Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

3 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Isn’t it ridiculous? I know you were as excited about this signing as I was, he’s an absolute shadow of the player he was at Leverkusen.

I’d take Bertie back in a second, even with his once a game suicide ball! 😂

I was over the moon. I've defended him and I've made excuses for him. But it doesn't look like he's going to be the player we need. 

It's been said on other threads but wow did we piss away that Grealish money. 

• Like 1

As usual in English football, we were excited about him because he was explosive. It's always about pace. The reality is, his first touch just isn't really very good. If you need an extra second or 2 to get the ball under control, what good is your pace? Modern defenders are quick to catch you up over long sprints, as League Two Stevenage showed yesterday. You need more than just that. Traore looked like he had the pace of a retired golfer, but he was able to beat defenders and get into dangerous positions. Why? Because his first touch sticks to his boot like glue, and he keeps the ball on a string while dribbling so he doesn't lose it often.

He can look world class at times, and at other times like he hardly is a professional football player.

Shame it's not a 50/50 ratio, but rather a 20/80 (am I being generous?). And at that point it just isn't worth it.

People saying Traore is better - he isn't. But at the same time, he also isn't as bad, if that makes any sense. Not sure weather, on average, who I'd pick.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I was over the moon. I've defended him and I've made excuses for him. But it doesn't look like he's going to be the player we need. 

It's been said on other threads but wow did we piss away that Grealish money. 

I don’t buy into this whole “The Premier League, the best League in the world” stuff, but there are some players who’s skill set allows them to be very successful here and it just seems that Leon Bailey is one of those not made for the PL. I could see him going back to the Bundesliga.

I think he will be gone by August at the latest.

Edited by Woody1000

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Where did you get this idea? Seems one of the most humble lads in the group. It was a bad performance and he's in wretched form, but no need to lie on his character.

You think he is humble - that’s perfectly fine.

I think both him and his dad have over inflated views of his worth.

This is also fine.

For what it’s worth in my opinion he has been a total flop. I keep hearing give him more time - why? Apart from the very odd glimpse - he has been dreadful and I am very doubtful it will change imo 

The premier league always finds a player out. The split second less time to control the  ball or the slightly better fullback than you are used to finds you out  . It is the best league in the world with the best managers and the majority of the best players

Pulisic Werner Havertz Sancho and Bailey were all superstars in Germany.  

Only one of those has even been ok. The rest have failed . Thats nearly 300 million spent on the cream of talent from the Bundedliga. 

10 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

This is also fine.

For what it’s worth in my opinion he has been a total flop. I keep hearing give him more time - why? Apart from the very odd glimpse - he has been dreadful and I am very doubtful it will change imo 

His dad, sure. And he'll have his reasons for that. But there's no evidence of Bailey himself having an inflated view of his worth. Everything he's said in interviews and posted on social media and even more circumstantial evidence like his body language on the pitch point to the opposite conclusion.

Ine thing i will say about leon is its jot that he isnt trying. He cares that im sure of its just the consistency thats a major problem

Since the restart he has looked shite i must say. Before the break he looked exceptional

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

His dad, sure. And he'll have his reasons for that. But there's no evidence of Bailey himself having an inflated view of his worth. Everything he's said in interviews and posted on social media and even more circumstantial evidence like his body language on the pitch point to the opposite conclusion.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this particular subject 👍🏻

8 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

This is also fine.

Based on what? He's nothing like Craig Butler - and more to the point, what premier league level footballer thinks of themself as crap? They all believe in their own ability, that comes with playing sport at the highest level. 

The point of persevering with him is that he's a very talented player who cost a lot of money and he is going through a terrible vein of form. We have an investment to protect and get the most out of.

The guy broke down on the pitch the other day because he really cares but no, he's arrogant apparently. Pathetic. 

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

36 league apps in his first season so that's nonsense.

Followed by 9 last year so that's nonsense.

Edit: oh and he's currently injured right now.

Edited by AV82

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Based on what? He's nothing like Craig Butler - and more to the point, what premier league level footballer thinks of themself as crap? They all believe in their own ability, that comes with playing sport at the highest level. 

The point of persevering with him is that he's a very talented player who cost a lot of money and he is going through a terrible vein of form. We have an investment to protect and get the most out of.

The guy broke down on the pitch the other day because he really cares but no, he's arrogant apparently. Pathetic. 

Look this could go round and around and in reality there is no way of proving either way.

I will stand corrected but I’m thinking that around spring last year - he had only just returned from injury and there were reports of him being upset or riled at a lack of game time.

This being the case is it really such a surprise that I might just think - how does he view his place in the squad? Confidence is everything in football I would totally acknowledge this and I hope his confidence returns asap 

Now I don’t want any Villa player to be happy being on the bench but there is a time and place and also how do you think this would go down with team mates?

Its one of those that boil down to opinion nothing more or nothing less.

8 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Look this could go round and around and in reality there is no way of proving either way.

I will stand corrected but I’m thinking that around spring last year - he had only just returned from injury and there were reports of him being upset or riled at a lack of game time.

This being the case is it really such a surprise that I might just think - how does he view his place in the squad? Confidence is everything in football I would totally acknowledge this and I hope his confidence returns asap 

Now I don’t want any Villa player to be happy being on the bench but there is a time and place and also how do you think this would go down with team mates?

Its one of those that boil down to opinion nothing more or nothing less.

So you're basing your views on a player entirely on conjecture? If you're the one making assertions, then you're the one who needs to back it up otherwise you have to give the player the benefit of the doubt - it's entirely unfair otherwise, is it not?

I think one of the problems at the moment is Bailey is the only wide option we have, unless I am missing someone other than Ollie. Successive managers have cleared out AEG, Trez & Traore without bringing in any replacements. This has left us in a position where there is not alternative for this berth and we are having to play him when he is not on form. The current situation is not solely Leon's fault. Lets hope this is addressed soon.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The premier league always finds a player out. The split second less time to control the  ball or the slightly better fullback than you are used to finds you out  . It is the best league in the world with the best managers and the majority of the best players

Pulisic Werner Havertz Sancho and Bailey were all superstars in Germany.  

Only one of those has even been ok. The rest have failed . Thats nearly 300 million spent on the cream of talent from the Bundedliga. 

Doesn’t bode well for Bellingham then? You forgot Haaland, De Bruyne, Son and others.

Â