Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

There are obviously a few club exceptions but I always laugh when people talk about Anfield like that, even Klopp has commented about it before, even recently 

Pleased I made you laugh.

• Like 1

Gonna get slated for this but fans were utterly sh** last night. We were still in the game for a long period. Can't complain about costs when tickets are £20. Just don't get how absolutely flat it was.

Do think the tannoy blasting hardly helps and the very unauthentic pre-game build-up really irks, but it's really annoying when we just can't seem to muster any real energy as fans when we concede a goal or even two. It happens in football but you can turn it around. It's only consolidated our slow starts recently imo.

Happy to be told "the players need to get us to sing" but I'll never agree with you.

• Like 1

The old excuse of “well give us something to sing about” well Villa did when we went on that unbelievable home run , and it was still shit most of time.  No doubt the same at most grounds but yeah it’s pretty shit at Villa majority of the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Gonna get slated for this but fans were utterly sh** last night. We were still in the game for a long period. Can't complain about costs when tickets are £20. Just don't get how absolutely flat it was.

Do think the tannoy blasting hardly helps and the very unauthentic pre-game build-up really irks, but it's really annoying when we just can't seem to muster any real energy as fans when we concede a goal or even two. It happens in football but you can turn it around. It's only consolidated our slow starts recently imo.

Happy to be told "the players need to get us to sing" but I'll never agree with you.

I have to agree for once, the atmosphere was poor last night, myself included.  We started ok with quite a few chants in the Holte but quickly faded.  

I’m a season ticket holder in an area where I recognise everybody even if I don’t know the people personally and last night 80-90% of the regulars weren’t there and it was people I’d never seen before, did others on here get that in other areas of the ground?

The reasons for myself, just very tired and a bit unwell but couldn’t be bothered last night and that’s not like me.  Then when the team were pretty much awful and Chelsea were really good it obviously didn’t change my mood.  

Very odd night.  The players couldn’t get the fans going and the fans couldn’t get the players going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The old excuse of “well give us something to sing about” well Villa did when we went on that unbelievable home run , and it was still shit most of time.  No doubt the same at most grounds but yeah it’s pretty shit at Villa majority of the time. 

ITs definitely something ive noticed. Kinda across the board to be fair, even when we go away games most home crowds are quieter, post covid, post VAR. **** knows.

Spurs / Newcastle who are kinda similar position but seem like at atmosphere… but thats from social media not going to random games so who knows. 

5 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

To be fair, it was a cup replay on a cold midweek night, arranged at short notice and then we went 1-0 down after 11 minutes, and it was clear after that point the players had one eye on the next game. I didn’t think the atmosphere was too bad, considering the circumstances 

8 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

To be fair, it was a cup replay on a cold midweek night, arranged at short notice and then we went 1-0 down after 11 minutes, and it was clear after that point the players had one eye on the next game. I didn’t think the atmosphere was too bad, considering the circumstances 

It's our first meaningful cup game in nearly a decade under the lights. If people can't get up for a sold-out FA Cup game against decent opposition then they ain't getting up for anything.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

It's our first meaningful cup game in nearly a decade under the lights. If people can't get up for a sold-out FA Cup game against decent opposition then they ain't getting up for anything.

It looked far from sell out.  What was the crowd in the end?  I was looking around the ground early into the match and could see empty seats.

As for getting up for a FA Cup game, who knows!  It’s an early round, we seem to be focusing on the league and probably Europe, both from Emery’s comments and by a lot of the fans.  

The fact from my seat so many regulars weren’t at the game in my area of the Holte End despite the low ticket cost says a lot about how us fans were thinking about the priority of the game in comparison to the other competitions.  The FA Cup just seems to have lost its charm and the fact we haven’t done well in it for 8 years as well.

Edited by nick76

5 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I think you might be aiming that at the wrong group.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I have to agree for once, the atmosphere was poor last night, myself included.  We started ok with quite a few chants in the Holte but quickly faded.  

I’m a season ticket holder in an area where I recognise everybody even if I don’t know the people personally and last night 80-90% of the regulars weren’t there and it was people I’d never seen before, did others on here get that in other areas of the ground?

The reasons for myself, just very tired and a bit unwell but couldn’t be bothered last night and that’s not like me.  Then when the team were pretty much awful and Chelsea were really good it obviously didn’t change my mood.  

Very odd night.  The players couldn’t get the fans going and the fans couldn’t get the players going.

Me too, season ticket holder, who didn't go.

I am seeing things, I don't want to see, so I felt, I was more help, not going. I don't want to spoil other folks fun, so I stayed away......Sadly, I could see that coming, and it wouldn't surprise me, if we see the same again on Sunday.

That kind of display, did not get us to where we are in the league, so its very much form.......but it really is a dip, in certain aspects of the game, like competing.

We seem to think, we can just turn up, and let the football flow.............errrrrrrrrrrr, No....competing for the ball, is usually pretty nifty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

The reasons for myself, just very tired and a bit unwell but couldn’t be bothered last night and that’s not like me. 

