Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Still the odd moans and groans when we passed it backwards/sideways. One lad a couple of rows in front of me couldn't understand how we managed to go from the edge of the Palace box back to Mings a couple of times, and was very vocal in his frustrations. 'FORWARD, THEYRE DOWN TO TEN MEN!' And 'HIT IT LONG!'

Surely people must realise that ball retention is Unais plan? 

I bit and countered him with a very loud 'NICE VILLA, NIIICCEEE! KEEP THE BALL!' every time we did it. But I'm sad like that😁

It's a generation thing I think. Older fans seem to want long balls and lots of running and low risk possession.

Younger people are happy to see the team try and manoeuvre the opposition around from the back to make space and attack through.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's a generation thing I think. Older fans seem to want long balls and lots of running and low risk possession.

Younger people are happy to see the team try and manoeuvre the opposition around from the back to make space and attack through.

It's been a long time since someone suggest that I was a "younger person". 😉

3 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I was sat in the Trinity and there was a lot of moaning. Reminded me why I don’t go anymore 😂

It's been like this whenever I've gone recently, completely puts me off going.

Can we get a VillaTalk block in the new North Stand? If you moan you get the ban hammer 🤔

• Like 1

The atmosphere was a bit subdued yesterday but I think a bit of perspective is needed. It was 11th against 12th. In terms of the game itself it was hardly a classic was it. There was one shot on target all game. It got a bit nervy in the last 20 mins which is always the case if you only have a one goal lead regardless of how in control you are and we were in complete control and they never threatened.

I am sure if we get a sniff this season of realistically finishing top 7/8 and a European place then the atmosphere will improve. We continue to stay firmly entrenched in mid table then I'd expect more of the same. That is not unique to us though as clubs in similar positions the atmosphere is hardly going to be electric is it ,although as things stand we are one of very few clubs with zero fear of relegation and little chance of Europe.

• Like 4

I went yesterday - I thought the atmosphere was quite good considering we are mid table and playing for basically no more than pride with no cup runs under our belts.  We ain’t gonna be rivalling the likes of arsenal for atmosphere when they’re sat at the top of the table and we are top of the bottom half 😂 I think the atmosphere matches the team currently and I have no complaints. 

• Like 2

It fascinates me how empty the ground is towards the end of the game. On 85mins about half of the fans in our section were starting to leave. As we move into the 5mins of injury time another quarter left. There was literally one quarter of our block left at the full time whistle.

Surely this isnt people needing to be somewhere straight from the game. It just seems odd to me when the game is in the balance that you dont want to see the outcome. I mean I suppose it doesnt matter whether you're there or not, you cant impact the outcome. Its bizarre as to the volume of people though who dont want to see the conclusion.

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It fascinates me how empty the ground is towards the end of the game. On 85mins about half of the fans in our section were starting to leave. As we move into the 5mins of injury time another quarter left. There was literally one quarter of our block left at the full time whistle.

Surely this isnt people needing to be somewhere straight from the game. It just seems odd to me when the game is in the balance that you dont want to see the outcome. I mean I suppose it doesnt matter whether you're there or not, you cant impact the outcome. Its bizarre as to the volume of people though who dont want to see the conclusion.

You seen the train station after full time ? Personally I drive, but when I used to get the train if you don’t leave before the final whistle you won’t get home until the following Saturday. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

25 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

You seen the train station after full time ? Personally I drive, but when I used to get the train if you don’t leave before the final whistle you won’t get home until the following Saturday. 

Ye no I get it to some extent. It's just that the last ten minutes is effectively the deciding phase of the game. If you've committed to being out for 6 hours on a Saturday for the football, what difference is six and a half hours?

What annoyed me about yesterday we looking comfortable leading 1-0 passing the ball around going forward then a few backwards pasisng and you hearing load groans and moans.

No wonder why people say we have a difficult fanbase ffs. As a player id be annoyed at that its not like we are getting thumped  3-0 ffs

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Ye no I get it to some extent. It's just that the last ten minutes is effectively the deciding phase of the game. If you've committed to being out for 6 hours on a Saturday for the football, what difference is six and a half hours?

