Washing machines

robby b

I've lived on my own for 13 years and have made do* with 2 screwdrivers (flat head and Phillips head), a sink plunger and a Swiss army knife

*my Dad did live a few miles away and has a garage full of tools! Bit more difficult now he's moved away. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sorry, what? You walked for an hour to get a mattress?!

😆 I didn't drag it home! 😄 It's going to be delivered to me next week. 👍

Edited by robby b
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robby b said:

You're so nervous?! What about me?! Blimey. That makes me feel even more nervous now. Imagine if I flood the whole apartment block plus the house next-door! I guess I'll go to court and be given a bill of millions of pounds of damages.

Your landlord should have insurance to cover that 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robby b said:

I didn't drag it home! 😄 It's going to be delivered to me next week. 👍

Ahhhh, phew :D

Was making me really question the whole washing machine thing. As you were, good sir…

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, robby b said:

Well, till recently I did have one tool for about five years: a screwdriver that came in very useful sometimes. I should buy a new one and one or two more but first I'll buy... a pliers!!! Tomorrow morning as promised.

Adjustable spanner is what you need for the job, ideally. I mentioned “pliers or mole grips” earlier on the basis that you said you had no tools, thinking that you’d maybe find something in a drawer or cupboard that might do the job at a push.1AFA1531-9083-49D8-841A-F496E797E5BF.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe wait for @blandy second opinion, but I’d put some pliers on those flat sides and try and rotate it

318-BD082-F5-C2-4-CFB-9-F01-442-E1-E4-F3

I think the screw in the top just holds the blue plastic lever on (which has probably snapped off).

I think @blandy mentioned that the blue (and sometimes red) plastic ends snap off really easily. I've done this myself before and the metal connector is what you'll be left with. I had this precise problem when we moved in here as the previous owner had left broken pipes connected trying to be helpful. Hopefully if @robby bcan twist the flat bits with a spanner/pliers as @Genie suggested you should hear water gushing through the hose and into the machine. I'd leave it connected whilst trying but have a bucket/towel to hand just in case and make sure you know where your stop tap is for peace of mind. If you have concerns on the pipe /connectors buy a new one for a couple of quid.

Before you turn the machine on though make sure you're waste pipe is secure in the drain. You don't want mucky water shooting all over the place. 

I did a quick scan of the video below and he seems to explain the basics well which should give you a bit more of an understanding how it all works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of washing machines, if you do get it running @robby b I’d recommend cleaning it first before washing any clothes. Dishwasher tablets do the trick to remove any grime and shite in the drum and pipes. On the hottest wash cycle! Then just keep washing and washing to use as much water as possible to piss off your landlord paying the rates! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Adjustable spanner is what you need for the job, ideally. I mentioned “pliers or mole grips” earlier on the basis that you said you had no tools, thinking that you’d maybe find something in a drawer or cupboard that might do the job at a push.1AFA1531-9083-49D8-841A-F496E797E5BF.jpeg

Thanks! I'll go to the "ironmongers" down  the road this morning and ask for this. I've moved to a small town in the countryside, 10km north of Swansea. I popped into the household items shop on Thursday and the way the manager and assistant stared at me suspiciously and frowned reminded me of that weird League of Gentlemen show: "We'll have no trouble here! This is a local shop! For local people!".

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Thanks! I'll go to the "ironmongers" down  the road this morning and ask for this. I've moved to a small town in the countryside, 10km north of Swansea. I popped into the household items shop on Thursday and the way the manager and assistant stared at me suspiciously and frowned reminded me of that weird League of Gentlemen show: "We'll have no trouble here! This is a local shop! For local people!".

You can always buy stuff like this off amazon with next day delivery. 

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Is the landlord actually paying for the water? Wouldn't be surprised if they'd tried farming it on to the tenants if they can. 

AFAIK the water bill is usually the responsibility of the tenant. It was when I rented a flat. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, robby b said:

I've moved to a small town in the countryside, 10km north of Swansea. I popped into the household items shop on Thursday and the way the manager and assistant stared at me suspiciously and frowned reminded me of that weird League of Gentlemen show: "We'll have no trouble here! This is a local shop! For local people!".

That's just Wales in general isn't it? :trollface:

29 minutes ago, robby b said:

Thanks! I'll go to the "ironmongers" down  the road this morning and ask for this

A B&Q or Halfords type place is another suggestion if the local ironmongers can’t help. You might also find a small toolkit would be a good option. Often they’re priced much cheaper than buying the items individually. I shall monitor your progress from the train to VP

Â