Probably a hot take, butI've never really understood the criticism of atmosphere, you showed up and that makes you 'bothered'.

I know a few people who don't miss a game. But they're quiet, they don't sing or anything. Doesn't make them any less of a fan and they have as much right to be there as anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Probably a hot take, butI've never really understood the criticism of atmosphere, you showed up and that makes you 'bothered'.

I know a few people who don't miss a game. But they're quiet, they don't sing or anything. Doesn't make them any less of a fan and they have as much right to be there as anyone.

I agree, when I first went to Villa it was not only standing but less ‘family orientated’ than the modern supporter fan base plus the more vocal stood together.  These elements contributed to more atmosphere beforehand.  I think we aren’t much different to other clubs mostly and I’ve been to a lot of grounds.  The fan support is different these days for number of reasons from the standing, the modern type of fan attracted to football, the cost, the availability of football from other means like Sky, the times changing constantly, the cost of living.  We’ve heard Klopp complaining about Liverpool recently as I posted a few pages back, Pep has complained about the City and so on.  Yep, fans who put themselves out to go to games regularly shouldn’t be criticised sometimes for the atmosphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

It looked far from sell out.  What was the crowd in the end?  I was looking around the ground early into the match and could see empty seats.

The attendance was 40,013. From where I was in the Holte looking around the only area of really noticeable empty seats was the centre of the Trinity Road and the first 3 or 4 rows of the upper north which were netted off.

As for the atmosphere I actually thought it was fine and even at 3 down the crowd were getting right behind the players which I think helped in that we did keep pushing including getting the late goal. Those that were still there at the end, which was still a decent amount, clapped the players off and Watkins, Emi, McGinn and Lenglet I remember all coming up to the Holte at the end.

I think we give ourselves a hard time sometimes. Bottom line is that we were 1 down early and I remember the crowd reacting and chanting before we had even kicked off to re start the game, but then we were quickly 2 down. Then you hope for a rally kicking towards the Holte in the second half to find ourselves 3 down early in that half. What happens on the pitch obviously hugely affects crowd reaction. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

As for getting up for a FA Cup game, who knows!  It’s an early round, we seem to be focusing on the league and probably Europe, both from Emery’s comments and by a lot of the fans.  

The fact from my seat so many regulars weren’t at the game in my area of the Holte End despite the low ticket cost says a lot about how us fans were thinking about the priority of the game in comparison to the other competitions.  The FA Cup just seems to have lost its charm and the fact we haven’t done well in it for 8 years as well.

full capacity would have been slightly less than usual because of the first few rows upper north netted off . The ground looked pretty full apart from hospitality areas .

• Like 1

Atmosphere seemed ok at first then quickly went downhill once the players for some reason or another looked half arsed after go 1 down. There were moments in second half where it got better but that coincided with a decent spell for us although the game was gone by this point . 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The attendance was 40,013. From where I was in the Holte looking around the only area of really noticeable empty seats was the centre of the Trinity Road and the first 3 or 4 rows of the upper north which were netted off.

As for the atmosphere I actually thought it was fine and even at 3 down the crowd were getting right behind the players which I think helped in that we did keep pushing including getting the late goal. Those that were still there at the end, which was still a decent amount, clapped the players off and Watkins, Emi, McGinn and Lenglet I remember all coming up to the Holte at the end.

I think we give ourselves a hard time sometimes. Bottom line is that we were 1 down early and I remember the crowd reacting and chanting before we had even kicked off to re start the game, but then we were quickly 2 down. Then you hope for a rally kicking towards the Holte in the second half to find ourselves 3 down early in that half. What happens on the pitch obviously hugely affects crowd reaction. 

It does....and in any ground....even the Geordie roar, went quieter during the 4-4 with Luton.

I think there is a difference between losing and fighting for every ball......and passive play, where the reluctance to stop marauding runners, or closing down, goes amiss.

The villa crowd has always supported a trier....and I think that is still the case.

The last few games, we can't drag the crowd in to the criticism...I watched it on the Telly and heard the Chelsea fans were up for it, because, their team was. its synergistic.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 games in a row we have not competed as we should and can. After being in the tie until the end of every single home game since Emery joined bar Leicester, and even then we went ahead . 

Its a shock to the system. A realisation that we maybe arent as good as we thought we were. Last night is not on the fans. If we had had a proper go at Chelsea in the second half and raised our game the crowd would have followed. 

But we played like the opposite. We only came into it once Chelsea had switched off a bit. 

Wierd it was. Sometimes at 3 nil down the idea to get it forward quickly and into the box isnt the worst idea.  Our system wasnt working so it was time for plan B . 

• Like 2

The Chelsea game wasn't on the fans

The atmosphere vs Newcastle was piss poor though 

Will be interesting to see what the nerves are like vs utd, got a feeling we're going to be our own worst enemy but one of emery's biggest strengths imo has been this team is nowhere near as nervous as it's fanbase 

Â