Energy Bills

Genie

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

My Gas & Elec went up about 25% in May due to the war in Ukraine impacting the supply and thus cost of gas. However, my standing charge also went up 25% which is a complete rip off

Exactly. This is the type of shit our non-existent government should be doing something about.

The suppliers need to be hauled in front of MP’s and asked to explain themselves.

Of course they won’t. 

Energy price cap rose today to £3549. 

I cannot understand why Truss or Sunak haven't come up with a package to help with the price rises. Surely it would be a huge advantage to there campaign. 

I guessing at the moment they have no idea what the plan is.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I cannot understand why Truss or Sunak haven't come up with a package to help with the price rises. Surely it would be a huge advantage to there campaign. 

Truss is gonna save about 50p a month in green levy.

I think Sunak said he’d cut the VAT but maybe I got that wrong. Either way it’s not going to be enough. The need to get £2,000 out of the £3,500 bill at least.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm *hoping* they were waiting for confirmation on what the CAP definitely was before coming up with support packages.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm *hoping* they were waiting for confirmation on what the CAP definitely was before coming up with support packages.

Thats what im hoping.

Cant see how families are going to be able to afford holidays or any other luxuries with these rising costs.

Furthermore i think your going to see crime go up as people will be desperate as they cant pay their bills

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats what im hoping.

Cant see how families are going to be able to afford holidays or any other luxuries with these rising costs.

Furthermore i think your going to see crime go up as people will be desperate as they cant pay their bills

I don’t think people will afford the basic costs of heating, clothing and food. Absolutely no chance of holidays and luxurious.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Exactly. This is the type of shit our non-existent government should be doing something about.

The suppliers need to be hauled in front of MP’s and asked to explain themselves.

Of course they won’t. 

It’s not the suppliers who did that, it’s the guvmint/ofgen. The standing charge going up (and it’s the same for all suppliers) was not the suppliers decision, it was done to spread the load between all customers, of the costs of the ones like bulb etc. who went bust.
Theres no excuse to increase the standing charges further, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're so ****. So many sectors are going to be close to complete collapse over the next few months, as even if businesses can afford the energy prices (keep in mind the cap is only for residential properties), everybody is tightening their pursestrings.

I think the next few months will make 2008 look like a blip

• Like 2

Short term they should link the help to the outside temperature/ weather. But they also should be providing people with blankets , hats and other winter wear now while they have chance and while demand is low globally. If the price rises more then we will have to endure power cuts and the gas being turned off. 

Long term the thing to do would be insulate people's homes. The real problem with energy production is storage, the UK needs to embrace the battery market both on developing and production of them. If we could get cheaper batteries it would open up a whole new area for solar, wind and off peak storage of energy. They need to invest in our future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

It’s not the suppliers who did that, it’s the guvmint/ofgen. The standing charge going up (and it’s the same for all suppliers) was not the suppliers decision, it was done to spread the load between all customers, of the costs of the ones like bulb etc. who went bust.
Theres no excuse to increase the standing charges further, though.

Ofgem also insisted on the period to recoup the cost of the failed suppliers being 12 months rather than easing the burden over a few years.

Comes to about £150 per household this year, I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We're so ****. So many sectors are going to be close to complete collapse over the next few months, as even if businesses can afford the energy prices (keep in mind the cap is only for residential properties), everybody is tightening their pursestrings.

I think the next few months will make 2008 look like a blip

I was reading yesterday that Fish and Chip shops are in big trouble. As well as inflation on wages and the food they buy, energy costs applied to their fryers are going to make the food extremely expensive.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Short term they should link the help to the outside temperature/ weather. But they also should be providing people with blankets , hats and other winter wear now while they have chance and while demand is low globally. If the price rises more then we will have to endure power cuts and the gas being turned off. 

Long term the thing to do would be insulate people's homes. The real problem with energy production is storage, the UK needs to embrace the battery market both on developing and production of them. If we could get cheaper batteries it would open up a whole new area for solar, wind and off peak storage of energy. They need to invest in our future. 

I agree with all of the above but surely the priority needs to be the wholesale price calculation. 
All it is doing currently is funnelling 10’s of billions of dollars into the pockets of a handful of businesses. 

Yes, costs need to go up for obvious reasons, but there needs to be a better balance than what we have.

Just now, Genie said:

I was reading yesterday that Fish and Chip shops are in big trouble. As well as inflation on wages and the food they buy, energy costs applied to their fryers are going to make the food extremely expensive.

The prices of m’fish, chips and gravy have rocketed I’ve noticed.  My Friday treat is now a tenner, up from £7.45. 

Just now, blandy said:

The prices of m’fish, chips and gravy have rocketed I’ve noticed.  My Friday treat is now a tenner, up from £7.45. 

If I went to get food for the 4 of us it was previously between £10-12 ballpark. When I went last week it was nearly £19.

I could get McDonalds (which the children much prefer) which includes drinks for a couple of quid more.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I agree with all of the above but surely the priority needs to be the wholesale price calculation. 
All it is doing currently is funnelling 10’s of billions of dollars into the pockets of a handful of businesses. 

Yes, costs need to go up for obvious reasons, but there needs to be a better balance than what we have.

The wholesale price is outside of guvmint control. Gas prices are set by the European gas marketplace. Suppliers have to go to that market, either each day and secure their supply at whatever price it is that day, or go to it and hedge say 6 months at x price.

guvmint could tax the uk gas drillers much more and use that money to offset peoples bills, but they can’t do anything about the market price of gas or oil

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blandy said:

The wholesale price is outside of guvmint control. Gas prices are set by the European gas marketplace. Suppliers have to go to that market, either each day and secure their supply at whatever price it is that day, or go to it and hedge say 6 months at x price.

guvmint could tax the uk gas drillers much more and use that money to offset peoples bills, but they can’t do anything about the market price of gas or oil

You may still be right, but I was thinking more of a worldwide or European wide leader collective to address the wholesale price calculation. I appreciate that the UK government have little sway on their own.

Realistically it’s taxing the mega profits isn’t it. Its staring us in the face. I know it comes with its own challenges and ethical questions about a free economy but this is much bigger than that. We can argue about it whilst still alive and have eaten.

Sorry guys, were taxing the £20b profit down to £5b otherwise all your customers are going to go bankrupt or die. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

You may still be right, but I was thinking more of a worldwide or European wide leader collective to address the wholesale price calculation. I appreciate that the UK government have little sway on their own.

Realistically it’s taxing the mega profits isn’t it. Its staring us in the face. I know it comes with its own challenges and ethical questions about a free economy but this is much bigger than that. We can argue about it whilst still alive and have eaten.

Sorry guys, were taxing the £20b profit down to £5b otherwise all your customers are going to go bankrupt or die. 

But what about the pay rises for the BP and Shell big boys next year?

Â