Axel Witsel

Delphinho123

Was going through Witsel's stats and, it looks he's another one of those water carrier types. Has a very high amount passes attempted, touches on the ball. More focused on general distribution in the midfield area than anything else and not really one to put in a pass that breaks through the defence. That's probably the job of whoever plays further up the field from him. Admittedly, we don't really have one of those types at the club so it does fulfill a niche we don't have.

Which is why I would say but then I thought about it more. Couldn't Douglas Luiz fulfill this role for us already? That's my main concern when we bring in players of these types. That they require a lot of time and possession on the ball to make their mark. But we're not a team with much midfield possession. Which could explain why some of Luiz's performances haven't been good.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that we already have that midfielder type in Douglas Luiz. Its just we play in a way that doesn't really utilize a player of his skillset to its true potential, too much of the midfield gets bypassed as we aim to get the ball to the attack as quickly as possible. And if we bring a midfielder of this type whether it would be Witsel or anyone else, they will suffer the same fate if we don't change our tactics.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Was going through Witsel's stats and, it looks he's another one of those water carrier types. Has a very high amount passes attempted, touches on the ball. More focused on general distribution in the midfield area than anything else and not really one to put in a pass that breaks through the defence. That's probably the job of whoever plays further up the field from him. Admittedly, we don't really have one of those types at the club so it does fulfill a niche we don't have.

Which is why I would say but then I thought about it more. Couldn't Douglas Luiz fulfill this role for us already? That's my main concern when we bring in players of these types. That they require a lot of time and possession on the ball to make their mark. But we're not a team with much midfield possession. Which could explain why some of Luiz's performances haven't been good.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that we already have that midfielder type in Douglas Luiz. Its just we play in a way that doesn't really utilize a player of his skillset to its true potential, too much of the midfield gets bypassed as we aim to get the ball to the attack as quickly as possible. And if we bring a midfielder of this type whether it would be Witsel or anyone else, they will suffer the same fate if we don't change our tactics.

Agreed. Last week against the barcodes he was free in space demanding the ball but it wasn't passed to him regularly.

Â