Axel Witsel

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, sne said:

If he's been shopped to us by his agent it's likely due to the word being out among clubs and agents that we in the market for a DCM/CM, which would make sense.

This could be one of those Dean Smith classics. 'We are done, nuless the right deal becomes available nad we have to take it'. It's obvious we've been putting the feelers out for centre mids before and after the JWP bid, so it seems likely the agent knows we're after a midfielder and has alerted us to his availability.

Whether or not Lange etc think he's the right fit is another issue entirely. I hope they do, as on a 1-2 year deal with an option to extend, he could be a superb signing for us, both on and off the pitch.

"he truly thrives in a deeper No.6 role: the so-called midfield enforcer.

His job is a vital one because he provides the link between Dortmund's defence and attack: anticipating opponents' movement, winning the ball back and acting as the launchpad for his team's forays forward. The importance of rapid transitional play in the modern game makes a player of Witsel's technical ability and tactical intelligence absolutely indispensable.

"It's not easy in the deep midfield slot," Favre pointed out at the start of the 2018/19 season. "When you get the ball, there's always someone breathing down your neck. But Axel is very good in those situations, very composed."

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/is-axel-witsel-borussia-dortmund-s-most-important-player-5575

Yeah let's get him in - 2 year contract, option for third. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Surely not knowing who Axel is just means you don't watch the Belgian national team or the bundesliga? I don't think age has anything to do with it really. 

If you don't know who a retired player is then fair enough as a youngster, but if you don't know a current player 

He was a fairly big name a decade ago, so I disagree with your comment.

The whole "they have offered him to us" makes me think this won't happen.

With the scouting network we now have I think we would have already been aware of this player rather than wait to be offered.

3 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Wtf does "offered to Aston Villa" even mean?

Is his agent picking random clubs out of his special UEFA-issued yellow pages and dialling them at random asking if they want to sign his player?

Pretty much, agents do throw their clients names about to clubs. I do wonder if Ronaldo leaving Juventus will open up some wage space for him now. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not gonna lie. I’m more concerned with the thread title still being spelled incorrectly than whether or not we sign him.

If only I knew how to change it.. 
I’ve let you all down. 

I’ll stick to what I’m good at - criticising el Ghazi. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If only I knew how to change it.. 
I’ve let you all down. 

I’ll stick to what I’m good at - criticising el Ghazi. 

No not at all!

So you reckon we’ll sign him next Wednesday then? 😜

Â