowt wrong with that for steadying a chaotic ship. But let's kid ourselves it's been a stylish Renaissance ..imo it hasn't.

Going to Anfield with 11 men behind the ball was never going to work. It got closer than it should have. But Stevie G is a novice in terms of PL management - up against a well funded elite coach. Hopefully he will learn from today.

There's being defensive, then there is parking the bus/adopting damage limitation tactics.

We were like a hare running from a pack of wolves today.

It was inevitable they were going to win. Too much sustained pressure, it was always gonna happen. Said so at half time.

No I did not like what I saw today and I'm proud enough to stand by my opinion. If this will be his approach in the big games that's a massive problem for me.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There's being defensive, then there is parking the bus/adopting damage limitation tactics.

It was inevitable they were going to win. Too much sustained pressure, it was always gonna happen. Said so at half time.

No I did not like what I saw today and I'm proud enough to stand by my opinion. If this will be his approach in the big games that's a massive problem for me.

What does pride come before?

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes couldn't agree more. We were doomed at 2pm when the line up was announced imo.

But Stevie G is very much a rookie manager and was up against the finished article in Klopp. There was nothing more certain than a home win today. Hopefully SG learns from this. My concern isn't today - it's how defensive we have been in the games since SG has taken over. Sure in the short term it's bagged a healthy 9 points. But are we really going anywhere ? Not convinced (imo of course)

Edited by hippo

With Liverpool in their best form, a full house and the prodigal son returning.....that was always going to be a difficult, ask.

SG was right, the gulf in class was there to see and no manager in world football can negate that, bar sheer luck.

Having said all that.....if Mo Salah's Penalty was not given and he played for it IMO and Ings's foul by Allison was given, we could have won that......that is how close we came...despite Liverpools huffing & Puffing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

To be honest after this game I can see where you are coming from.

May have been a little early to jump on the bandwagon.

We'll see how we look the coming weeks but today for me was disappointing. Hope this is not the approach Gerrard is going for whenever we play the big sides.

Yes let’s go try and go toe toe with them like Arsenal did and  lose 4-0? Or Man U and lose 5-0? We nearly got a point we would have if it wasn’t for the ref

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anybody else just quietly repeating this to themselves :

" Do not engage "

" Do not engage "

" Do not engage "

There is a handy dandy ignore function that in theory takes care of this for you. Unfortunately the garbage is quoted every other **** post so I've still got rsi in my retina from **** rolling my eyes so many times.

Imo the site would be significantly better if the ignore function can be expanded to ignore any post that quotes someone on your list.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

With Liverpool in their best form, a full house and the prodigal son returning.....that was always going to be a difficult, ask.

SG was right, the gulf in class was there to see and no manager in world football can negate that, bar sheer luck.

Having said all that.....if Mo Salah's Penalty was not given and he played for it IMO and Ings's foul by Allison was given, we could have won that......that is how close we came...despite Liverpools huffing & Puffing.

I think you are being overly kind. An Emi masterclass kept us In the game ...any other keeper Liverpool would have been out out of sight by half time.

You can't play in your own half for 90 minutes and expect a point. Hopefully Stevie G learned that today.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes let’s go try and go toe toe with them like Arsenal did and  lose 4-0? Or Man U and lose 5-0? We nearly got a point we would have if it wasn’t for the ref

But we didn't nearly get a point. We couldn't get out of our own half. Emi made the score look respectable.

We didn't get near Liverpool today.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Let's just give up then and just adopt damage limitation tactics against opposition we deem superior. Like we did under Lambert. 

I expect us to have more of a go. 

You are right and we did against Man City. Today it was overly cautious perhaps, but hindsight is a glorious thing. I'm sure Gerrard will want to take the fight to the opposition in future, but it didn't happen today. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yes couldn't agree. We were doomed at 2pm when the line up was announced imo.

But Stevie G is very much a rookie manager and was up against the finished article in Klopp. There was nothing more certain than a home win today. Hopefully SG learns from this. My concern isn't today - it's how defensive we have been in the games since SG has taken over. Sure in the short term it's bagged a healthy 9 points. But are we really going anywhere ? Not convinced (imo of course)

If you think we are going to go gung ho against these top teams and climb the table, with our squad.....think again.

He has been in the job, 5 minutes.....The players haven't had time to digest all that is being said and even then, some will have to be replaced....We are not equipped just yet to take on the top sides, damage limitation, was a sensible option IMV.

I thought it was a sensible approach......stay in the game for an hour and then try to get something from the game, which is what we tried to do, and nearly did.

Man U tried to go toe to toe and got mullered at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you think we have a squad/first 11 good enough, at this stage of our development to have an all out slugfest with the likes of Man City and Liverpool in their current, respective forms?

Do you think this would be the " approach " and/or gameplan if we did?

Do you think after 5 games, the Manager has had enough time to establish his imprint/playing style on the team/squad, exactly how he wants it?

There are better teams than us, which go to these groundd with " containment " and/or " smash and grab ' type plans.

This is the same team which just lost 5 in a row, looking chaotic.

I'm not sure what kind of miracle some people are expecting.

There are so many obvious, and different elements at play here, it's bizarre that some of our owns fans aren't considering them.

If you listen to Gerrard's own comments, and thoughts, it's stated in black and white what the plan was.

Also lamented if he/we should/could have done more. But again, ultimately, he is FIVE game sinto his tenure, we've won 3 out of 5, with the only losses being against the top 2 in the League and Europe.

He is learning about his squad, they are slowly getting to full fitness, and he is slowly working out his best lineup.

If I felt there was cause for concern, and no encouragement, I'd definitely say it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

If you think we are going to go gung ho against these top teams and climb the table, with our squad.....think again.

He has been in the job, 5 minutes.....The players haven't had time to digest all that is being said and even then, some will have to be replaced....We are not equipped just yet to take on the top sides, damage limitation, was a sensible option IMV.

I thought it was a sensible approach......stay in the game for an hour and then try to get something from the game, which is what we tried to do, and nearly did.

Man U tried to go toe to toe and got mullered at home.

"Stay in the game for an hour" is doing some heavy lifting there.

Liverpool had us on the ropes after 20 minutes. It was just how long EMis brilliance could keep them at bay.

No disgrace about today. Stevie G has lots to learn - I'm sure he knows that. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think you are being overly kind. An Emi masterclass kept us In the game ...any other keeper Liverpool would have been out out of sight by half time.

You can't play in your own half for 90 minutes and expect a point. Hopefully Stevie G learned that today.

He didn't expect to do that....He expected to stay in the game for an Hour and then have a go....and it could have worked....Ings should have had a penalty.

We are not equipped to take on Liverpool in this form, for 90 minutes.....its called knowing your limitations and acting accordingly.

At the end of the game, SG looked the most disappointed man in the ground.

SG will be learning all the time, he will tell you that himself.....Tuesdays game won't be a walk in the park either or the Burnley Game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We didn't set out to just sit back. Like Steve said in this, sometimes the opposition just force it upon you. 

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I assume it's with one of those foreign channels. 

Gerrard makes a nice little dig at Michael Owen too which is always fun. 

Gerrard part starts at 6:58 or 7 mins. Whatever. 

• Like 1

Â