I know what you mean but generally it isn’t half hour difference, it can be much more than an hour for some on bad days which we’ve had some with the trains recently and I suppose for those with families it could be a big deal.  I’m there for the full game because I can.

My issue is those that go down for half time after 35/38/40 minutes, I know the service is shocking but if you are that desperate for food and drink then you have issues, why not just have food before the game starts.  I go to the toilets at half time and have no issues in 15 minutes.  It’s just annoying when the rest of us are trying to watch a game, I know my mate missed a goal recently because the people in front had to get up for people moving early, which is unfair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I get what you're saying, however I'm an old(ish) fart who appreciates the patient build up, and the mouthy git wanting us to lump it was an acne-scarred yoooof who looked like he spends most of his life on Fortnite 😄

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What annoyed me about yesterday we looking comfortable leading 1-0 passing the ball around going forward then a few backwards pasisng and you hearing load groans and moans.

No wonder why people say we have a difficult fanbase ffs. As a player id be annoyed at that its not like we are getting thumped  3-0 ffs

To be fair I think that’s because we draw the team in and then players like Konsa especially yesterday aren’t taking advantage of the space they’ve made.  The team are learning this way of playing so will not get it right just yet but Konsa kept looking back to Mings when Cash, with a simple pass, was available….not a long ball just open, with space to run into.  They did the hard work but didn’t take the space they created.  It’s just fans getting use to us playing this way but also players taking advantage the space they are creating and fans seeing that space. 

5 hours ago, Ponky said:

I was in the Trinity yesterday and based on zero prior experience i thought the atmosphere was pretty good but there was not as much singing as I expected there would be.

Just out of curiosity, what's the name of song they play at the final whistle? Seemed the only time the whole crowd joined in together and gave me a nice tingly feeling 😊

Jeff Beck - Hi ho silver lining

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair I think that’s because we draw the team in and then players like Konsa especially yesterday aren’t taking advantage of the space they’ve made.  The team are learning this way of playing so will not get it right just yet but Konsa kept looking back to Mings when Cash, with a simple pass, was available….not a long ball just open, with space to run into.  They did the hard work but didn’t take the space they created.  It’s just fans getting use to us playing this way but also players taking advantage the space they are creating and fans seeing that space. 

But the moments of the game were just slick passing in the middle of the pitch not when defence was involved.

We were totally crap at passing before emery came. Just cant understand why people are moaning when that is one area of our game thats improved

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turvontour said:

To be fair I used to just go to the pub after 😂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know what you mean but generally it isn’t half hour difference, it can be much more than an hour for some on bad days which we’ve had some with the trains recently and I suppose for those with families it could be a big deal.  I’m there for the full game because I can.

My issue is those that go down for half time after 35/38/40 minutes, I know the service is shocking but if you are that desperate for food and drink then you have issues, why not just have food before the game starts.  I go to the toilets at half time and have no issues in 15 minutes.  It’s just annoying when the rest of us are trying to watch a game, I know my mate missed a goal recently because the people in front had to get up for people moving early, which is unfair.

That pisses me off so much. All game yesterday people kept getting up throughout the game and it’s like why bother coming if you’re just gonna leave your seat for most the game? It’s very selfish to the people around you also.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This isn’t the plan though. It was infuriating me how many times people wanted the ball playing to our full backs deep in their own half with nowhere to go. Just because a player is in a bit of space doesn’t mean that the pass should be played.

We were far more effective (and our goal came from) getting the full backs high up the pitch and playing the ball in behind the defence. A few extra passes in the middle of the pitch to allow for an overlap and then an incisive pass is perfectly understandable.

There was one point when the groans were particularly loud after a period of about 7 or 8 passes in our half where Douglas Luiz literally had his hands above his head clapping to encourage the players. I just hope that eventually more fans get used to this style of football because the constant calling for long balls is tiresome.

Â