Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

18 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Complaining about the flights and standards fair enough - but saying the national team cannot give him exposure...surely you play for your country because you love your country?

Also, does he say 'Playing for national team not gonna make Real Madrid call me' near the very start? He spoke too quick.

I struggled to pick up any reference to Real Madrid tbf

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alot of Jamaicans are pissed.

I never watched the full I terview but some of the snippets make horrible headlines.

Bit of background though, this has alot of Craig Butler written into it, he's been " beefing " with the JFF for years and will undoubtedly have been instrumental in his ear.

Leon definitely DOES love Jamaica and the National team, but he's been " spoilt " throughout his career with facilities and a bloke who has always made him believe he's the best player in the world and deserves the best.

JFF is also a terrible organisation but truth is somewhere in between.

They are both wrong and now it's gotten petty.

As I mentioned yesterday, a few of the girls from the World Cup no longer play for Jamaica ( Bunny Shaw from City for example ) and have come out with similar ( less harsh ) rhetoric, but due to a much lower profile it hasn't made news or wound ppl up like this.

Let’s be honest if we look at this dispassionately it’s a bit of a spoiled baby (most footballers) and a bit of a joke organisation (most FAs) having a spat. And as you say it isn’t just Bailey - Antonio is also skipping squads isn’t he, but without speaking about it?

Can only be good for Villa though. Last thing we need is Bailey needing to take a flight with three changes from the UK to Jamaica (his big complaint) then the same again home, and expect him to perform in the PL. I’m all for players playing for their countries but if you’re Emi Martinez this week you took a private jet to Philadelphia for the Argentina game and you’re staying in the Ritz there - coming back and performing after that is a bit different. And yet what can the Jamaican FA do if they’ve got no money? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I struggled to pick up any reference to Real Madrid tbf

14-16 seconds 'Playing for the national team not gonna make Real Madrid call me'. He definitely does say that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

14-16 seconds 'Playing for the national team not gonna make Real Madrid call me'. He definitely does say that.

I don't really take offence to that if i'm honest, Reals stature is unmatched imo

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

I don't really take offence to that if i'm honest, Reals stature is unmatched imo

No I don't think anyone would turn down a move there, but he does come across a bit self entitled in the clips I've heard. What can Jamaica do for me? What about what can you do for Jamaica? As JV said though sounds like there's more to it with Butler etc.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Right, got it now. It seems he is making a general point that playing for the Jamaican national team doesn’t raise the profile of players - it’s rather the other way round that the Jamaican team benefits from its players getting high profiles through success at top clubs.

From the context, it’s hard to see that he is saying he actually expects Real Madrid to be phoning him any time soon.

I don’t know anything about how the Jamaican Federation treats its players but if it is anything like the way Cricket West Indies treats its top players, this exchange is the least surprising I have ever heard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Right, got it now. It seems he is making a general point that playing for the Jamaican national team doesn’t raise the profile of players - it’s rather the other way round that the Jamaican team benefits from its players getting high profiles through success at top clubs.

From the context, it’s hard to see that he is saying he actually expects Real Madrid to be phoning him any time soon.

I don’t know anything about how the Jamaican Federation treats its players but if it is anything like the way Cricket West Indies treats its top players, this exchange is the least surprising I have ever heard.

I know he's not expecting that. My question is with his character - if you're a passionate countryman - you do anything to help - you're not solely looking at what's in it for you - but it depends on how badly he's been treated I guess.

Some are saying he's not happy because he had a disciplinary on his last callup when he stayed out late and missed the team bus.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I know he's not expecting that. My question is with his character - if you're a passionate countryman - you do anything to help - you're not solely looking at what's in it for you - but it depends on how badly he's been treated I guess.

Some are saying he's not happy because he had a disciplinary on his last callup when he stayed out late and missed the team bus.

Whatever, it seems like a storm in a teacup..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Let’s be honest if we look at this dispassionately it’s a bit of a spoiled baby (most footballers) and a bit of a joke organisation (most FAs) having a spat. And as you say it isn’t just Bailey - Antonio is also skipping squads isn’t he, but without speaking about it?

Can only be good for Villa though. Last thing we need is Bailey needing to take a flight with three changes from the UK to Jamaica (his big complaint) then the same again home, and expect him to perform in the PL. I’m all for players playing for their countries but if you’re Emi Martinez this week you took a private jet to Philadelphia for the Argentina game and you’re staying in the Ritz there - coming back and performing after that is a bit different. And yet what can the Jamaican FA do if they’ve got no money? 

If you see the state of our pitch sometimes, I'm usually more worried that players come away without injury over any result.

Even the coach has complained about things like this.

If you note he also mentioned how he was travelling/playing with broken toes, messed up feet for JFF etc 

This was at the beginning period of his time with us and all the injuries as well.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

There is alot of history there, from Butler and Leon in the past claiming JFF tried to sabotage him when he was younger and all sorts.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Exactly... It was a hypothetical and/or throwaway comment as an example.

Don't really care about anything he's said in an interview as long as he performs on the pitch for us. Every single one of our players is going to leave if a top CL or title challenging team come in for them, games the game.

Looks like he's not playing for Jamaica though and gets 2 weeks rest, which is great news. More of our players retiring from international football the better, Watkins is going to start for England later and I'll be counting down the minutes until he's subbed off.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

My question is with his character - if you're a passionate countryman - you do anything to help

I have a great character - one of the best! - and couldn’t care less about my national team. Not sure those two things are connected :)

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I have a great character - one of the best! - and couldn’t care less about my national team. Not sure those two things are connected :)

Fair point. But don't play for them at all and have zero caps then if all you're concerned about is self exposure :)

But as I said - there's obviously more to it.

Edited by Tom13

33 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Fair point. But don't play for them at all and have zero caps then if all you're concerned about is self exposure :)

But as I said - there's obviously more to it.

He was actually called up to Belgium ( Or asked to declare ) I think and there were alot of murmerings about Germany at one point as well. ( Not saying he would necessarily get into those sides ) But he chose Jamaica.

This was when he was " hot " on the scene.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was actually called up to Belgium ( Or asked to declare ) I think and there were alot of murmerings about Germany at one point as well. ( Not saying he would necessarily get into those sides ) But he chose Jamaica.

No idea mate - can't see anything about Belgium ever calling him up.

Saw this yesterday though:

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No idea mate - can't see anything about Belgium ever calling him up.

Saw this yesterday though:

Yeah I did see that at one point Butler was trying to do a Caleb Chukwemeka type deal 😂

Some people still try to convince themselves that Caleb was brought in as " he was a good player in his own right " I'll never forget haha

• Haha 1

@Tom13 just had a look and you are right, those notions would seem to be non starters due to the required eligibility.

Also found stories claiming he was being " monitored " by Southgate and England fans were excited by the prospect but I remember none of that.

https://talksport.com/football/344198/explained-can-leon-bailey-play-england-why-bayer-leverkusen-starlet-cannot-and-never-will/

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/leon-bailey-country-england-belgium-jamaica-bayer.jsp

https://www.goal.com/en-qa/news/why-leon-bailey-wont-be-englands-surprise-star-at-the-world-cup/1gppbz4gkgoul1aecw1m9qy6hm

Not sure where him " claiming " eligibility for England came from though as I see no quotes from him.

However it seems even then, he wanted to " focus " more on Club Football.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â