Christmas 2021

sidcow

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Thus was exactly my routine - my Mom would be still up prepping dinner when I rolled in pissed at 3 am or so. That stopped with marriage and kids, but what still happens is the (slow, steady) all day drinking on Xmas day. At home, though, never been to the pub on the day. And music on all day - the pop stuff I like, but none of the ones I hate, plus carols and Handel's Messiah. 

The last Xmas Eve I went out was when the missus was pregnant with our first. She was only a few months, mind, but it caused no end of aggro, and I’ve never bothered since. The other year I overdid it with the JD on  Xmas Eve and woke up a bit rough Xmas day. I just don’t drink Xmas Eve night now at all. Xmas day is varied. Sometimes I’ll drink a bit but usually stop by 7-8 at night and other times I won’t bother having a drink at all.  The missus has brought in a new rule now anyway, which is not to drink around the kids, so that’s put an end to that. I’m not one for drinking in the house as I’ve mentioned but she likes a drink in the house and now waits until the little uns are in bed. It’s a pain in the arse, but it’s working and has sorted out a few issues that needed sorting . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

What’s those films you always see on the TV at Christmas but at like midnight when back from the boozer?  For me:

Steptoe & Son Ride Again, Weird Science, Under Siege 2, Highlander, Stand By Me.

Steptoe & Son Ride Again or The Rising Damp film version 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

What’s those films you always see on the TV at Christmas but at like midnight when back from the boozer?  For me:

Steptoe & Son Ride Again, Weird Science, Under Siege 2, Highlander, Stand By Me.

Maybe not midnight, but Gremlins is a great Christmas movie. 

Quite dark and scary for a kids film, isn't it? 

• Thanks 1

At the risk of repeating myself from previous years, I have only three must-see Xmas films: "It's a Wonderful Life", "The Muppets' Christmas Carol", and Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander".  

EDIT: Not forgetting the supporting children's features, Raymond Briggs' "The Snowman" and "Father Christmas". Probably now joined by "Stick Man". 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What’s that film from the 80s with those big scary plants . Little shop of horrors or something like that .,

Yeah, Little Shop of Horrors from 1986, with Rick Moranis I think? Haven’t seen that in a long time. 

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Yeah, Little Shop of Horrors from 1986, with Rick Moranis I think? Haven’t seen that in a long time. 

Yeah it’s been decades since I last seen it and I’ve never seen it advertised that it’s on tv either. I’ll try and dig that one out over Xmas I think. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

At the risk of repeating myself from previous years, I have only three must-see Xmas films: "It's a Wonderful Life", "The Muppets' Christmas Carol", and Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander".  

EDIT: Not forgetting the supporting children's features, Raymond Briggs' "The Snowman" and "Father Christmas". Probably now joined by "Stick Man". 

Watched Klaus this morning, thought it was brilliant 

So far I'm both home alones, miracle on 34th Street and Arthur Christmas, that leaves me elf, muppets and national lampoon left to go, the latter will be 23rd/24th 

• Like 1

If it’s on, I’ll probably end up watching some of “The Bridge on the River Kwai”. It’s one of those that I’ll start watching at any point during the film, 20 minutes in, 45 minutes in, whenever.

These days I find myself more engaged with and rooting for William Holden’s character than Alec Guinness’ character.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Great pastime was circling the films you’d watch over the Christmas period in the Radio Times etc.  

Ha I used to do this - As soon as we got the Radio Times and TV times I would go through and  circle everything I wanted to see. Then I'd work out what I'd have to record and watch the other side if they clashed. It was an operation that required military precision!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watched Klaus this morning, thought it was brilliant 

So far I'm both home alones, miracle on 34th Street and Arthur Christmas, that leaves me elf, muppets and national lampoon left to go, the latter will be 23rd/24th 

All good, will be watching Klaus at some point.

One I really like that no one else seems to is Trapped in paradise 1994, Nic Cage, Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey as 3 idiotic brothers robbing a bank. Its on Disney.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Last time I watched IAWL there are some very, let's say, non-pc scenes. Black house servants? I know it's from a different era but some of it is cringeworthy.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Ha I used to do this - As soon as we got the Radio Times and TV times I would go through and  circle everything I wanted to see. Then I'd work out what I'd have to record and watch the other side if they clashed. It was an operation that required military precision!

Ha, forgot about this, same here until we got VHS in another room, we were big shots.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Oh yes, I remember us as a family watching something like Clash of the Titans and then recording Splash for later on. Eating nuts and chocolate selection packs! 

My mom and dad would buy a new 4 pack of VHS tapes to record films but usually my mom would put a sticker on one of them saying “Moms tape - do not use” and fill it with Eastenders and Neighbours 😄

• Like 2